The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 221 of 315 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 6295

In the context of USDA and their ability to inspect - I wonder what authority USDA officers have. I understand they can inspect licensed meat processing plants/slaughter houses and such without warrant. But I am curious whether farms with live stock in either the "food chain" or "show/exhibition" campaigns also eliminate the need for USDA to have a warrant to inspect.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

In KY the AG Dept/USDA can only "inspect" a horse farm if there is reason to suspect a contagious disease.
    I do have to wonder though, if they could use the HPA as a reason to enter an establishment when a violation of that act is of concern.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

The HPA only involves horse that are "transported" to shows, sales, etc. So as for the HPA, the horse has to leave the barn. Not sure about USDA, I'll need to check on that.

Anxious to hear from Preacher about how the meeting went today.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/4...ag-Victim.aspx

Roy Exum: America’s First ‘Ag-Gag’ Victim
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 - by Roy Exum

The town of Draper City, Utah, finally became famous this week when Amy Meyer became the first American to be charged with violating the irreprehensible “Ag-Gag” laws that have sprung up around the country. In the state of Utah a person faces a Class A misdemeanor of “agriculture operation interference” if they record an image or a sound of such an operation without the owner’s permission, which is punishable with up to six months in jail.

What makes the story particularly juicy is that Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam has such a bill now awaiting his signature to become a law and several other states are also considering similar measures. “Ag-Gag” laws – in essence – ban evidence of animal abuse and prohibit covert efforts that help to assure livestock is not tortured and sadistically sored in a way that is shamefully still rampant in the Tennessee Walking Horse industry.

Amy – the real “victim” because she was charged instead of those abusing the animals -- was cited by police after she admitted she stood on public property and used her cell phone to film slaughters at the Dale T. Smith and Sons Meatpacking Company, which just so happens to be co-owned by Draper City Mayor Darrell Smith. Here’s what she said on Kirschner’s Korner Radio:

“I visited the Smith Meatpacking Slaughterhouse in Draper, Utah because I have heard numerous reports that any bystander standing on the public thoroughfare could witness the horror of cows struggling for their lives as they were led to their violent deaths. What I saw was upsetting, to say the least. Cows being led inside the building struggled to turn around once they smelled and heard the misery that awaited them inside.

“I saw piles of horns scattered around the property and flesh being spewed from a chute on the side of the building. I also witnessed what I believe to be a clear act of cruelty to animals – a live cow who appeared to be sick or injured being carried away from the building in a tractor, as though she were nothing more than rubble.

“At all times while I documented this cruelty, I remained on public property. I never once crossed the barbed wire fence that exists to demarcate private and public property. I told this to the police who were on the scene.

“I am shocked and disappointed that I am being prosecuted by Draper City simply for standing on public property and documenting horrific animal abuse while those who perpetrated these acts are free to continue maiming and killing animals.”

Police were called after a slaughterhouse supervisor told her to leave and no charges of animal abuse were filed on any employees at the slaughterhouse. Draper City is about 40 miles from Salt Lake City, where the newspaper and thousands of citizens now realize the ‘Ag-Gag’ laws punish the wrong person. Draper City is also home to the Utah State prison.

Utah prosecutors, who could have put Amy Meyer in jail for six months, dropped all charges like a hot potato, presumably because she never trespassed on the slaughterhouse property, but animal protection advocates around the nation are outraged and are actively pursuing state leaders to amend, abolish or change the controversial laws. One California newspaper called the failed “Ag-Gag” bill in that state as “the food industry’s biggest PR gaffe since New Coke.”

“The intent of these bills is crystal clear,” said Matt Dominguez of the Humane Society of the United States this week. “They are meant to keep the American public in the dark about the animal abuse and cruelty going on behind closed doors.”

In Tennessee the legislature recently passed a law by one vote demanding citizens to surrender any evidence of animal abuse within 48 hours. News media outlets claim that such a law would be a violation of the First Amendment and a direct counter to the state’s Reporter’s Shield Law. Groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union, the United Farm Workers, the National Consumers League, the Southern Poverty Law Center and state AFL-CIO chapters oppose “Ag-Gag” laws.

The Humane Society of the United States even launched a $100,000 advertising campaign and Governor Haslam’s office has received many thousands of letters, phone calls and petitions asking he use his veto power. The bill was sponsored in Tennessee by a pig producer, Andy Holt (R-Dresden) and the co-owner of a stockyard, Delores Grisham (R-Somerville).

Over 60,000 have now signed a petition on Change.org against Ag-Gag bills and Governor Haslam has said this is the biggest outcry from the public since he was elected into office.

royexum@aol.com
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Just finished reading that article WITW. Any idea how long this thing has been on Haslam's desk? I know we only have 10 days from the time he gets it.

His ten days (excluding Sundays)to sign, veto or ignore will be up i beleive on May 14. Tick Tock.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

"Over 60,000 have now signed a petition on Change.org against Ag-Gag bills and Governor Haslam has said this is the biggest outcry from the public since he was elected into office."

Yea Tennessee!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    "Over 60,000 have now signed a petition on Change.org against Ag-Gag bills and Governor Haslam has said this is the biggest outcry from the public since he was elected into office."

Yea Tennessee!
    The money spend to defeat that bill by certain groups is probably also the biggest amount since he was elected into office.

As I said, the HSUS is making hay while the sun is shining.
    We wondered why that abuse video was brought out now?
    Well, maybe as a handy way to defeat a very important bill for them, that would keep them from using that stack of abuse videos they are holding close to their heart, to again, as here, use when convenient.

Maybe this drive to defeat the bill could be seen as one more place they have shown their hand?

Beware of free gifts by those that are after you, here after our uses of animals, all of them, even if those gifts are just what you wanted.

Does anyone really believe that this video that "broke the case" would not have been just as effective if shown immediately after being taped?
    If so, there is a bridge for sale somewhere cheap, I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanUpTN View Post
    The HPA only involves horse that are "transported" to shows, sales, etc. So as for the HPA, the horse has to leave the barn. Not sure about USDA, I'll need to check on that.

Anxious to hear from Preacher about how the meeting went today.

Ditto - News Preacher?

Interesting. TWHBEA put on their big summit meeting on Saturday. There were to be two token veterinarians from Auburn there speaking. Guess what ? They didnt show. Maybe they got wind that the lickers wanted to misinterpret the Auburn study to give credence to big lick training. Guess the lickers didnt read the cover letter of the study.

Hopefully Preacher will come on soooooooooon and give his views of the "summit".

Definition of summit:the highest point of attainment or aspiration: the summit of one's ambition.

It should have just been called a Licker Meeting, from what i am hearing it was never intended to be a true meeting of minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

The fact HSUS shopped the video around for one year while so many horses were tortured speaks volumes.
    Show the proof you have of this please.

Maybe easy to believe since that is what they have done with other videos.
    They have said this year they would release one abuse video a month, as part of their propaganda against animal agriculture.

It is a known pattern they follow, have videos on hand and use them when convenient to fight for some bills.
    That the animals may continue to be abused, if the videos were not staged, that seemed to be moot point to them.

That is one more reason the "ag gag" law was brought up, to avoid people sitting on any known abuse, just as it is against the law to do so for human abuses.

Though she opted not to post on COTH - I think she'll not mind this link here. The videos are worth the watch. And I got to say - though the handler was terribly hurt, I wish some one there had had the sense to let her know that tail set was dragging - not sure if that is what happened to her or not - but the picture of her leading the horse like that scared the whajeebers out of me.

Also - the runaway horse is on video. When they do the close up of him walking by you will see the soring.

It is awful stuff.

And it sounds like it was the neighbors who spoke up. Very good that they did.

http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot...pdates-on.html

Today is a new day and i've decided not to be subjected to what Bluey and Fairfax have to say sooooooo, after belonging to COTH for seven years and never having done this, they are going on IGNORE.

2 members found this post helpful.

It worked !

2 members found this post helpful.

Somewhere earlier in the thread the "shopping" of this video was discussed. It was in the hands of HSUS for some some period of time (perhaps not a year) before it was broadcast. IIRC a substantial fee was paid by the network for the video.

This, by the way, is common practice among "stringers" who provide content to news producers. I know a guy in Rockwood, TN who's done this for years as his primary business. He does not specialize in anything, just tries to get to an incident first and he's a good videographer. He also does stills.

As noted, this should be considered before giving the "knee jerk" reaction to bills that require the surrender to authorities of evidence of a criminal activity.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Today is a new day and i've decided not to be subjected to what Bluey and Fairfax have to say sooooooo, after belonging to COTH for seven years and never having done this, they are going on IGNORE.
    No matter what you say, two wrongs, the terrible abuse AND the HSUS sitting on abuse videos for their convenience is just not right, no matter what spin anyone gives to the HSUS motives.

If you read between the lines, those TWH folks trying to save their breed are being used by the HSUS to get free publicity and good press, glossing over their ultimate goals that will hurt those same that now so gullibly are doing their work for them.

If the bill needs defeating, do so because of reasons other than now helping the HSUS back because they got the abuse video finally out there and that helped your cause.
    It behooves those that really care to beware when your enemy comes bearing gifts.

Take the gifts, but don't be mercenary and help your enemy become stronger by doing their work for them trying to defeat this bill or any other they are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Somewhere earlier in the thread the "shopping" of this video was discussed. It was in the hands of HSUS for some some period of time (perhaps not a year) before it was broadcast. IIRC a substantial fee was paid by the network for the video.

This, by the way, is common practice among "stringers" who provide content to news producers. I know a guy in Rockwood, TN who's done this for years as his primary business. He does not specialize in anything, just tries to get to an incident first and he's a good videographer. He also does stills.

As noted, this should be considered before giving the "knee jerk" reaction to bills that require the surrender to authorities of evidence of a criminal activity.

G.
    IMO, the consideration should be the lack in enforcement of Animal Welfare laws and regs. That lack is what gave rise to the HSUS video and their income.

IMO it is time that law enforcement make its own effort to uncover cruelty so that it can be prosecuted. Heck, HPA puts out a list of violators to make it easy for them to set up a few little stings of their own.

What is so very sickening about the whole sored horse debacle is that so many people are OK with them doing this to these animals, then putting the animals that were subjected to this abuse - all fat and shiney - in a show ring and profiting from it.
    It is insane that there is so little outrage directed at this.

But in my simple view - and the view of others - if what HSUS did was "wrong" - well in this case, two wrongs made a right. Cause I think is is very likely that the well publicized and profited video is what educated the neighbor to the abuse going on in Wheelon's barn next door to him.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    IMO, the consideration should be the lack in enforcement of Animal Welfare laws and regs. That lack is what gave rise to the HSUS video and their income.

IMO it is time that law enforcement make its own effort to uncover cruelty so that it can be prosecuted. Heck, HPA puts out a list of violators to make it easy for them to set up a few little stings of their own.

What is so very sickening about the whole sored horse debacle is that so many people are OK with them doing this to these animals, then putting the animals that were subjected to this abuse - all fat and shiney - in a show ring and profiting from it.
    It is insane that there is so little outrage directed at this.

But in my simple view - and the view of others - if what HSUS did was "wrong" - well in this case, two wrongs made a right. Cause I think is is very likely that the well publicized and profited video is what educated the neighbor to the abuse going on in Wheelon's barn next door to him.
    I beg to disagree, because if the video had been provided to the press right then, not waited while it was being shopped around, months at least, you would still have had the same good come out of it.

I will insist, two wrongs just won't make anything right, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Remember, to the HSUS, this is but one more little battle in their war against any use of animals by humans.

The big picture is something we should not forget, or winning this battle may become moot question, if in the end we lose our rights to have animals to care for and use.