The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 226 of 315 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 6295

I am sure it is very difficult to be involved at a show level where camps are so divded. I do have to admit my surprise that the plantation division also has soring issuesmerous posts stating the BL division was very very small, and yet now posters are stating there are a lot of BL horses and just as many large stables for training.

I understand not wanting to go to Celebration however most have admitted the billboards and media DID make a difference. Would it not also make a difference to have individuals there..protesting?

Reading throught e threads I am starting to understand that many HATE the BL with all the right reasons..BUT..they really are not going to get involved other than posting..and NO..I am NOT saying all posters..just some.

The amazing late and great Bazy Tankersley of Al-Marah Arabians fame came from a family of priviledge i.e. her father owned the Washington Post at one time and it was Bazy and Tish Hewitt of Hewitt Packard fame who started S.O.S. Save Our Shows.

Bazy stated the best plan was to "out" prominent WOMEN who were showing Arabians that had been tortured. She was a strong woman (and a judge) and she had abstolutely NO problem with others hearing her opinion.

Bazy was the one who said..when a society woman is attached to an abused horse it does NOT stand well with her peers. They do NOT want to be in the columns. She also felt that women could confront other women without the bad man picking on her syndrome.

Maybe this is th3e time to go after that governor or who ever she was..and keep the pressure on her regarding beating a horse in the head..owning and supporting the torture of horses.

However that does mean a person must seek that lady and make sure they let the newspapers know what she has said and also try and ask her questions....and that means one must spend their own money and travel for their cause.
    Last edited by Fairfax; May. 6, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Senator Robin Webb is who I assume you are referring to?

http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot...obin-webb.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    There was NEVER an "outcry" by owners. There was only silence, indicating acquiescence.

In any functioning democracy you always get the government you deserve. That's true in public and private organizations.

Outsiders can pressure for now, but when that pressure goes away what will happen? History suggests a return to "business as unusual." Maybe it will be different this time; I don't have prescience so I don't know what happens tomorrow.

G.
    G,
    You know better than that. There was a huge outcry at the yearly meeting at the Opryland Hotel and we managed to get some good people into some key slots. We just didn't get a majority in there.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Senator Robin Webb is who I assume you are referring to?

http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot...obin-webb.html
    That would be her.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanUpTN View Post
    G,
    You know better than that. There was a huge outcry at the yearly meeting at the Opryland Hotel and we managed to get some good people into some key slots. We just didn't get a majority in there.
    When you get a majority then I might change my view.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I've owned a registered TWH/SSH most of my life. However the last one I purchased in '07 I did not transfer as a silent protest.

FTR that is very much unlike me. When I was breeding,(ASB) those foals were registered ASAP, all of sales were paid and transferred by me personally, guaranteeing it would be done. I'm anal retentive about this stuff. I believe EVERY horse has a right to it's heritage.

I did not transfer Smoke because at about around that time I decided no horse in my possession would every leave my property alive.

TWHBEA was not getting one solitary penny from me. Heaven's I was idiot enough to think they had cleaned it up before the advent of the interwebz.

Our ASB shows always had BL TWH's along for the ride back in the day. I was really surprised not to see them my last time around in the late 90's. It took me a long while to find out why and what happened.

You still can't just Google it. I can't find any info on when the ASB folks had to testify to the Senate that, "you can't sore trotting horses", to keep the USDA out of the ASB shows.

Anyway, I protested with my pittance and I protest with my mouth, and my fingers. I sign petitions, I support. It's all I can do at this point and from my vantage point.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    When you get a majority then I might change my view.

G.
    I know we need help getting a majority. Are you still up for the fight? One of the most disappointing things of that era and since is the folks who left the breed. Not sure if it was because of disgust or exhaustion, but we do need the help of every person who's ever loved a horse. Perhaps you have touched upon an idea there G.......are you still in it with us?

1 members found this post helpful.

Sunridge, that's what many did and I think the membership numbers of TWHBEA shows the effect it had. From 20K down to 8K in 12 years. I noticed the stands at last years Celebration had plenty of empty spots whereas back a few years ago, it was standing room only.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanUpTN View Post
    I know we need help getting a majority. Are you still up for the fight? One of the most disappointing things of that era and since is the folks who left the breed. Not sure if it was because of disgust or exhaustion, but we do need the help of every person who's ever loved a horse. Perhaps you have touched upon an idea there G.......are you still in it with us?
    Nope. Left in about 2000 when I sold my last Walker.

I maintain an interest since I don't like folks who engage in the gratuitous infliction of pain on animals (or people, for that matter).

I do wish you well as time goes on. Sadly, until you get a majority of current TWHBEA members on board with such changes as restricting the membership privileges of people who have HPA violations (particularly keeping them off the Executive Committee even though off the Board would be better) then real "change" will be unlikely. Historically that has never happened. But, like I say, I can't predict tomorrow.

Just be aware that with HSUS (which is just PETA in a better suit) you had best ALWAYS watch your back. Those people are not to be trusted.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

^^^^^^
    ditto
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

ANd for those that do care about keeping the walking horse as a distinct breed, folks I know that have registered TWH bred to registered TWH are opting and paying $$ for the mountain horse registry instead of TWH. They feel they have a better chance at selling a "mountain horse" than a TWH. In their experience the bad rep from all the years of abuse of the breed by those in charge of the breed makes the TWH less marketable. Trail riders flock to Mountain Horses.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

That's very true, Hurleycane. My neighbor bought a Rocky Mountain because she didn't want to deal with TWH baggage. However, I do have two other neighbors who use their TWH for field trials and hunting. A third brags that she used Donald Stamper as her trainer and that her horse was headed for Celebration before he colicked and died, but she's a total idiot...on so many other levels as well. Thankfully, the big lick owner is now out of horses.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Trail riders who want 'Mountain Horses': They think Mountain Horses 'saddle gait'. No one values the TWH 'signature gait' very much- they want a little saddle rack/saddle gait. And hardly anyone puts the time into a TWH to trail ride to help him develop his gait ..they run past it to a rack.

The horse doesn't care either way.

The ACLU weighs in

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...e-ag-gag-bill/

33,000 sign petition opposing Tennessee ‘ag gag’ bill

NASHVILLE — More than 33,000 people nationwide have signed an American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee petition urging Gov. Bill Haslam to veto a so-called “ag gag” bill that critics charge is designed to curb animal abuse investigations, the group says.

Only 350 were from Tennessee, but the ACLU says the list continues to grow.

Haslam is weighing whether to sign, veto or allow the bill, passed last month by state legislators, to become law without his signature. Various celebrities and a clergy group have urged him to veto it as well.

The ACLU’s petition says the legislation “does nothing to prevent cruelty to animals. Even worse, it criminalizes average citizens and journalists who witness and document abuse.

“Please protect our constitutional right to free speech and freedom of the press. Veto the "Ag-Gag" legislation this week,” the petition continues.

The Humane Society of the United States led an unsuccessful charge against the bill in the Legislature, prompting heated remarks from the House sponsor, Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dredsen, in an email to a HSUS official.

Holt said the bill is intended “to help protect livestock in Tennessee from suffering months of needless investigation that propagandist groups of radical animal activists, like your fraudulent and reprehensibly disgusting organization of maligned animal abuse profiteering corporatists, who are intent on using animals the same way human-traffickers use 17 year old women.”
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    The Humane Society of the United States led an unsuccessful charge against the bill in the Legislature, prompting heated remarks from the House sponsor, Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dredsen, in an email to a HSUS official.

Holt said the bill is intended “to help protect livestock in Tennessee from suffering months of needless investigation that propagandist groups of radical animal activists, like your fraudulent and reprehensibly disgusting organization of maligned animal abuse profiteering corporatists, who are intent on using animals the same way human-traffickers use 17 year old women.”
    If I lived in Tenn would I want Andy Holt to represent me orwould I want Ali McGraw (Love Story). Pamela Anderson (Baywatch) Linda Blair (The Exorcist), Julie Christie (Dr. Zhivago) Cloris Leachman (notorious after getting the boot from Dancin With the Stars at age 84) Daryl Hannah (dated John Kennedy..better than all of her activing roles), Kim Bassinger (bought a town and then "forgot to pay for it) Ellen DeGeneres Peta Woman of the Year Award, Tippi Hedren (The Birds) Victoria Principal (Dallas and Infomercials)

and most of them support PETA AND HSUS and also now support the PETA new campaign..The real SAD reason we must euthanize so many of the unloved animals...

HSUS and PETA are very wise...of course TV and Movie goers are impressionable and when they read or hear quotes from their favourite movie star..they actually believe the drivel.

HSUS has vegan and environmental groups in their support camp

Earthkind Inc. (DC); Earthkind International Inc. (DC); Earthkind USA (DC); Earthkind USA (MT); Earthkind UK [ also affiliated with the International Fund for Animal Welfare]; Earthvoice (DC); Earthvoice International (DC); Eating with a Conscience Campaign (DC); The Fund for Animals; HSUS Hollywood Office (formerly The Ark Trust Inc.) (CA); Humane Society International (DC);Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association; Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust; Institute for the Study of Animal Problems (DC); Interfaith Council for the Protection of Animals and Nature (GA); International Society for the Protection of Animals (UK); Kindness Club International Inc. (DC); Meadowcreek Project Inc. (AR);

Tennessee-based Pilot Travel Centers, a network of motorist support centers, withdrew its support for HSUS after thanking the company for its support on the HSUS Facebook page. But the company took so much flak for the $52,000 in donations to HSUS that it quickly ended its support: 'In order to avoid any further misunderstandings, employees will immediately cease collections of donations to HSUS.' Three more companies terminated financial support for HSUS soon after these controversies. The companies included the Mary Kay cosmetics company, Precious Cat, Inc., and Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc in response to protests."

This is NOT a gag battle..the bill could EASILY be adjusted and I was told there was an offer to extend the amount of time but limit it to a maximum of 90 days before it had to be turned in.

HSUS said No!. Absolutely No Limits....

IF they were truly wanting to protect the TWH wouldn't that be enough time to sit on a video...UNLESS..they are going after the right to become the official investigators...taking away that role from Animal Control, Sheriffs and Police.

That..I have been told..is the reason for the fight...Nothing to do with animals...it is all about power and not having to justify their actions in a court of law...Whether we agree with the decisions of some judges on the bench..we do have to admit...THEY made the decision to support or deny a seizure of animals or property.

Now..it is slowly coming to light that HSUS wants THAT power in their hands.

Of course the naysayers will scream conspiracy..tin foil hat...prove that is what they are after...so no one has to believe that at all...

However..it does make sense to me.

Ready for the assault from the supporters who have me on ignore...1...2...3...

There is zero, zilch, nada way you're going to get me to hate Willie Nelson or Betty White. As for the others not so much. That's like hating someone for the religious views or political or bad hair.

Again we really don't care or share your alarm. Not to mention, no links to back up the claim about the HSUS and 90 days.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    There is zero, zilch, nada way you're going to get me to hate Willie Nelson or Betty White. As for the others not so much. That's like hating someone for the religious views or political or bad hair.

Again we really don't care or share your alarm. Not to mention, no links to back up the claim about the HSUS and 90 days.
    I did state I was "told" but the reason that would make sense is: that is what happens when a bill is undergoing development and debate.

I am happy you don't care and do not share my alarm

I am also happy the "gang" who normally don't post on this thread have me on ignore...so it can stay with TWH's.

I don't hate any of those people...their views are their own...the difference...I can vote for or agin a politician..but not against a movie star EXCEPT with my buck...or ten or what ever a movie is now days.

Join us for our conversation tomorrow (Thursday May 9 2013) with TWHBEA President Tracy Boyd and Executive Director Ron Thomas. We'll be Live at 12 pm CST. You can join us live online with your computer, smartphone or tablet. World Wide Online!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/equestr...ci328.facebook

Here is Tennessee's answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-JgtDjsgE

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Tennessee-based Pilot Travel Centers, a network of motorist support centers, withdrew its support for HSUS after thanking the company for its support on the HSUS Facebook page. But the company took so much flak for the $52,000 in donations to HSUS that it quickly ended its support: 'In order to avoid any further misunderstandings, employees will immediately cease collections of donations to HSUS.' Three more companies terminated financial support for HSUS soon after these controversies. The companies included the Mary Kay cosmetics company, Precious Cat, Inc., and Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc in response to protests."

Pilot Travel Centers/Flying J are owned by the Haslam (as in Governor of TN) family. They are also under investigation by the FBI and IRS stemming from a raid there on April 15. However, they have NOT stopped supporting HSUS. Neither has Hill's Pet Nutrition.
    This is NOT a gag battle..the bill could EASILY be adjusted and I was told there was an offer to extend the amount of time but limit it to a maximum of 90 days before it had to be turned in.

As for the offer to extend the time limit to 90 days, that's just pure BS. Never once in any of the proceedings in TN has it been brought up for an extension.

HSUS said No!. Absolutely No Limits....

..... prove it or it never happened. Past events would tend to establish the fact that HSUS has little to no effect on TN lawmaking.

IF they were truly wanting to protect the TWH wouldn't that be enough time to sit on a video...UNLESS..they are going after the right to become the official investigators...taking away that role from Animal Control, Sheriffs and Police.

As noted previously, the lives of TWH have never been in good hands with the sheriffs department or the police, since plenty of these same individuals along with their lawyers, are perpetrators of the abuse. For more than 50 years, Animal Control, sheriff's departments, police, lawyers, judges and government officials have looked the other way regarding the abuse of the TWH. I think they've had plenty of time to clean this up if they had any desire. They have had no desire, so no, I don't think the desire suddenly came upon them. I'll continue to cast my lot with the groups and individuals who truly do want to see this abuse end immediately.

Fairfax, I was beginning to have hope that you were understanding. Why should I or anyone else continue to try to explain the plight of the TWH to you if all you can contribute to this thread is your hatred of HSUS?