The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

This board was great up until the Canadian BB went down and all of the folks who frequent that board decided to take this one over!

It's the same drivel they swill on the EMG board and frankly, it's getting tiresome I'm afraid... how many touque and thong references am I supposed to find amusing? This is no different from the stuff they slam the kids on the emg kids board for doing... it's the sort of thing that could easily be emailed! We don't all need to be involved.

My profile says I am from Colorado... well, that is where I was born. I am embarassed to say I live in Ontario... and was embarrased to be identfied as such. I gave up on the Canadian BB because it was nothing but grown adults acting like children, stupid jokes repeated over and over again and virtually no useful horse information of any kind.

So, you have all noted that if any of us don't like the threads, we shouldn't read them. Well, that's what I have done. Unfortunately, others will eventually do the same and we will be left with nobody on the board to discuss horses with..

I've said all I have to say... I guess there is nothing left to do other than wait for a certain canadian contributor to flame me with a "big words" speech! (*rolls eyes*)

Yes, I do agree that there have been plenty of silly threads on here lately. But remember that we are all suffering a bit of cabin fever as we have to move to indoor arenas (especially us Canadians, eh Canter?). I like to be able to come on here and read funny threads, but I also know that if I post a serious thread, I will get serious replies. Isn't that what makes this place great?

And Snowbird, I will admit it...I am one of those young people who is frittering away their life in front of an empty box while your generation of wiser and more fulfilled horsepeople is off interacting. And you know what? I don't care!!! I love being able to come on here and have worthwhile discussions, have funny discussions, make friends. Who says that you need to know someone face to face before you can connect with them? I was adopted by someone on here (Heidi!), and I've never even met her! This board challenges my intellect, my creativity, my morals, and my sense of hunour. Not to mention my tolerance, which is being sorely tested now! I will restrict myself to this comment; correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have more posts to your credit than anyone else on this board, and yet you attack us "younger generation" members for wasting time? To me, THAT is hypocrisy. I skipped a grade, keep up a 95 average, ride 5 times a week, and am a national level debator (hehe, hence the ranting)...I have plenty going on in my life, thank you.

I have met so many wonderful friends on here, gained so much wisdom, and a whole new perspective on horses (not to mention the rest of life!).

Snowbird, I imagine you won't be too happy that I am "attacking" you, but please humour me here. Decide what emotion you are feeling in response to this post...then ask yourself how you could be feeling like that if this BB doesn't allow people to interact. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resorting to attacks and "flaming" certainly solved some great dilemma of the generation didn't it?

Do you some how feel vindicated? Yes! wtywmn had it right, I wasn't trying to chastise or put anyone down. I was trying to understand since there is obviously a generation gap.

Badly, explained I am sure but it was your posts that indicated this was a place for your downtime. Personally I just think that while these BB's are great they should not take the place of personal friendships and I just think that confidences are better shared privately.

Conversational skills are equally important to typing skills. And, yes I am addicted, I looked forward to the BB because it is a place where we have all been able to share ideas and develop solutions to the problems that exist on multiple fronts in this world.

Unfortunately, out in my world there are not too many willing to develop and consider these ideas and there seems to be an abundance of chit-chat, gossip and complaining about life. So with a broader geographical spectrum it was pleasant to find some others who shared my interest in the more intense isses of our world.

I should like to point out another thing, there is a generational difference. In my day it was quite rude to have a private limited communication when sitting in a living room with other people who were not privy to the same information and interests.

Since I think of this as a living room you will have to forgive me if I didnot understand that is no longer bad manners.

Generally, those threads which appear to be very inside kinds of jokes I do avoid. This one indicated a concern about the changes that have ensued since there were only 500 of us posting. We did deal with the major social and civic problems with a view to finding ways to improve the situation.

While at times the threads were rather like soap operas of dilemmas, we tried to assist others and were not quite so introspective and more a total community. I admit to the weakness of caring more about those things but in no way implied that there was not also room for some frivolity and satire.

I am however equally offended when most of the BB threads seem to be private conversations couched in codes and language not related to the rest of us. I also am disappointed when the serious threads degenerate into more of that private type of inside humor.

[This message has been edited by Snowbird (edited 12-01-2000).]

MY goodness can't we all just get along??
    I have stopped posting here because I find most of the subjects "inside jokes that I'm not in on " but they are funny!!! and actually the baby carrot bit which I find innocuos(sp?)was thought by certain Towerheads to be some sort of slurr concerning "you know who" which I told them it was not.Anyway I find the recent post funny to read but not necessary to add to.So please lighten up and chuckle where you deem funny ok?
    Brilyntrip

Polo, I don't think you face the fate of being "flamed," although I for one, am insulted by your post and find it to be quite offensive.

There have been a number of threads on here that were of no interest to me whatsoever and I didn't bother to open them. Perhaps you should exercise the same option!

I happen to enjoy our *Canadian linguist* thank you very much. This is all in good fun. We still discuss things of importance and whether or not you agree, a lot of the frivolity is of equal importance. I was glad to see though, you did utilize both spellings of embarrassed. Just not the correct one!

My suggestion would be to "lighten up." Life by it's own definition, is serious enough.
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quinn:
    Polo, I don't think you face the fate of being "flamed," although I for one, am insulted by your post and find it to be quite offensive.

There have been a number of threads on here that were of no interest to me whatsoever and I didn't bother to open them. Perhaps you should exercise the same option!

I happen to enjoy our *Canadian linguist* thank you very much. This is all in good fun. We still discuss things of importance and whether or not you agree, a lot of the frivolity is of equal importance. I was glad to see though, you did utilize both spellings of embarrassed. Just not the correct one!

My suggestion would be to "lighten up." Life by it's own definition, is serious enough.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to second that one, Quinn.

And in defence of the EMG BB, I would like to point out that, along with a certain degree of silliness, we do debate several important issues without resorting to hurling personal insults most of the time. I would also like to add that the Kids Forum on EMG has stricter behavioural guidelines because it IS a Kids (PG-13 content only) forum.

While I have lurked on this topic, allowing all the comments to wash over me - absorbing both the negative and positive with equal interest, it seems necessary to point out that the silly threads seem to pop up when there is a LACK of serious threads. There is a LACK of good serious threads for discussion because we haven't thought of any fresh topics. As someone else said, "If I have to read another helmet thread I'm going to scream!!" Add to that chaps, drawreins, Help I need... and all the rest.

If you want the silly, fun threads to decrease, increase the content for discussions...but don't recycle the same old things.

It's very easy for people who rarely contribute to content both here and on the Canadian BB (especially on the Canadian BB) to criticise. Seems being negative is so much easier than finding something constructive to say.

INHO, some of the funny threads have shown an intellect far greater than some of the more ahem, ahem, "Serious Topics." I'm all for an equal balance. But to place the blame on some of our brightest, or to say, "Well, back when we were just 500" is a cop out.

Post some interesting, provocative threads and you will get some interesting dialogue.

Personally those AHSA rule threads are boring for me. I'm Canadian so this is no big surprise. However you don't see me complaining about content that's technically not for everyone.

I'm not aiming this at any one person ... I just think it's sad that we all have way too much time on our hands for this petty whining and complaining - especially given that we are spending all this time on a topic that was begun out of spite over an arguement between BB members.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 12-01-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PD:
    I have to second that one, Quinn.

And in defence of the EMG BB, I would like to point out that, along with a certain degree of silliness, we do debate several important issues without resorting to hurling personal insults most of the time. I would also like to add that the Kids Forum on EMG has stricter behavioural guidelines because it IS a Kids (PG-13 content only) forum.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PD I chose to ignore Polo's remarks. They are neither constructive or fair. Perhaps if Polo had contributed to the content of the Canadian BB we would be missing her/him. It would seem we are not.

Snowbird I thin kthat you have so much good stuff to contribute! Why dont we try and get back all the old posters and really talk about some issues like what used to go on here! Where is Nancy? and Deerie? It seemed we had the AHSA all firgured out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

I have decided that Polo is trolling and is being meanspirited. You can't please everyone all of the time.

Goodness, I am offended and insulted all at once. Nothing like a little juice in the blood now and then.
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

I am neither trolling nor being meanspirited... I'm simply stating a few facts... and they remain;

1) With the recent developments on this BB, I was too embarassed to register myself as being from Ontario as I did not want to associated with "the canadian clique" group.

2) The Canadian BB holds *very little useful information and the usage has pretty much dwindled down to the same 5-8 people that have developed into a tightly knit mutual admiration society. (who have now spilled over to this board)

3) This board is quickly going the same route and I am not the only person to notice this... take note - I was not the one who started this thread was I? There have been several warnings to keep it horse related recently haven't there?

You can't argue the facts folks...

PS- Canter (Stable), I didn't post under this name on the other BB, so don't presume to think that you know me or whether or not my input is missed...

Ahem. To me, the secret to BB happiness is a balance of the serious and the funny. Yin and Yang. "Moderation in all things," as Terrance said so long ago. Or, as Kryswyn once so eloquently quoted James T. Kirk:

"Too much of anything, even love, isn't necessarily a good thing."
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Okay, okay... enough already.

I think the point has been made that not everyone is happy. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to do about it, or is everyone just here to gripe? http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I don't think any of the "cliquers" are purposefully trying to alienate anyone. It seems a bit unnecessary to be throwing insults around.

What I do know, is....embarrassed is spelled with two (2) rr and two (2) ss.
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Sorry you feel that way Polo. It's not good to be ashamed of where you come from. Still, that's your choice.

Actually, I find the Canadian BB, while it does not have nearly as much traffic as this one does, very informative. And I guess if you believe it has "dwindled to 5 or 8 people" who are a "mutual admiration society", well then, guilty as charged. I post every so often on there.

Yes, the injokes get tedious. But with the miracle of technology comes the miracle of being able to avoid. You don't like the threads, don't click on them. I don't have anything to say about thongs, toques, Tim Horton's coffee or anything like that, but I've successfully navigated it all without becoming completely bent out of shape...unlike some here!

I should be embaRRaSSed to have even wasted my time on this thread I suppose... Quinn, thanks for the spelling lesson... you have now replaced Heidi as my literary hero. BTW - There are also two ss's in Kiss My ...

Erin - go ahead and kick me off if you like - I won't be back anyway. I give up.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by polo:
    Quinn, thanks for the spelling lesson... you have now replaced Heidi as my literary hero. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm mad. Quinn, while I was out sharing a meaningful and personal conversation with the butcher about prime rib versus sirloin, it seems that you have underhandedly claimed my dearest prize, the jointly awarded COTH/Nobel prize for literature.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by polo:
    I should be embaRRaSSed to have even wasted my time on this thread I suppose... Quinn, thanks for the spelling lesson... you have now replaced Heidi as my literary hero. BTW - There are also two ss's in Kiss My ...

Erin - go ahead and kick me off if you like - I won't be back anyway. I give up.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Too Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry guys but he does have a point!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:
    People do not post on this board to the exclusion of everything else in their lives. They lead active careers, juggling horses, children, mortgages, volunteer work, friends and families. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, I envy the folks who are only juggling the above! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

heidi, howdja get so smart? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I've Had Enough Guest

I've had enough too. Polo makes some very good points. I to have noticed the alarming number of "Canadian" threads. At one point there were about 8 or so on the go, and they were all about "Timmies", polar fleece thongs and toques. The same stuff being being repeated over and over by the same people.

I do have another name that I usually use and I have about 200+ posts with that name and I like to respond to the HORSE RELATED threads. I'm not using that name today because I'd like to continue posting with that name.

Lets get our acts together people, and start some proper topics here and lets keep those topics away from thongs ok!

Also please do NOT check my spelling or my grammar, that's rude and uncalled for.

I'm hoping I don't have to write under this name again.