The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I agree, Erin. I think Colin needs to get some intense therapy - and quickly!

I agree. Half the posts don't make any sense unless you "get" the joke. AND it isn't about horses, horsemanship, showing or the like. I personally "solve" the problem by not reading the "in the know" posts. I am out of the loop..and glad. I used to love to come here to spar and argue both sides of a subject but now there is so much "junk mail" posted that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to...call me old.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>See updated queue: [URL=http://www.jacksonville.net/~patnjb/mascots.html<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>]http://www.jacksonville.net/~patnjb/mascots.html[/quote]

O my gosh I never laughed so hard in my life, This is why I keep coming back to this board lots of you have the best sence of humor bravo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Rags, I have to disagree I love it here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by PocoMary (edited 11-30-2000).]

I'm sorry Ryan, I never saw your apology. Where did you post it? I must have missed it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't think Moesha needs to apologize. He was merely responding to your controversial post as you wrote it. In some cases, age is irrelevant. And this is one of them. What you said was in fact more hurtful than anything he wrote. And in writing it, you should have expected to be bashed for it. My best piece of advice - if you can't take it, don't give it.

Thank you for the apology whereever it is. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps all of us should take better care of what we say before we post from now on. I for one do not like the idea of hurting someone's feelings, and have not been too happy at the way some people have made me feel over the last day or so - I'd be horrified to think I did the same to others.

Time to move on I think.
    You Strike Me Still

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:
    Erin.....you have stolen my last and final alter ego!!!! Yipes!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll loan you one of mine Colin. For a price.

Actually while I don't feel as a whole that the BB is going downhill, I have been VERY disappointed lately with the excessive amount of "IN" jokes, posts etc. I feel it's exclusionary...like a cyber version of Junior High with the in groups speaking about things only they knew, understood or could reference. People talked about the Towerheads board being for the in crowd but people here have created their own cliques - literally and figuativelly and they are running rampant. I believe people come together on BB like this to meet and discuss horse related topics with a wide range people from all over the country. For anything else...that's why e mail and IM were invented!

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Well said, Jair! You've been the voice of reason in several posts I've read today.

I think all of us could stand to think a bit more before posting in certain instances....

And for a kumbaya moment, can't we all just get along???
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RagsRules:
    Dear Fellow BBers,
    I think this BB is going downhill with the rest of them.
    Ryan
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is? I thought we started at the bottom.

I read most of the posts. Some of them I am not really personally involved with, but I must admit that they lighten up the day!!!
    I do love this BB. I sure hope that it is not going downhill. I used to post on a cockatiel board, but it DID go downhill when everyone started fighting. Plus, you got scolded big time if you even strayed off topic. Kind of made it mundane. Humor keeps life fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pony Fan:
    Actually while I don't feel as a whole that the BB is going downhill, I have been VERY disappointed lately with the excessive amount of "IN" jokes, posts etc. I feel it's exclusionary...like a cyber version of Junior High with the in groups speaking about things only they knew, understood or could reference. People talked about the Towerheads board being for the in crowd but people here have created their own cliques - literally and figuativelly and they are running rampant. I believe people come together on BB like this to meet and discuss horse related topics with a wide range people from all over the country. For anything else...that's why e mail and IM were invented!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]my thoughts exactly...well said [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    -Megan

What ever happened to DUST BUNNIES and COCH ROACHES? Those were the good old days, when everyone here knew everyone else and respected them and their opinions. This board is just too big now. It seems we hardly ever here from all those old posters anymore, I wonder where they have all gone [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Stupid GM he is the one that got all this started......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandstone:

Stupid GM he is the one that got all this started......
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Sandstone I joined during the GM thing...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

Erin wrote: I think I give up on alter egos. I'm no match for Hotmail and Yahoo. Maybe Melinda can devise a new plan for that one.

Erin, you mean moderators don't share secrets?

Don't you know you can ban IP addresses?

Some BBs refuse registration from Hotmail and Yahoo!

How about threatening inform employers how much time posters spend on BBs.

Sound extreme?

Well, it's happened on other popular BBs.

Erin and all the moderators on this BB are doing a wonderful job. Cut them some slack.
    Member, Equine Artist Clique

It is not too big, and it's is not too busy. It's just that we are spoiled because we had it to ourselves for a long time. And, we have to share.

Granted that out of two pages of posts a day there are only one or two that challenge the intellect. Perhaps, it is the result of the failing education system.

Some of the prattle that fills cyberspace is quite creative and shows some use of an imagination. Since they can't write books perhaps the web is the next best escape.

I think we need to show some tolerance and perhaps we can awaken those sleeping intellects hidden behind their wall of nonsense.

That is our mission, and this post will self destruct in 30 minutes!

I imagine this is what happens when Control Group B finds out the "Chewable Prozac" they've been receiving in their blind study is really Flintstones vitamins.

Thongs and chain nosebands are this seasons cockroaches and dustbunnies. Ryan, if you want to discuss horses make horse posts.

If you don't want to participate in something, don't.

A bulletin board is much like a coffee house or bar. Many people come in and make friends, have conversations, relax, and go on their way. This is a great board for people like us because all the participants are horsepeople.

I'd like to point out that this is the down time of year for horseshows. Indoors is over and the winter circuits have not yet begun. Folks, there isn't a whole lot going on to talk about.

We all have a fondness for a particular type of thread. Some like serious, some like funny. Some like both, and everyone's sense of enough is enough is different. Tolerance is the key to every door.

Personally, each time I see a thread about *@%&$!#^ helmets, I feel ill. Helmet harness threads make me reach for Tums. So I don't read them. Other people feel that way about underwear I'm sure. For all the shopping we all do for show clothes, horse clothes, clothes clothes, shoes, helmet harnesses, tack, horses, etc., we can shop around just a little for threads to read.

I love the threads here. I find wisdom, knowledge, compassion, and humor. I love the people here for possessing all of these qualities and wanting to share them. And after seeing the photos Colin posted, I loooove Sea Urchin best! Now for pity's sake will someone please tell me if he's single?!

Before some of you get bent about the Sea Urchin crack, I'd like to point out that it ties into Kelsy's social life thread since because all I do is ride and work to pay for riding, I have no life. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

In addition, I think we should all send a dollar to the Chronicle, care of Melinda, to purchase a new server with. When I returned from work today, I could not access these boards (yet again) and was forced to go out and socialize with non-horse people for my downtime. They have no appreciation for a culture of people donning brimless hats, thongs, and snowshoes that subsists on poutine and when I told the uproarious tale of poutine I was treated to an anecdote about a man throwing up french fries and red wine. Which a dog then ate. I feel that speaks volumes for both non-horse people and poutine. Cheerio.

[This message has been edited by slugger (edited 11-30-2000).]

Gotta say, I love it here. I'm a college student, which implies two things: an ethernet connection and the ever-present need to procrastinate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I find the "in-jokes" very amusing; I don't post enough to be involved in the various goings-on (or maybe I'm just too sane!) but I've hung around long enough to enjoy them.

Besides, I think of this bb as sort of a "cyber tack-room." Conversations between people whose only original bond is horses, but who become friends over time and branch out. When I'm at my barn, I talk to people there about horses, but we also goof around. Same thing here. --Jess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAGold:
    Gotta say, I love it here. I'm a college student, which implies two things: an ethernet connection and the ever-present need to procrastinate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I find the "in-jokes" very amusing; I don't post enough to be involved in the various goings-on (or maybe I'm just too sane!) but I've hung around long enough to enjoy them.

Besides, I think of this bb as sort of a "cyber tack-room." Conversations between people whose only original bond is horses, but who become friends over time and branch out. When I'm at my barn, I talk to people there about horses, but we also goof around. Same thing here. --Jess
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well said. Thank you, Jess.

New York, NY (a.k.a. The City and Center of the Universe), Canada (T.O.) and England (Kent Countrysi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slugger:
    I love the threads here. I find wisdom, knowledge, compassion, and humor. I love the people here for possessing all of these qualities and wanting to share them. And after seeing the photos Colin posted, I loooove Sea Urchin best! Now for pity's sake will someone please tell me if he's single?!

In addition, I think we should all send a dollar to the Chronicle, care of Melinda, to purchase a new server with. When I returned from work today, I could not access these boards (yet again) and was forced to go out and socialize with non-horse people for my downtime. They have no appreciation for a culture of people donning brimless hats, thongs, and snowshoes that subsists on poutine and when I told the uproarious tale of poutine I was treated to an anecdote about a man throwing up french fries and red wine. Which a dog then ate. I feel that speaks volumes for both non-horse people and poutine. Cheerio.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the best end of the evening laugh I've ever had. Either that bespeaks my poor social life (I'm posting at midnight NY time on a Thursday night) or we share the same sick sense of humour.

I agree, can we start a thread tomorrow in an effort to discover the truth about the adorable Sea Urchin's status?

I too was blocked off the Boards and I had this horrible sinking loneliness...panic would also be a good word. What on earth did I do before this? I guess I finished my work and left the office before midnight and searched the local bars in a desperate attempt to find my own SU. How pathetic.

Cheers to you too Slugger.

[This message has been edited by MAZ (edited 11-30-2000).]

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

I'm sorry but I do not want someone who cannot spell the very simple word, stirrup, to dictate what is and isn't appropriate for a BB.

Many have already touched on this but I would stress that tolerance, in life and on this BB, is a valuable character trait. As much as we may be derided for our silliness, there are many who find the sanctimony and implicit judgements that many others express on their threads to be equally annoying without blaming the amorphous entity that is the "BB".

Life, and by extension this BB, would be boring without an injection of humour, levity, and that occasional and surprising recognition that others, too, share our vision of the world - however odd it may seem to others. The 'cliquishness' that others perceive is the recognition of fellow, albeit virtual, soulmates; the 'in jokes' that are denounced, constitute our (according to many) measly attempt to inject some levity into often boring proceedings.

Stop passing judgements, let's all get over ourselves, exercise some compassion and grace, and please do use the spell check.

AH! There we have it and now I understand, you poor souls are seeking friendship and personal relationships while us old dinosaurs
    have already learned that is not the secret of happiness.

I think it is very sad that your social experiences are so limited to cyberspace. I don't think that even the science fiction geeks of old imagined that such would be possible.

Children you are missing the gift of life, person to person relationships in real time and real space are much more satisfactory. It is not just for purposes of procreation it is food for the soul.

A real life doesn't mean giving up what you love, it means sharing what you love with another person, or persons like in children. How lonely you must be, and what a waste of your youth, beauty and charm.

Take care lest you are like birds preening in the sun and you are alone. But, explain to me please why your downtime as described is so void that this little box of anonymity can take the place of people. Don't you youngsters have a place of your own where you can learn to be grown-ups and test your skills?

You are making me very depressed as if our generation has somehow let you all down.