The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 219 of 315 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,380 of 6295

From the affidavit - it looks like the USDA inspected on the 17th (Julie McMillan) and the search warrant was carried out on the 18th.

What say the bongos? Was the USDA on the property of their own accord?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

SHOW throws Wheelon under the bus.

https://www.thehorse.com/articles/31...soring-charges

Wheelon Suspended Amid Soring Charges

By Pat Raia • May 02, 2013 • Article #31809

The license of a Tennessee Walking Horse trainer accused of soring horses at his Maryville, Tenn., farm has been suspended by Sound Horses, Honest Judging, Objective Inspections, Winning Fairly (SHOW), the horse industry organization that manages the flagship event for the Tennessee Walking Horse industry.

Soring is the deliberate injury to a horses feet and legs to achieve an exaggerated high-stepping gait. On the federal level the Horse Protection Act (HPA) forbids soring, and the practice is also unlawful under Tennessee state animal cruelty statutes.

On April 25, personnel from the Blount County Blount County Society for the Prevention to Cruelty to Animals, Horse Haven of Tennessee, and Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) removed 19 horses from the Wheelon Stables in Maryville on grounds that the horses had been sored. The allegedly sored horses were placed in a safe location for rehabilitation. Blount County law enforcement personnel subsequently arrested trainer Larry Wheelon and charged him with one count of felony aggravated animal cruelty. Wheelon is free on bond.

Wheelon said by telephone that he had no comment on the case, but that his lawyer might comment in the future.

Blunt County Sheriff's Department Public Information Officer Marian O'Briant said that the investigation into the soring allegations continues. Paul Feeney, deputy counsel of the USDA Office of Inspector General (OIG) declined comment on the case.

“OIG does not comment on our investigative activities,” Feeney said. “We decline to comment on whether we are, or are not, engaged in a particular investigative situation.”

According to the SHOW website, Wheelon is a judge for that horse industry organization, which manages the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.

On April 29, Mike Inman, chief executive officer for The National Tennessee Walking Horse Celebration, said that SHOW had suspended Wheelon's license while the investigation into the soaring allegations is ongoing.

Wheelon is also listed as a director on the Walking Horse Trainers' Association, Inc. According to the website, Wheelon's term as a director expires on Dec. 31, 2013. No one from the Walking Horse Trainers' Association was available for comment on the case.

On April 30, Tracy Boyd president of the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders and Exhibitors Association (TWHBEA) said in a written statement that charges against Wheelon are “disturbing.” “The abuse allegedly endured by horses under the care of Larry Wheelon, if proven true, is disturbing and we are glad that those horses are now receiving proper care,” Boyd's statement said. “Mr. Wheelon will have his due process under our legal system and we will await that result (and) everyone at TWHBEA looks forward to the day when all horses are treated only with the utmost care and respect.”

Also on April 30, Wheelon appeared in Blount County General Sessions Court. His next court appearance is slated for May 14.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...f-ag-gag-bill/

Clergy and others urge veto of 'Ag Gag' bill

By Richard Locker
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.

NASHVILLE — The new statewide organization of religious leaders Clergy for Justice Tennessee delivered to Gov. Bill Haslam’s office Thursday a letter signed by 370 clergy and others urging him to veto a bill they say is designed to prevent exposure of animal abuse.

The group is the latest of several urging a veto of Senate Bill 1248, dubbed the “Ag Gag” bill by the Humane Society of the United States and other opponents. The bill amends Tennessee’s cruelty to animals law to require a person to turn over to law enforcement any “photograph, digital image, video or similar medium” documenting cruelty to livestock within 48 hours. The Humane Society has said the bill is part of a national movement to make it a crime to do the kind of undercover work it did in Fayette County in 2011 when it documented abuse of Tennessee Walking Horses at a trainer’s stable.

State lawmakers narrowly approved the bill last month — in the House by exactly the number of votes required for passage. It was sponsored by Sen. Dolores Gresham, R-Somerville, and Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dresden, both of whom said it was intended to curb animal abuse by requiring immediate reporting to law enforcement.

However, both lawmakers unsuccessfully sponsored a bill last year that would have made it a crime to apply for a job with the intent to make “unauthorized” recordings on the premises and to release the recordings to anyone other than law enforcement, which would have to destroy the recordings after they are used in evidence.

The bill is just now making its way to Haslam, who has 10 days to act on the bill or it becomes law without his signature. The head of Clergy for Justice, Kathy Chambers, presented the letter to a receptionist.

“The relationship between people and animals is a unique one,” the letter said. “Genesis chapter one tells us that all of us are created by God and that God has given humans special charge over the animals ... We, the undersigned clergy and people of faith, are writing to express our deep concerns and great disappointment with the passage of SB 1248.”

There was no immediate comment from the governor’s office.
    Last edited by WalkInTheWoods; May. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added url
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Good news all around WITW!

Holy crap! Went back and was reading some of the comments on various news threads about the Wheelon case. Found one sicko that.......well, I'd best let him speak for himself. This is taken from his Facebook page.

Matt Choate
    Monday near Midway
    Isn't it odd that the same Govt that confiscates obviously [from the video footage alone] fat, shiny, well cared for horses because someone MIGHT be putting something on the pasterns of their feet that causes temporary discomfort, celebrated the murdering of millions of unborn children and gives them MILLIONS of dollars each year to murder 1,500 more each day?

Did I miss something?

I think they are just getting desperate. The Lickers are used to having everything blow over and then its back to business as usual. They do not know how to deal with this snowballing resistance to their usual yadda yadda. The guy above got a little confused. He was supposed to say - There is little soring done to horses anymore. Instead he characterizes soring as putting something on the pasterns of their feet that causes temporary discomfort. Not too smart of him, was it ?

2 members found this post helpful.

Gosh, I hate when I get these late night investigation twinges LOL That fellers page led me to another page where there is much discussion of how the lickers need to fight "those insane animal rights advocates".

WITW, when I see folks like that guy post such nonsense as he did, I really wanna ask him if it's such a temporary discomfort then why don't we test drive some on his legs and do a scientific study. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if that's what he truly believed, right? And if it's just temporary discomfort, then why do the abusers were gloves while applying the stuff? Gosh darn it, just wash ya hands if it doesn't cause "much discomfort". Whew......and they wanna call me a Koolaid drinker?!?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanUpTN View Post
    Gosh, I hate when I get these late night investigation twinges LOL That fellers page led me to another page where there is much discussion of how the lickers need to fight "those insane animal rights advocates".
    But you see, that's how they fight it, by lumping rational people with concerns about abuse with radical animal activists that bomb, burn, let animals loose, etc. They try to paint those against abuse as crazy loons who want to end ownership of all animals. And you know what, we let them get away with it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Inman's ignorance, and the ignorance of all those who support him just speaks volumes. Again, they can not recognize a sore trained horse when they see one. And even put sore horse trainers in high office.

Such a bunch of sad folks.

Hooray! that the good effort marches on! Nay Sayers and sand headers be damned cause they will never understand - even when their own words reveal the truth to them they look away.

And for what?

Just sad.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Totally agree with your take on the deflectors, Laura.

Mornin everyone!

I miss you guys, but I feel like the advance algebra teacher, I can leave the advance class to themselves cuz, they will do their work, are responsible, help each other and do the assignment..LOL!

This group is like a "Think Tank" y'all will take a topic and turn that sucka upside down and all around until nothing but the truth comes tumbling out LOL!

Tomorrow, Sat 5/4/2013..

The Lickers are holding what they call "A Performance Summit" I call it "Licker Meetin"

There are so strong undercurrents of bringing in people, companies, lobbyist, to try to undermine the TWHBEA, raid members, and weak it to the point that a hostile over take could happen.

I've posted a new video only a hand full of people have seen,

1987 Maury Povich of A Current Affair with an expose called "They Hurt Horses Don't They?"

I had a couple more that I will post in a week or so...I will come back and give ya a report of this camp meetin'

Keep up the fight y'all...we got em shootin themselves

Famous LA Laker announcer Chick Hearns would say "Chris it looks like the mustard's off the hot dog now!

Bradley Dick
    Heart of America Walking Horse Association based in Missouri has effective immediately terminated its association with the Performance Show Horse Association (PSHA) based in Shelbyville, Tennessee.

Heart of America Walking Horse Association had high expectations when this new entity was formed in February 2013. The promise was of a new organization for the performance walking horses that would provide equal representation from each association’s Horse Industry Organizations (HIOs), the walking horse trainers association, and from members of each Associations. While the animal rights activists have made soring the issue of debate.

Heart of America will use this vote of confidence to continue its efforts to provide fair and honest horse events while committing to the highest level of integrity in training, inspections and judging. Heart of America Walking Horse Association is announcing its formal withdrawal from the Performance Show Horse Association.

HAWHA will continue their efforts to provide effective inspections and fair competition. We have our industry in mind with our actions and hope to continue collaboration with other HIO's to further our magnificent breed.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    But you see, that's how they fight it, by lumping rational people with concerns about abuse with radical animal activists that bomb, burn, let animals loose, etc. They try to paint those against abuse as crazy loons who want to end ownership of all animals. And you know what, we let them get away with it.
    How about keeping it on topic Laura rather than trying to bait others so they will respond to your post so you can report them to the moderators.

Lets just keep it on the original story..Soring of the TWH. I have not read much about the soring of the plantation horses. What is going to be done with those participants and classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    How about keeping it on topic Laura rather than trying to bait others so they will respond to your post so you can report them to the moderators.

Lets just keep it on the original story..Soring of the TWH. I have not read much about the soring of the plantation horses. What is going to be done with those participants and classes?
    The focus has been on the Big Lick because the Feds are following the Willie Sutton Theory for their limited enforcement dollars. If the Big Lick (with its industrial strength action devices) is regulated out of existence then you'll see the enforcement focus moved down to the Plantation Shod horses, where soring is also a problem.

The DQP who works a show inspects ALL the horses, even barefoot ones. The standard is pretty much the same (if the horse reacts to palpation then they are a candidate for a violation).

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Thank you....do you feel this could negatively impact plantation classes and participants in the spectators eyes?

I am wondering what type of strategy is going to be used to regain the trust of the non TWH owner that soring has stopped when these idiots are driven out of business?

Spoke with a lady in Arizona who said she will not support any TWH classes at their shows as she thinks it negatively impacts all of the other participating breeds as newpapers and people will always refer to the BL and soring.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with the breed

Thank you....do you feel this could negatively impact plantation classes and participants in the spectators eyes?

I am wondering what type of strategy is going to be used to regain the trust of the non TWH owner that soring has stopped when these idiots are driven out of business?

Spoke with a lady in Arizona who said she will not support any TWH classes at their shows as she thinks it negatively impacts all of the other participating breeds as newpapers and people will always refer to the BL and soring.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with the breed
    I can't speak for places outside the South/gaited horse show community. I do know that some shows, even around here, look at the Walkers with a jaundiced eye. But for the TWH "die hards" that's not really a problem because they don't exhibit/compete in that area, anyway.

The current TWH leadership doesn't care a whit about "non-TWH people." In the past they have not had to. In the future? Only time will tell.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Actually Fairfax, Laura has it right. If you have your ear to the ground that is exactly what the Lickers are saying about, and how they are labeling those who are not buying their defense of their training procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Other than getting in a screaming match (which could be construed as fanatical) I'm not sure what else can be done. I've seen posts saying that the rescuer injured at Wheelon's barn was to blame for being trampled by the horse. I'm not sure how to fight ignorance other than pointing out that now almost 20 horses are sleeping soundly in someones barn where they are loved and attended to as they deserve to be. Silly folks argue that those horses looked fat and sleek so in their opinion, they weren't sored.......how do you explain to someone that refuses to hear the moans and groans from that fat sleek horse? So he was fed and bathed.......great job, but that doesn't excuse what was being done to his feet and legs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Raising awareness of the soring issue across the board of classes. One "help" that we are getting from the big lick crowd is that they are screaming to high heaven about all the plantation style horses being sored. So in essence, in their own shagged up way of trying to deflect from themselves, they are outting the rest of the sore horse folk. By the way, not all of the horses in Wheelon's barn were padded that were confiscated so when the test results come back, expect some "flatter" shod people to start running for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Actually Fairfax, Laura has it right. If you have your ear to the ground that is exactly what the Lickers are saying about, and how they are labeling those who are not buying their defense of their training procedures.
    Please re-read her post and you will see it had little to do with the TWH..but a lot to do with other posters ..Anyway..keeping it on topic..I am starting to understand BL has been trading paper with newbies suckered in to spend some big dollars..for the oldies..nice trophies for cocktail bragging rights.

I do not think an owner can say, with a straight face, they did not know what was going on in the barns. Too much general news information clear across the U.S.

Is there talk of holding the owners also accountable? If they refused to pay the bills for the soring it would come to an end..trainers are not going to subsidize their clients..so it does take two to tango.