The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 82 of 315 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 6295

subk- I don't know what horse discipline you follow or breed you promote, and frankly my dear I don't give a d*mn.

For you to come on a thread that is concerned with preserving the Tennessee Walking Horse and protecting the breed from further abuse to DENY the importance of the TWH breed to the Franklin, TN area AND dismiss the entire breed as being "low rent" just shows how ignorant and out of touch you are with the history of Franklin, TN.

Today the City of Franklin is holding a Fourth of July Celebration at-- HARLINSDALE FARM PARK-- it's on the National Register of Historic places, too.

FYI-- Midnight Sun, one of the greatest sires in the TWH breed is buried right there on the Harlinsdale Farm. The Harlinsdale Farm has a FRANKLIN, TN address, and has had one since 1933. Harlinsdale Farm, in its time has produced many famous TWHs.

In fact, on the official City of Franklin website, the ONLY breed of horse mentioned anywhere that I could find is the TENNESSEE WALKING HORSE.

I have never lived in Franklin, but I first visited the area in the 1960s-- just to go to Harlinsdale Farm to see the famous TWHs there. Again, honey, just how long have you lived in Franklin?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Trying to kill the show for everyone who competes because you don't agree with padded horse aspect of it...great.
    Yep. High time The Celebration got enlightened along with the rest of the world. No reason there can't be a New, Improved, Pain-free Celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    subk- I don't know what horse discipline you follow or breed you promote, and frankly my dear I don't give a d*mn.

For you to come on a thread that is concerned with preserving the Tennessee Walking Horse and protecting the breed from further abuse to DENY the importance of the TWH breed to the Franklin, TN area AND dismiss the entire breed as being "low rent" just shows how ignorant and out of touch you are with the history of Franklin, TN.

Today the City of Franklin is holding a Fourth of July Celebration at-- HARLINSDALE FARM PARK-- it's on the National Register of Historic places, too.

FYI-- Midnight Sun, one of the greatest sires in the TWH breed is buried right there on the Harlinsdale Farm. The Harlinsdale Farm has a FRANKLIN, TN address, and has had one since 1933. Harlinsdale Farm, in its time has produced many famous TWHs.

In fact, on the official City of Franklin website, the ONLY breed of horse mentioned anywhere that I could find is the TENNESSEE WALKING HORSE.

I have never lived in Franklin, but I first visited the area in the 1960s-- just to go to Harlinsdale Farm to see the famous TWHs there. Again, honey, just how long have you lived in Franklin?
    What you are posting has no relevance to what the other posted stated. They said Franklin NOW...year 2012...PRESENT TIME...is NOT a major home to the TWH.

The fact that you have not been there since 1960 reduces your credibility compared to that of a poster who lives there NOW.

A lot does and can change in 50 years.

I phoned friends who reside just outside of Franklin and they show dogs. They said it is a hub for hunters, jumpers, dressage, there is a polo field somewhere around that area etc.

These are horses that reguarly sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars inspite of the economy.

The TWH is considered to be a modestly priced family mount. I know the BL have escalated their prices but the breed overall is not considered to be expensive.

Perhaps the poster was a tad harsh with low rent, but that is also the way the hunter/jumper crowd think of all of us...I live only a couple of hours from Spruce Meadows and the international horse community not only don't care about TWH's, Arabs, ASB's QH's, etc they don't even think about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    The fact that you have not been there since 1960 reduces your credibility compared to that of a poster who lives there NOW.
    DUH -- Your reading comprehension really does suck, Fairfax and I am tired of you jumping on almost every post I make.

I said I visited Franklin for the FIRST time in the 1960s-- FIRST TIME-- and certainly NOT the LAST time. In fact, I was there just last year, not that it is any of your business.

I have friends in and around Franklin, too-- people I have known for 50 years-- some, whose families have lived there before 1900 and still live there. They assure me that there are still plenty of TWH breeders and owners in and around Franklin.

The TWH is VERY popular as a family horse-- and there is nothing "low rent" about being being a good all around family horse.

I, for one, have never looked at the "worth" of a horse SOLELY in dollars and cents-- like apparently some people on this site and some of the people you know DO. And to tell you the truth-- I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for any of those hunter/ jumpers, polo ponies or race horses because I am NOT interested in those equine pursuits. I know about these horses and other breeds as well, because I am an EDUCATED horse person, but I am not interested in owning one.

I, have, however, found in many cases the people who think of horses only in terms of how EXPENSIVE they were to purchase and keep are among the most shallow people around.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Yep. High time The Celebration got enlightened along with the rest of the world. No reason there can't be a New, Improved, Pain-free Celebration.
    <LIKE>

Quote Originally Posted by walknsound View Post
    http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/horses-...-Timeline.aspx

This is just to express gratitude for the undercover work, not re-open a hate fest of the Humane Society of the United States.

I agree. Undercover, covert stuff and $10,000 rewards are the only way to uncover this stuff. The only way to stop it is to ban the stacks and chains. Need to get some limits on the shoe weights, too. My hope is that banning the bands that hold them on should be given consideration.

I've had a life-long love affair with Coca Cola just as Roy Exum stated. Even as a kid I'd get a nickel and go buy a cold one, as soft drinks weren't kept in our home fridge back then. But when I grew up, Coke has always been on hand.

But now it's time for the big corporations to clean up their act--by not supporting abuse. I'll drink tap water and wine (yes!) gladly as my "low-rent" mare (not a TWH) and I stand up for the Tennessee Walker.

BTW--I first saw Big Lick horses as a kid at the Washington International Horse Show--thought it was very weird.

Writing letters, posting on FB and web sites, posting here--done it--nothing's too much trouble for the chance to finally end the abuse of the TWH.

DUH -- Your reading comprehension really does suck, Fairfax and I am tired of you jumping on almost every post I make.

I said I visited Franklin for the FIRST time in the 1960s-- FIRST TIME-- and certainly NOT the LAST time. In fact, I was there just last year, not that it is any of your business.

I have friends in and around Franklin, too-- people I have known for 50 years-- some, whose families have lived there before 1900 and still live there. They assure me that there are still plenty of TWH breeders and owners in and around Franklin.

The TWH is VERY popular as a family horse-- and there is nothing "low rent" about being being a good all around family horse.

I, for one, have never looked at the "worth" of a horse SOLELY in dollars and cents-- like apparently some people on this site and some of the people you know DO. And to tell you the truth-- I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for any of those hunter/ jumpers, polo ponies or race horses because I am NOT interested in those equine pursuits. I know about these horses and other breeds as well, because I am an EDUCATED horse person, but I am not interested in owning one.

I, have, however, found in many cases the people who think of horses only in terms of how EXPENSIVE they were to purchase and keep are among the most shallow people around.
    Standing ovation!!!

Boycott Coca-Cola---

How about we all pledge not to drink ANY Coca-Cola products between August 22 and September 1 AND we call write and email Coke corporate to tell them so?
    I've been drinking Pepsi since the news came out much as it pains me as I've always, always been a Coke drinker. I'm getting used to it now and if Coca Cola doesn't pull their sponsorship it will be a permanent switch.

I don't condone soring.

Clean up the event.

Scaring sponsors away from equestrian events is not the way to go. Some find some practices used dressage and western disciplines to be offensive. There are those that don't like rodeos.

There is the danger that Corporate America will stay away from ALL equine events because of boycotts.

We don't drink Coke or Pepsi. We use a Soda Stream and the bottles are all reusable. That said COKE & PEPSI holdings are more then just drinking their soda products. I am not sure how big an impact the boycott will really have.

I think this boycott is just a feel good thing for a few, so they can say they did something.

Yes, there are fireworks tonight at Harlinsdale Park. Thank you for making my point. Harlinsdale, the historic TWH farm, hasn't had a horse on it in about a decade. The decade before that it was a breeding operation with fencing in sore need of repair and painting and a barn that even from the road looked run down. It's hey days are well in the past.

I have lived here for 45 years and have ridden horses here for most of that. What I object to so much on this thread is posters making grand statements about the area and its residents that are either patently false or just plain uninformed and stupid. This would include a poster who said Middle TN had no industry. :rolleye: If you want to influence the people here an accurate description of the area and the people would certainly be helpful. And it might be just a little bit smart if you stopped insulting the same people whose help you want.

Let me tell you a little about Franklin. If you visited it in 1960 the population of Williamson Co--of which Franklin is the county seat--was 25,000 people. It was considered a rural county with strong ties to agriculture and all kinds of animal husbandry. Today it is right about 190,000 people and the home of the international headquarters for many NYSE listed companies including Nissan. It is one of the wealthiest counties not only in the state but in the country. The average resident is well employed, informed and educated. If a Franklin resident sees a live horse it's not going to be a TWH. The vast majority of those 190k people don't know the first thing about horses other than that the Iroquois Steeplechase is THE traditional Rite of Spring. In the last 10 years if the TWH has appeared in the paper or on the TV news the picture has not been positive.

When you drive in and around Franklin if you aren't driving through some planned community development--or around the retail area that includes a mall with more than a million sq. ft of retail space--you are driving past beautiful horse farms with black four board fencing, lovely pastures, tidy barns and big houses. Those bucolic scenes don't include walking horses. On the rare occasion you see that distinctive black plywood walking horse shape nailed to a barn that barn needs painting along with the crappy fencing and unkempt pasture (since they don't turnout there doesn't seemed to be much concern about pasture quality.) While you might not like the description "low rent" you have to look at it within its surroundings--surroundings that many of you are obviously clueless about.

Yes, there are some Williamson County commissioners (and other officers) that try to play on their historic past. However, at least one commissioner--a horseman whom I've talked about the issue with multiple times in the last few years--that has been warning these pro TWH types that the county needs to create distance because the whole industry sooner or later is going to blow up, it's going to be ugly and they don't need to be waving that flag. But the important point is that it is about how they look at their history because today TWH has little to nothing to do with Williamson County much less the city of Franklin. Quite frankly the average residence who sees a walking horse on county or city material doesn't have a clue of its specific breed--it's just a picture of some random fancy horse in a county that has lots of fancy horses.

I will give you here that there are plenty of THW trail horses and family horses, but quite frankly that isn't what this thread is about! Nor are these horses making the type of economic impact in Franklin than say hunters are when Brownland Farm alone has 10 top rated shows a year that each bring in hundreds of horses and riders from across the country.

Someone else snidely asked what I've done for the issue. So for the record: I've had in depth face to face conversations in the last couple months with a Tn State Senator and a powerful State Representative in a leadership position from Middle Tn. I've had a brief conversation with another State Rep. I also had multiple long conversations face to face with the odds on favorite for a State Rep seat in Rutherford county and was able to mention the issue in passing to a Commissioner/advisor to Governor Haslam. I've been angling to get in front of a US House Rep but haven't gotten in there yet. So I stick my neck out, expend my personal political capital only to come here and read insulting things about my hometown and myself that aren't factually correct. That's really great.

Bell Canada Communications is boycotting the 100th year anniversary of the Greatest Show on Earth: The Calgary Exhibition and Stampede.

This is due to a letter writing campaign started in the U.S. sponsored by P.E.T.A. and, Bell capitulated.

They are against ALL use of horses and also the chuck wagon races, calf roping, bull dogging, bull riding, bareback and saddlebronc riding etc.

The stampede, after a terrible accident many years ago revamped the chuck wagon races..and year after year after year..they (H.S. and P.E.T.A.( demand more.

One comment was : Why don't you just look at pretty pictures of the horses in the wild. That...is all you need to know about horses.

This IS becoming a norm. Don't ever think for a moment that Coke will come back to the fold when the heat is down, the big lick gone and empty stands for the plantation classes.

More and more industries will distance themselves from the total breed. They don't know BL from Plantation and to be honest...they don't care. They just do not want negative publicity so they will pull from the TWH...and maybe other breeds along the way.

Bayou...you stated you had been very involved with the TWH and disassociated yourself due to the BL. I remember speaking with the publisher/editor of the Walking Way and she was bemoaning the fact that Plantation owners don't put their money where their mouth is. She was there as an alternative to the Voice and was putting out a nice pony sized (don't take offence...that is the name for the paper size) publication. High Gloss cover and she had upgraded from a newprint internal..to no avail.

The issue is serious...get rid of the BL. HOWEVER, you (meaning those who show or are enthusiasts for plantation) are going to be needed by the shows to do some serious sponsorship co-ordination.

Tearing down, while challenging...is easier than the long hall building. Rather than attack sponsors..why not ENCOURAGE them to alter their advertising.

I don't believe HSUS will actually give anyone the ten thousand dollars...they always find excuses...however it would be ironic if they did give it to someone who put it into show class sponsorship.

Not "supporting", just pouring drinks and taking $$$ and what else - possibly paying a concession fee to Celebration ?

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/7/5...in-Around.aspx

Horsin-Around.aspxRoy Exum: Coca-Cola Is Horsin’ Around
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 - by Roy Exum

Roy Exum There is a verse in the Bible’s book of Proverbs that tells us, “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” For about the last 125 years, or ever since Dr. John Pemberton poured the first glass of what was, at first, a drink of patent medicine at Jacobs' Pharmacy in Atlanta, a long line of great Southern gentlemen have been keen in their intent on making that belief a virtual cornerstone of the Coca-Cola Company.

Trouble is, the verse in Proverbs you just read is in the 22nd chapter. There is another “biggie,” though not as well known, that comes before – up in the 10th chapter – and while it says much of the same, it makes certain people nervous.

It reads, “The memory of the righteous will be a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot.”

I want you to think about “rot” as I explain to you that the Coca-Cola Company has just publicly announced it is not sponsoring nor endorsing the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration between Aug. 22 and Sept.1 this year. But there is this -- the fact that Coca-Cola still has anything at all to do with it has the great majority of those who work for the global company that now operates in over 200 countries so embarrassed and forlorn they hardly know what to do.

You see, just last week the Cola-Cola Bottling Works of Tullahoma, which is a small independent company that hails itself as a long-time supporter of the local community, jumped at the chance to become what is legally called “the beverage provider” of the National Celebration’s main arenas and, in my way of thinking, tore down in a single day much of the great respect it has taken years for Coke to build. Pepsi, which had sponsored the Celebration until scathing proof of sadistic depravity was aired on ABC’s “Nightline” news show in May, immediately and very rightfully bolted the very next day, severing any and all relationships with the Celebration and its leaders. Since then, an avalanche of horrors has beset the Shelbyville-based horse industry and it now appears there are more among the Celebration elite with past and present violations of the federal Horse Protection Act than there are without.

Yet, after almost a half-century of repeated scorn and 40 years that the federal Horse Protection Act has been skillfully dodged, it appears that a healthy 90 percent of the half-million owners of Tennessee Walking Horses have finally had enough of the criminal crowd and, with federal prosecutors and the Humane Society vowing to the American public that animal abuse must end, the industry’s annual show in Shelbyville is almost as popular with clean and honest horsemen as leprosy.

Horse abuse in Tennessee just became a felony. Stiffer federal laws have been promised and prosecutors – with the first guilty pleas since 1970 – are eager to bring such pressure to bear a criminal would rather join the Foreign Legion under an alias rather than now harm an animal, be it livestock or domestic. Now what is sick is the legal jargon. Today’s legal slicks claim that the Coca-Cola Bottling Works of Tullahoma is not sponsoring or endorsing the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration, either, but have simply agreed to supply beverages for events like high school commencements, church retreats, Chamber of Commerce meetings, and … you know, 10-day horse shows at the hottest time of the year.

In other words, it’s just a money deal. What we lovingly call “Big Coke” doesn’t have anything to do with the independently-owned Coca-Cola Bottling Works of Tullahoma except when some bookkeeper writes “For Deposit Only” on the back of the checks the Tullahoma owners mail in to headquarters. Please understand, nobody from Coca-Cola wants anything to do with those with guilty pleas that will be sentenced in Federal Court on Sept. 10, or the lawsuit by the Shelbyville crowd angrily filed against the U.S. Department of Agriculture, or the continuing violations of the federal Horse Protection Act by the top trainers in the game. Or goodness only knows whatever is next for “the Country Club Crowd” in Shelbyville. A just-released statement clearly illustrates that all the Coca-Cola crowd wants is the money. You see, it contains this flowery paragraph that reads, “The Coca-Cola Company cares for the welfare of animals and supports the proper treatment of animals. It has a strict animal rights policy in place for all events and attractions featuring animals. The Company's trademarks must not be used to promote an event or attraction that violates local, state or national laws or is contrary to the Company's policy and guidelines.”

Then on the exact same piece of paper – so help me this is true – there is another sentence that had to be written by some future Supreme Court justice: “The Coca-Cola Company’s trademarks will not be used to market or promote any events held at the arena.” Are you kidding me! What are they going to call it – soda pop?The whole thing would be ludicrous if it weren’t so blatantly shameful. During my life I’ve had the great pleasure and honor to know and befriend some of the giants of the Coca-Cola Company. Men like Summerfield Johnston, Jack Lupton, J. Frank Harrison, Crawford Johnson and Carl Navarre all knew exactly how – and when -- to take a stand like Abraham Lincoln unashamedly wrote about one time.

About 150 years ago President Lincoln stated, “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong." Call it what you will – pouring rights, beverage supply agreement, dancing with the devil – I could give a rip. When Pepsi withdrew from the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration, it was clearly the right thing to do and championed the ideas and values our country celebrated so fondly just yesterday.

Coca-Cola's latest statements show its crowd is apparently more into silver and gold.

royexum@aol.com

As usual, Roy Exum's columns "hit the spot."

Default "New" Harlinsdale Farm just 16 mines from Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Yes, there are fireworks tonight at Harlinsdale Park. Thank you for making my point. Harlinsdale, the historic TWH farm, hasn't had a horse on it in about a decade. The decade before that it was a breeding operation with fencing in sore need of repair and painting and a barn that even from the road looked run down. It's hey days are well in the past.
    "New" Harlinsdale Farm just 16 miles from Franklin (correction for headline b/c I can't edit it)
    I don't think its hey days are past at all. As Franklin encroached on the historic farm, the family sold it to the City of Franklin in 2005 for $8 million and moved the TWH breeding farm all of SIXTEEN miles away where the Harlins still breed Tennessee Walking Horses, now in College Grove, TN-- 16 miles from Franklin, which is hardly on the other side of the moon and not far from Franklin at all.

And since you seem so obsessed with MONEY and APPEARANCES-- that SALE PRICE was EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS. Hardly "chump change." Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harli...m/107112721854

http://www.t-g.com/story/1116339.html

Let's get back to working to end the Big Lick and the apparent abuse and corruption in that segment of the TWH world.

I am deeply saddened by the position Coca-Cola has taken. I, too, have had a life-long love affair with Coke. I grew up where Coke was synonymous with soda...everything was a 'coke.' The sideways tap dance they are now doing for the money they will gain is disgusting. My money's going to Pepsi from now on. For those of you who don't do soda, check the list of coke products, and make sure they get not a dime from you; and at least for the Celebration 10 days, make it a POINT to purchase Pepsi products. Let's make sure that Pepsi numbers are up and Coke is down for those days.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    -Edward Burke

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinAfterMidnight View Post
    I am deeply saddened by the position Coca-Cola has taken. I, too, have had a life-long love affair with Coke. I grew up where Coke was synonymous with soda...everything was a 'coke.' The sideways tap dance they are now doing for the money they will gain is disgusting. My money's going to Pepsi from now on. For those of you who don't do soda, check the list of coke products, and make sure they get not a dime from you; and at least for the Celebration 10 days, make it a POINT to purchase Pepsi products. Let's make sure that Pepsi numbers are up and Coke is down for those days.
    GREAT idea-- Buy Pepsi products during the same days we are boycotting Coke. Thumbs up to that.

As Franklin encroached on the historic farm, the family sold it to the City of Franklin in 2005 for $8 million and moved the TWH breeding farm all of SIXTEEN miles away where the Harlins still breed Tennessee Walking Horses, now in College Grove, TN-- 16 miles from Franklin, which is hardly on the other side of the moon and not far from Franklin at all.
    Are you even reading what you wrote? Harlinsdale has LEFT Franklin. The size and character of the town was no longer working for them so they have moved! Just like the rest of the industry. College Grove is a town on the far South Eastern edge of Williamson Co less than a mile or so from the county line. Interestingly not only is College Grove 16 miles away from Franklin it is also 16 miles CLOSER to Shelybville.

While I'm sure you would love for me to move on, let me explain why this particular discussion is so important. BL walking horses will end only when and if the communities that support it change. For a variety of reasons that change is happening, but you will miss this opportunity if you keep trying to pedal your information geared toward a demographic that doesn't exist in the size and manner it has in the past. If you fight this fight not realizing the demograpic changes of both your enemies and friends you will lose.

So again, please stop spreading misinformation about communities in Middle TN.

Communities do change. Thanks for filling us in on what is now the landscape in Franklin. And thank you for talking to people in power who can have a part in changing things.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Are you even reading what you wrote? Harlinsdale has LEFT Franklin. The size and character of the town was no longer working for them so they have moved! Just like the rest of the industry. College Grove is a town on the far South Eastern edge of Williamson Co less than a mile or so from the county line.

While I'm sure you would love for me to move on, let me explain why this particular discussion is so important. BL walking horses will end only when and if the communities that support it change. For a variety of reasons that change is happening, but you will miss this opportunity if you keep trying to pedal your information geared toward a demographic that doesn't exist in the size and manner it has in the past. If you fight this fight not realizing the demograpic changes of both your enemies and friends you will lose.

So again, please stop spreading misinformation about communities in Middle TN.
    Thanks for making the contacts you have claimed to have made. BUT

Quit trying to side track this thread. It doesn't MATTER that much if Harlinsdale is smack in the middle of Franklin or just 16 miles down the road.

The FACTS are that the Tennessee Walking Horse breed and supporting industry is much more involved and important to the whole area of Middle Tennessee --- including the Franklin area--than apparently YOU want to admit.

If YOU are more interested in trying to prove that the TWH is no longer important to Franklin and its environs than in helping contribute positively to the topic at hand on this thread, then please go start a thread of your own on a topic of your choice. And that goes for your other friends who keep trying to side track the discussion on this thread-- a thread about "The Tennessee Walking Horse Soring Issue."