The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Redyeing the greenishly-greying Albion. Possible?

Is this possible? I'm going to sell it and thinking it would help to lose the green-grey seat color because it makes it looked used way more than it is .
    Last edited by flyracing; May. 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Don't do it! It will never take the dye the way it did the first time and often makes the saddle look worse. Instead, use leather darkening oil. That will make it look better. The dye is a bad idea. Spirit based dyes are the best for permanently dying leather, but only when it's never been dyed. It will soak up unevenly since it's been dyed and conditioned (and cleaned).

Using water based dyes never works well and a lot of it will come off when you clean the saddle...or on someone's clothes when they ride.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Re-dying a saddle is never a good thing.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

The higher the quality the leather is will not hold the dye. Which is why your albion has turned colors.
    Doesn't really matter what brand, better quality leathers will at some point in time will turn colors.

Do not dye it!

Use mineral oil to help darken it and Horseman's One Step afterwards.

Mineral oil? I have never heard of using that, and I've been trained by saddle repair and makers that you use leather darkening oil, like Hydrophane's leather darkening oil: http://www.doversaddlery.com/hydroph...lgzyajfptfeg45
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Was very doubtful myself having never heard of using mineral oil as well, until recently from a saddle maker. Tried it and loved it.

Horselovers has a good price on Tanners Leather Darkening Oil. I just ordered it for he same problem. We'll see...

If its the very fine leather that turns greeny/ grey no amount if oiling will change the colour. There are a couple of brands of saddles made of this fine leather that are notorious for going green and nothing works. I know i have a couple. A friend if mine did try to dye hers and completely ruined it as a show saddle. It was not fit to be seen in public. Rather than go back to black it turned a revolting browny green which made it look like a rank slime pond. Dont do it. And dont try to drench it in oil. These fine leathers donot take oil well nor do they change colour with them.

Not sure who said to "drench" the saddle in oil. But leather darkening oil will help. Nothing will fix it, but a light oiling with leather darkening oil helps.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Elk hide Stubbens (Scandica) do this - clean, then condition with Hamanol (multiple very light coats 12-24 hours apart & buff between each coat).

Occasionally you'll hear of successfully (re)dyed saddles BUT these are generally done by professionals.

Just tried the Tanners Leather Darkening Oil. I'll know better what it looks like after a day but right away it made my knee rolls extremely darker - almost like new, but not so much the rest of the saddle. The knee rolls are made of a much softer leather than the seat and panels.

I've used warmed olive oil and brush it on in multiple light coats to get rid of fading and greening. Worked great. Warming it the microwave helps it soak in faster and better.

When I sold a saddle through Pelham Saddlery they have a cleaning/darkening regime you can have them do. They wouldn't tell me the whole secret but showed before/after pictures and it made a difference. My saddle didn't actually need it, but they were kind of excited about showing off what they could do.

Not sure where/how you plan to sell it but they did a good job with mine.