The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New York, NY (a.k.a. The City and Center of the Universe), Canada (T.O.) and England (Kent Countrysi

Heidi...I stand in awe of your command of the English language and sense of humour. As I can not top your succinct message, I have but one word to utter:

D I T T O my SOHAM kindred spirit.

And for those folks concerned about cliquishness, SOHAM is the internet expression, newly coined by yours truly that means Sense of Humour a Must!

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Snowbird, now you're being unnecessarily cruel. The issues/posts/threads do not boil down to me (i.e. you) versus all those other 'sad sacks' (i.e. everyone else) who've yet to stumble onto what LIFE is really about.

You, as much as I respect and admire you, are not the standard. Please do allow others to express themselves without such implicit, but oh so clear, condemnations.

[This message has been edited by heidi (edited 12-01-2000).]

I really like the acronym SOHAM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    As far as the cliques and the in crowd and private jokes go, I really don't think they are as bad as some people make it out to be.
    I personally find the light hearted posts very funny. I don't usually post to them because my sense of humor doesn't seem funny when I have typed out what I want to say.
    I will probably get flamed for saying this but oh well here it is: The ones that don't like the "cliques" are probably not comfortable enough with themselves to let other people have fun with out having to be the center of attention. I am not saying this about one or two people in particular just an observation of people in general.
    In a nut shell if you don't like a thread don't read it. That way you won't be offended and those that like that type of thread can still enjoy it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Sorry to have rambled so much.

New York, NY (a.k.a. The City and Center of the Universe), Canada (T.O.) and England (Kent Countrysi

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snowbird:
    AH! There we have it and now I understand, you poor souls are seeking friendship and personal relationships while us old dinosaurs
    have already learned that is not the secret of happiness........

Actually I think warmth and personally friendships do provide true happiness.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snowbird:
    ......Take care lest you are like birds preening in the sun and you are alone. But, explain to me please why your downtime as described is so void that this little box of anonymity can take the place of people. Don't you youngsters have a place of your own where you can learn to be grown-ups and test your skills?

In this case, "Heidi" is a grown-up and we actually "REUNITED" through posts on this board and I found a lifetime friend of kindred spirit which is a rare and valuable gift. How do I know she is a "kindred" because we share the same sick sense of humour and post in the "wasteland useless posting area" as named by me SOHAM!!

Rather than resort to ugly words to flame you for her this message, I shall endeavor to change your mind by showing you one example that counters your argument. How wonderful that a "box of anonymity" has reforged a friendship that might not have been.

Both Heidi and I post with email addresses open to the public which also removes the "anonymity factor." In the last month, I have met many wonderful new friends through this addictive habit of posting, friends with whom I speak with on the phone and plan to see / meet / visit one day. It has but jump started a social life that by own admission was sorely lacking primarily because of the time constraints of these delightful four legged creatures.

So please read my post with an open mind and perhaps rethink your position. An open mind can stretch to learning new things and be receptive to new ideas. Technology has provided a whole new set of enhancements to our lives and it should not be feared but perhaps embraced and understood.

As Erin would say, "Rant Mode Off".

Once again, my tone is not flaming just debating and if truth be told, a little protectionism towards my pal Heidi and others who enjoy the SOHAM posts.

Note the use of the word SOHAM twice in one post, I do so hope it catches on. tee hee.

[This message has been edited by MAZ (edited 12-01-2000).]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

You will probably flame me for this, but I am jumping in to Snowbird's defense. I don't believe in the least she was being cruel. Just trying to explain that, as humans, interaction with other humans, good or bad is essential for life. You can miss so much, even if the life experiences are not what we might have wanted, by not socializing with others.
    Look at horses, when we don't allow their natural herd instinct or pecking order to proliferate they become depressed. Have seen this happen way too much. And I bet you all have too. All mammals, need to interact with their herd group. If we allow these mechanical devices to become our worlds, it will result in a very sad state. There still is beauty and fabulous places to see out there.......And people to meet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RagsRules:
    PS: ETBW, please email me and tell me what you meant by that post. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried to, Ryan, your email doesn't work.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slugger:
    I imagine this is what happens when Control Group B finds out the "Chewable Prozac" they've been receiving in their blind study is really Flintstones vitamins.

Thongs and chain nosebands are this seasons cockroaches and dustbunnies. Ryan, if you want to discuss horses make horse posts.

If you don't want to participate in something, don't.

A bulletin board is much like a coffee house or bar. Many people come in and make friends, have conversations, relax, and go on their way. This is a great board for people like us because all the participants are horsepeople.

I'd like to point out that this is the down time of year for horseshows. Indoors is over and the winter circuits have not yet begun. Folks, there isn't a whole lot going on to talk about.

We all have a fondness for a particular type of thread. Some like serious, some like funny. Some like both, and everyone's sense of enough is enough is different. Tolerance is the key to every door.

Personally, each time I see a thread about *@%&$!#^ helmets, I feel ill. Helmet harness threads make me reach for Tums. So I don't read them. Other people feel that way about underwear I'm sure. For all the shopping we all do for show clothes, horse clothes, clothes clothes, shoes, helmet harnesses, tack, horses, etc., we can shop around just a little for threads to read.

I love the threads here. I find wisdom, knowledge, compassion, and humor. I love the people here for possessing all of these qualities and wanting to share them. And after seeing the photos Colin posted, I loooove Sea Urchin best! Now for pity's sake will someone please tell me if he's single?!

Before some of you get bent about the Sea Urchin crack, I'd like to point out that it ties into Kelsy's social life thread since because all I do is ride and work to pay for riding, I have no life. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

In addition, I think we should all send a dollar to the Chronicle, care of Melinda, to purchase a new server with. When I returned from work today, I could not access these boards (yet again) and was forced to go out and socialize with non-horse people for my downtime. They have no appreciation for a culture of people donning brimless hats, thongs, and snowshoes that subsists on poutine and when I told the uproarious tale of poutine I was treated to an anecdote about a man throwing up french fries and red wine. Which a dog then ate. I feel that speaks volumes for both non-horse people and poutine. Cheerio.

[This message has been edited by slugger (edited 11-30-2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I got the Walt Whitman award? Geez! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
    You will probably flame me for this, but I am jumping in to Snowbird's defense. I don't believe in the least she was being cruel. Just trying to explain that, as humans, interaction with other humans, good or bad is essential for life. You can miss so much, even if the life experiences are not what we might have wanted, by not socializing with others.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For pete's sake, we are not fifteen year boys frittering away their lives in a dim basement rec room, lit only by the glow of a computer screen.

Do not assume that all those who post lack for human interaction and companionship; do not assume a self appointed moral superiority because we share a similar sense of humour - trust me it is NOT an indication of empty shells of lives.

People do not post on this board to the exclusion of everything else in their lives. They lead active careers, juggling horses, children, mortgages, volunteer work, friends and families. That this board, and, yes, the 'silly' threads should lead to friendships is testimony to the sense of community which, I believe, is the whole point of the exercise.

And as someone who has so very many posts to her credit, I believe Snowbird may have failed to live up to her very own vaunted standard.

P.S. wtywmn4, this isn't a flame [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] More a rant of frustration that we've now degraded to drawing proverbial lines in the sand. To quote my toddler, 'sheesh'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:
    For pete's sake, we are not fifteen year boys frittering away their lives in a dim basement rec room, lit only by the glow of a computer screen.

Do not assume that all those who post lack for human interaction and companionship; do not assume a self appointed moral superiority because we share a similar sense of humour - trust me it is NOT an indication of empty shells of lives.

People do not post on this board to the exclusion of everything else in their lives. They lead active careers, juggling horses, children, mortgages, volunteer work, friends and families. That this board, and, yes, the 'silly' threads should lead to friendships is testimony to the sense of community which, I believe, is the whole point of the exercise.

And as someone who has so very many posts to her credit, I believe Snowbird may have failed to live up to her very own vaunted standard.

P.S. wtywmn4, this isn't a flame [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] More a rant of frustration that we've now degraded to drawing proverbial lines in the sand. To quote my toddler, 'sheesh'.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said Heidi.

I was being a touch facetious in trying to convey the idea that it is the participants who comprise a cyberspace bulletin boards' collective identity and if one thinks its going "downhill" one should do something productive to change what one doesn't care for about the current tone. Like start threads one does like.

Self righteous indignation and insults aimed at other participant's intellect are certainly not going to make this board a place where people are going to want to come and share their questions and comments.

Walt Whitman lives in my Ouija Board.

[This message has been edited by slugger (edited 12-01-2000).]

Here here, Heidi!!!!

My life is FULLER because of the friendships I've made IN PERSON and through cyberspace because of this BB.

Maybe someday I'll even make it to Canada to meet some of ya'll! I've visited there several times while in college at St. Lawrence many moons ago. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hey - off a little here, but I can't get the spellcheck feature to work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] And, in Ryan's defense, one can't edit the title of a thread after it's been posted - at least that was the case in the past. . .Hey Ryan, I tried to email you too!

[This message has been edited by Duffy (edited 12-01-2000).]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Before this degenerated into bickering, there seemed to be a pretty common theme here: tolerance.

It's a fact of life that we're not all going to enjoy the same kind of threads. As much as some people enjoy the silly topics and inside jokes, it's obvious that there are also many who do not.

What I really would like to see is a balance -- and respect for other members of the BB.

Please, feel free to indulge in silly threads (in moderation)... but make them the kind that anyone can join in on. Please DON'T use this forum as a way to kid around with a small group of friends. There are other ways to do that. And let the serious threads stay serious -- those aren't the place for inside jokes.

I don't think there are any "rules" that I can lay down to help the situation. You guys make the forum what it is, and all we can really do is keep others' wishes in mind and try to make it a fun, informative place for everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slugger:
    In addition, I think we should all send a dollar to the Chronicle, care of Melinda, to purchase a new server with. [This message has been edited by slugger (edited 11-30-2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, now there's an idea! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Melinda is working on the new server thing. *sigh* And I thought we had fixed the problem when I installed the new version of the software a few weeks ago. You guys just spend way too much time here, that's the problem! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I don't know about "rules", but it seems simple enough to me:

(1) If you want to have serious discussions, go ahead and start them. It seems rare that a discussion that starts out "serious" deteriorates into something less.

(2) Same thing for fun topics.

(3) Most importantly, though: use the subject heading to describe what's inside! That way, people can pick and choose what to read, and then everyone's happy.

Personally, I lurk most of the time, reading only those threads that interest me. Seems that for the most part there's plenty of room for both sorts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by HSM (edited 12-01-2000).]

Dons black and white stripped shirt and referee's whistle...tweet!

I consider myself to be a pretty tolerant person - more tolerant than most, I would say. But I do detect a slight bit of hipocrisy - I'd like to point out that I mean this to be directed at no one person or persons in particular, but rather at a general malaise on the BB in general - in for example, one BBer slagging off another for spending so much time on a BB that they have no "real" life. Excuse me...did I miss something? How can you know how much time another person spends online if one does not, in fact, spend a comparable amount of time online oneself? How can one make judgements of a person's value based on sexual orientation, and then expect to not be called on the carpet for this bigotry? How can anyone, in any circumstance, hurl insults and expect that they will not be returned with the volume turned way up? Did we all fail kindergarten or something? Play nice!

As the saying goes, never judge a man (or woman) until you have walked a mile in their shoes. By this I mean don't judge a person's character on their BB personna, unless you know how they treat their friends and family in real life.

My real life job is to run a BB for children with disabilities. One of the things we have to constantly watch for is that words, written on a screen, often lose their subtlety or humour, and appear as bald-faced hostility, teasing, spite and so on, even though that was not the writer's intent at all. I always tell the kids not to jump to conclusions, to re-read before they hit SEND and to never say anything they wouldn't want to be sent right back at them. I think, if 10-year-old kids with serious head injuries and major learning disabilities can learn these things, we, as a group, can do so as well.

End of sermon. Call in the Canadian Peacekeepers! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And remember what your momma said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

If you don't like a post or thread, don't read it. If you don't like a person, don't respond to their posts.

Self righteous indignation and insults aimed at other participant's intellect are certainly not going to make this board a place where people are going to want to come and share their questions and comments.

Thank you Slugger, I couldn't agree more. Snowbird, I'm sorry you feel you have to share the bb with such a group of unworthy people. Do try to put up with us.

I think, perhaps, Rags has noticed that there are fewer serious topics relatively than there have been in the past. From our wonderful discussions of eating disorders, to alcoholism, to drugs, to abuse of horses and humans, we have ranted, raved, discussed, learned, and grown.

Now, our board is considerably larger,and those of us ho have participated in the more serious posts are taking breaks for much needed levity. That doesn't mean we won't be back, believe me!

For those new to the boards, you can click the word "Search" found at the top right corner of your BB window to search for any subject (or poster) you wish.

One of the best topics discussed was sexuality and tolerance!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Well said Heidi and Duffy. Thank you for your concise comments which so eloquently expressed something I wanted to say but kept being eluded as to how. And thanks to MargretF and MAZ!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HSM:
    I don't know about "rules", but it seems simple enough to me:

(1) If you want to have serious discussions, go ahead and start them. It seems rare that a discussion that starts out "serious" deteriorates into something less.

(2) Same thing for fun topics.

(3) Most importantly, though: use the subject heading to describe what's inside! That way, people can pick and choose what to read, and then everyone's happy.

Personally, I lurk most of the time, reading only those threads that interest me. Seems that for the most part there's plenty of room for both sorts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by HSM (edited 12-01-2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh HSM!!!! (she says in a sing-song voice)... you forgot Rule #4, the most important rule... USE PARAGRAPHS!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This public service announcement is bought to you by DMK on behalf of Inverness.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Hey Erin: why don't you start a new forum for "silly" posts, or the "gossip" column? (Just kidding!)