The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Dear Fellow BBers,
    I think this BB is going downhill with the rest of them.

Dear Fellow BBers,
    I think this BB is going downhill with the rest of them.

Yes and no. I think that Erin does a very good job keeping things under control while still letting the posters be themselves. I love this board, and would hate to see anything change. That said, if I feel like the topic is frivolous or not needed, I just ignore it. I don't think that any one who posts under those topics about how much they hate them is helping. Everytime some one does that, it just bumps it back to the top.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

Oh please, no! Don't say it's going downhill.
    I just got here and that is such a sad thing to say about something that I learn so much from and enjoy.
    If I find a topic that I am not interested in, I just don't read it (unless I am bored, cause then I read all the posts! hehe)
    Cheer up and post about things YOU are interested in. That way you will always find something interesting and 'on topic' to read.

Just because you and Moesha are having a "tiff"...don't take it out on the rest of us! You were playing just as hard as everyone else until the great Moesha busted you out on it.

Give him the victory on that one...and proceed on....onward, RagsRules!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by langshaw:
    Yes and no. I think that Erin does a very good job keeping things under control while still letting the posters be themselves. I love this board, and would hate to see anything change. That said, if I feel like the topic is frivolous or not needed, I just ignore it. I don't think that any one who posts under those topics about how much they hate them is helping. Everytime some one does that, it just bumps it back to the top. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. This board is good b/c we ca talk about controversial things but still have a good time. If you don't want to read stuff - don't. If you do, great. I think the moderators do a pretty good job of weeding out the truly objectionable stuff though. Yeah, maybe some of what is said here is not exactly 100% PG but I'd SO much rather have that then have a Junior forum or something b/c I never like those - if you think this is trivial most jr forums don't discuss alot of the serious issues we get here - note I AM NOT dissing on these forums just saying that it is hard to find GOOD SERIOUS discussion and lively humor in one place....this ones looks pretty darn good...

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RagsRules:
    Dear Fellow BBers,
    I think this BB is going downhill with the rest of them. I like to post and read about horses, no jock straps and thongs. There is other stuff, so this isn't bashing Moesha or Jair or Anyplace. It is saying all together. Agree, disagree?

Ryan
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't feel bashed at all, nor do I disagree. Didn't you see my thread entitled COTH BBer's Pledge? Apparently not.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I think that this board is good for horse people to discuss horse related issues. On the other hand, it wouldnt hurt horse people to talk about other things once in a while. A good sense of humor and a good, funny topic can really make someones day. I suppose many people come to this board to learn about horses and keep up with new ideas and stuff like that. However, probably a lot of people really appreciate these conversations about funny things. Sorry I am babbling.

I agree, this is supposed to be about horses.

Instead we have the Saga of Moesha and people posting like a maniac to get over 1000 posts. It stinks.

Please allow me to add my $0.02 for a moment. I understand what you are getting at but at the same time, as has been mentioned, you need not look at a thread if you don't wish to.

I, for one, have had a great time lately with some of the posts. Heidi has literally had me laughing out loud hysterically. Silly, yes. Needed, very much so. The BB is a wonderful tool. We are permitted to be silly, knowledgeable, sappy, proud and do all of this without the fear of reprisal.

We are all so busy in these times and yet we take time out to "chat" with our friends here. Personally, I love it. I have had some wonderful pieces of advice. Had it not been for Jane Irvine at one point, I wouldn't have known my horse's hock was in need of immediate attention. For that alone, I am really grateful. My Vet had not pinpointed the problem but she had.

I also hasten to add, when I opened the thread on pantylines, I was serious! And I still am. Although, quite frankly, if you attach suspenders to your breeches and really crank them up, your butt looks so attractive, who gives a poop. But that's an entire different subject isn't it?

In summation, have some patience with us. This keeps us off the bottle and out of jail!
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

To each, his own--of course. But I, too, have been disappointed by the sheer number of silly threads. Oh, well. Nothing ever lasts forever.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

So sorry, that's Jane ERVIN.
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I have to agree, if you don't like a thread, don't read it. I personally like some of the silly ones best of all. I've lurked for a lot longer than I've been posting here. I really came out of the woodwork on some of the recent jokey threads. Now I know people, I feel comfortable discussing more serious topics.

The only thing I would suggest (to help people avoid threads they do not want to read) is for people to be more explicit with their subject lines. Things like "help with..." and "do you guys ever..." and "the best..." (all actual titles of real threads on this BB) that give absolutely no indication of the actual question being asked - those are the ones that waste people's time, not the ones with obviously jocular subjects lines...they can be skipped over easily.

To me there is nothing more frustrating than not knowing what a thread is about from the subject line! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Actually, nothing is more frustrating than visible panty line, but apparently that's a taboo subject today. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by PD (edited 11-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RagsRules:
    so this isn't bashing Moesha or Jair or Anyplace. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've already done that quite well, haven't you?

I seriously think you owe myself, Moesha, Jeb and Sea Urchin an apology. In case you didn't realize it, SU is married with children and while I can't vouch for the others - you sure made some nasty insinuations about them. A point that I find in total irony with your supposed "the BB is going downhill" post when in fact YOU are one of the ones that is bringing it down, not only by your previous comments, but by the fact that you even brought this topic up.

Erin has talked to us about limiting silly threads, and we will try our hardest to comply, since we all like it here very much and appreciate her tolerance and levity in the matter. It it not for some little kid like you to decide.

In future if you don't like a thread, don't read it Ryan. That way you won't have to complain about it too.
    You Strike Me Still

Jair, are you CRAZY????

Sea Urchin is NOT - and I repeat - NOT married!

Yes, he has children...and thank god they are more well behaved than the dog! But the Sea Urchin is SINGLE!!! He's even applying to become the mascot for our NAWA! Look!

See updated queue: http://www.jacksonville.net/~patnjb/mascots.html

No disrespect intended, Rags, but I happen to notice that we are seeing a lot more of you lately.

You have received considerate answers to questions you have posted. Frequent reminders to be careful on the internet as you are a child (Really, I am a mom and I was VERY concerned that you would post a request to "guys" for clothing)

It is a tribute to the general population of this board and site that we realize the horse world exists due to almost all of us having been junior riders or horse crazy kids ourselves and it is basically a board that looks out for it's younger set.

There have been many posts that I had no interest in so I didn't bother reading the responses. A majority of people here share the same attitude. I know that it is frustrating to open a thread that has a misleading title. Do like I do on the TV, change the channel, or even better, go clean your room. Do something better with your time than get worked up over something YOU have control over which is what YOU CHOOSE to read.

Now, what is the situation with the new horse hunt? See, we ARE interested! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Colin, do you mind emailing me his number? I think he is hot!!!! Like...on fire hot!!!

Erin.....you have stolen my last and final alter ego!!!! Yipes!!!!

The Shame! And you are a moderator! Grrrrr!!!!

I'm going to ALL LENGTHS NOW!!!! Not only am I bringing my FATHER and DOGS into the game here, but I am declaring WAR!

What are you talking about? Big Hoof just posted, didn't she? Seems to be in perfect working order... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think I give up on alter egos. I'm no match for Hotmail and Yahoo. Maybe Melinda can devise a new plan for that one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

New York, NY (a.k.a. The City and Center of the Universe), Canada (T.O.) and England (Kent Countrysi

I shall reiterate the suggestion that I made under Erin's thread on humour. I think all threads that involve HUMOUR (note spelling = Canadian in support of the "under attack" Jair!!!) and DARE to go where few DON'T want to follow should correctly identify themselves with a clear and illuminating title and the following acronym:

SOHAM: Sense of Humour A Must

Those not interested in "HAMing" it up, need not click here.

Never let it be said that I came to criticize without providing a solution.