The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Well, I have all of YOU to thank for my horse's expensive taste! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So considering the deluge of rain we received up here over the weekend, I took the time to make my excursion out to the fabulous new tack store Bumpkin and Farfel kept telling me about.

Boy where they right!

My goal was to find a jacket and some breeches, so I purposefully donned my favourite blue show shirt and headed out. Despite trying to keep my journey a secret, Alice seemed to know what was happening from a far.

There I was trying on jackets, having selected a nice dark green one, when suddenly I heard this cultured, feminine Isabella Rosellina type voice in my ear saying "no, no, not that one" says Alice. So I try another one, this time a nice blue herringbone Grand Prix jacket, quite nice really (hmmmmm goes Alice), so then the sales lady hands me this very nice dark navy blue one and ta-da! It fits like a dream ("Ahhhhhh that is the one" breathes Alice) and sure enough, I look at the tag and it's a Pytchely!!! Lovely lovely jacket. Dark blue, fitted, looks great with my shirt and a spare tie I had brought... Sold!

Next were the breeches - modeled the greenish beige TS's (the other ladies in the store seemed to be enjoying helping me with this part [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) and they were very comfy, also found a beige pair of Pikeurs which I liked even better. So a pair of each (no sound from Alice)

I wandered around a bit and checked out the boots, which is something else I need. Saw a lovely pair of Effinghams ("Very nice" according to Alice). But then I made the mistake of picking up a pair of Dehner field boots, "Ahhhhhhhhhh" goes Jair, "OOOOOOOOOOoooohhhh!!!" breathes Alice. "ARRRGHHHHHGGGG" says Jair as he sees the price tag.!!! Down goes the beautiful field boots as Alice twists her nose into a moue of disappointment over his shoulder.

All's quiet as I start to settle the bill with the saleslady, trying to remember which credit card I didn't use to expense my business trip last week, when all of a sudden Alice gives an undignified squeak of excitement in my ear and disappears. For behind me He Who Bought Alice has entered the store!

After perusing the local Golf Pro shops my s/o returned to pick me up. While I finish with the saleslady, he wanders around the store idly looking at things, when suddenly from the bridle section, he speaks up "Alice doesn't have a show bridle yet, does she?" uhmm no I say, strongly suspecting he is suddenly hearing Alice's sultry tones in his ear. She's a sly one that girl. But before even Alice could say another word, the saleslady deaks out from behind the counter and glides up to He Who Bought Alice's shoulder, knowing a good target when she sees one, and begins firing questions at him about Alice, in the most skillful of ways so as to ensure he realizes just what a special and deserving girl she is! As the lady brings down some bridles for our inspection, I can hear Alice starting to breath more heavily, particularly when the lovely Edgewood ones come off their hooks, but then her squeaks reach almost obscene proportions as the most glorious of Hadfields bridles is shown to us, with the magic words directed at my partner of the likes that "a special mare like Alice deserves only the best" "yes yes yes!" shrieks Alice, followed by "Buy Buy Buy!" well, ok, maybe that was me, but good lord!! Was it ever a beautiful bridle! DMK and Duffy weren't kidding when they said they were superb! It's a lovely rich havanna colour in the raised, padded fancy stitched variety.

Before He Who Bought Alice (HWBA) can even blink a matching pair of reins is added, followed quickly by "Oh, did you say she was doing hunters?" from the saleslady - "she'll need a martingale then". No actually, I say, I don't think so ("Yes I do", says Alice) "Yes she does" says HWBA (who probably doesn't even know what one is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] but such is the stength of Alice's persuasion) Plunk goes the matching martingale as it goes onto the counter with the rest. Alice is positively squealing in excitement by now, as her benefactor pulls out his plastic with the saleslady practically ripping it out of his hand lest he change his mind. Jair meanwhile shuffles off to another part of the store trying really hard not to hear what the damage is as its rung up on the cash register. Alice however is ecstatic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So there you have it!

Jair will now be attending the show grounds in his navy blue Pytchely jacket, medium blue dress shirt with just-for-Becca Ralph Lauren tie, a pair of greenish beige TS's and a Hadfields bridle wearing horse!! Duffy will be proud! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

High Ho hunters away!!!

[This message was edited by Jair on Mar. 19, 2001 at 03:36 PM.]
    You Strike Me Still

Well, I have all of YOU to thank for my horse's expensive taste! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So considering the deluge of rain we received up here over the weekend, I took the time to make my excursion out to the fabulous new tack store Bumpkin and Farfel kept telling me about.

Boy where they right!

My goal was to find a jacket and some breeches, so I purposefully donned my favourite blue show shirt and headed out. Despite trying to keep my journey a secret, Alice seemed to know what was happening from a far.

There I was trying on jackets, having selected a nice dark green one, when suddenly I heard this cultured, feminine Isabella Rosellina type voice in my ear saying "no, no, not that one" says Alice. So I try another one, this time a nice blue herringbone Grand Prix jacket, quite nice really (hmmmmm goes Alice), so then the sales lady hands me this very nice dark navy blue one and ta-da! It fits like a dream ("Ahhhhhh that is the one" breathes Alice) and sure enough, I look at the tag and it's a Pytchely!!! Lovely lovely jacket. Dark blue, fitted, looks great with my shirt and a spare tie I had brought... Sold!

Next were the breeches - modeled the greenish beige TS's (the other ladies in the store seemed to be enjoying helping me with this part [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) and they were very comfy, also found a beige pair of Pikeurs which I liked even better. So a pair of each (no sound from Alice)

I wandered around a bit and checked out the boots, which is something else I need. Saw a lovely pair of Effinghams ("Very nice" according to Alice). But then I made the mistake of picking up a pair of Dehner field boots, "Ahhhhhhhhhh" goes Jair, "OOOOOOOOOOoooohhhh!!!" breathes Alice. "ARRRGHHHHHGGGG" says Jair as he sees the price tag.!!! Down goes the beautiful field boots as Alice twists her nose into a moue of disappointment over his shoulder.

All's quiet as I start to settle the bill with the saleslady, trying to remember which credit card I didn't use to expense my business trip last week, when all of a sudden Alice gives an undignified squeak of excitement in my ear and disappears. For behind me He Who Bought Alice has entered the store!

After perusing the local Golf Pro shops my s/o returned to pick me up. While I finish with the saleslady, he wanders around the store idly looking at things, when suddenly from the bridle section, he speaks up "Alice doesn't have a show bridle yet, does she?" uhmm no I say, strongly suspecting he is suddenly hearing Alice's sultry tones in his ear. She's a sly one that girl. But before even Alice could say another word, the saleslady deaks out from behind the counter and glides up to He Who Bought Alice's shoulder, knowing a good target when she sees one, and begins firing questions at him about Alice, in the most skillful of ways so as to ensure he realizes just what a special and deserving girl she is! As the lady brings down some bridles for our inspection, I can hear Alice starting to breath more heavily, particularly when the lovely Edgewood ones come off their hooks, but then her squeaks reach almost obscene proportions as the most glorious of Hadfields bridles is shown to us, with the magic words directed at my partner of the likes that "a special mare like Alice deserves only the best" "yes yes yes!" shrieks Alice, followed by "Buy Buy Buy!" well, ok, maybe that was me, but good lord!! Was it ever a beautiful bridle! DMK and Duffy weren't kidding when they said they were superb! It's a lovely rich havanna colour in the raised, padded fancy stitched variety.

Before He Who Bought Alice (HWBA) can even blink a matching pair of reins is added, followed quickly by "Oh, did you say she was doing hunters?" from the saleslady - "she'll need a martingale then". No actually, I say, I don't think so ("Yes I do", says Alice) "Yes she does" says HWBA (who probably doesn't even know what one is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] but such is the stength of Alice's persuasion) Plunk goes the matching martingale as it goes onto the counter with the rest. Alice is positively squealing in excitement by now, as her benefactor pulls out his plastic with the saleslady practically ripping it out of his hand lest he change his mind. Jair meanwhile shuffles off to another part of the store trying really hard not to hear what the damage is as its rung up on the cash register. Alice however is ecstatic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So there you have it!

Jair will now be attending the show grounds in his navy blue Pytchely jacket, medium blue dress shirt with just-for-Becca Ralph Lauren tie, a pair of greenish beige TS's and a Hadfields bridle wearing horse!! Duffy will be proud! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

High Ho hunters away!!!

[This message was edited by Jair on Mar. 19, 2001 at 03:36 PM.]
    You Strike Me Still

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Would we EVER steer you wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

btw, Hadfields also makes a lovely matching RUNNING martingale for when you venture into the jumper ring... and surely you will need some of their lovely white rubber reins for such an occasion....

Verra funny, Jair! Guess you had a productive weekend!!!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

After my non-existant march holiday last week, Jair, you have started my week off right.

I am thinking I will have to refrain from taking Hannah tack shopping when the time comes. I will definately take my hubby, because my favourite line out of him in any store is "get whatever the h*** you want, but do it fast, I want outa here!". I just stroll around for a few minutes and wham, he's gone, and I get what I want.
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

Splat - binging is a necessary component of a healthy horse show lifestyle!

I was shocked that I made it out of winter with only a beval pad and a lovely new (brown) belt from Zest of the West... Of course last year I bought a scooter, ordered a new pair of chaps and 2 new custom shirts, and another lovely (black) belt from Zest, I suppose a little "pacing" was in order here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

OHHHH Jair I thought those Hadfields were quite lovely hanging there.
    Alas, all poor Elliot got from Maplesprings, was a large soft horsehair brush, haha. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    I am so glad you went, what a great way to spend a positively wicked rainy weekend.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

What about the Calibre saddles? What did Alice think of those? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Had you purchased the field boots!!!!!

Anecdotal: Dehner field boots are beautiful, but a barn buddy bought a brand new custom pair in 1998, and with minimal show wear had some significant popped stitches/breakdown and then had significant customer service issues getting them repaired. Food for thought. If you're going to buy new boots of that sort, consider all of the options.

RJ (who agrees that Alice does NOT *need* a standing martingale to do the hunters)
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Oh Robby, Alice has the soul of a hunter princess... she knows that it's not about the martingale, it's about The Look

I'll put my vote in for dehners though... excellent craftmanship, mine are holding up just fine and they were a few bucks less expensive than vogels...

Too true Robby! Its kind of funny really about the martingale! I couldn't seem to stop him or the saleslady from getting one! But I did make sure that it had the ring for the running martingale attachment (as DMK noted I will need it in the future!).

It is beautiful though! ;-)

Alas Bumpkin, I made a point about not looking at the saddles! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] too tempting!!

Thanks Splat!! Will post pics when I get some from our first show in May.

You are evil DMK!! Rubber reins, really [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I mean, if I move to the jumpers, don't you know I'll need a jumper bridle??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    You Strike Me Still

Oh my, you have taken me back to the happy time when I worked in a tack store and spent every penny I made on equipment ! And how we loved to see someone owned by an Alice come in ! Early 80's, closing time on a Saturday, and I was the only one there. At 5:59, in comes a very charming man, telling me that he is a visitor from far away and that his brother in law, Dr. X, sent him over because the shop has EVERYTHING. By 6:30 he had purchased two Lane Fox saddles, two show bridles, complete outfits for his wife (not there but he knew all the sizes) and himself, coolers, New Zealand rugs, show halters, leather leads, you name it. I thought the total was going to burn out the rickety cash register. And when I did the credit card check the company approved it.
    And me not on commission ! The next morning the owner called me with a funny tone in her voice.
    She said "Did you make a mistake in the amount when you rang up your last sale ?" "I don't think so....is there something wrong ?" "Well, not really, but Dr. X called and said he liked the saddles his visitor bought so much when he saw them that he wants one for himself, even though he has never ridden saddle seat before. I answered in the house, and then I went to the register, but it didn't seem possible that you sold all that stuff after closing time !"

And now I understand that it wasn't my excellent salesmanship that did it, just a couple of saddlebred voices in the the guy's ear !

Your story gave me tingles. Kudos to you HWBA!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are evil DMK!! Rubber reins, really I mean, if I move to the jumpers, don't you know I'll need a jumper bridle??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand Guilty as Charged [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But I suppose if you wanted to save some money, you could just purchase a lovely Hadfields raised figure eight noseband and transform it into a jumper bridle... I'm sure Alice, The High Priestess of Impeccable Taste would only toss you into one or two oxers for the insult....

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Oh sure Jair, blame it on poor Alice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] You know that down deep in your soul, it was you imitating her voice. Using your fabulous technic of ventriloquism to make HWBA buy that fabulous bridle and martingale. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Job well done, Jair! Tell me, did Alice get a breastplate with fuzzy fleece cover? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jair - thanks for the laugh!!! I'm afraid we all have mini-Alice's sitting on our shoulders waiting to go tack shopping!
    Love the fact that s/o is willing to shop and shows such good taste. My hubby I'm afraid means well, but I'd probably end up with a lovely western saddlepad for my GP jumper instead!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If Becca got to pick the tie...I get to pick a belt...Gucci or Coach all the way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You are one lucky guy! Thank goodness you have a horse with such a fab sense of style and someone willing to melt the plastic and burn the credit history reports for you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I had an inkling when you had not reported back on the results of the "Outfitting Jair" event.

Hopefully you purchased appropriate traveling attire for her so she will be comfortable on her trip east!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Jair - it sounds like you are a "Horse Fashion Psychic" - perhaps you could setup one of the Psychic Friends hotlines and find out what my boy really thinks of his new Hawaiin print schooling pad?

That's easy Baroni! I can hear your horse's thoughts from here! This is what he thinks re the Hawaiian pad:

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Great story Dru! oh what a shame you weren't on comission!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] That would have been nice - although you'd probably have spent it back on tack anyways eh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think you hit just a little too close to home there Wtywmn4 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Why no, slugger, hadn't thought about the fleecey breastplate thanks for the reminder!... and rest assured ETBW, your Alice will have some show clothes soon! I saw a lovely halter with really soft and furry fleeceys sewn on it for shipping! I'm sure Alice would love it! hmmmmm my birthday is coming up soon.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Jair on Mar. 19, 2001 at 06:49 PM.]
    You Strike Me Still

I am ROFLMFAO. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]