The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 193 of 315 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 6299

Ugh... Awful to watch and worse to listen to. The distortion on the feet of the horses in this video is really sad. Even on the non-stacked black. But goodness the movement of the stacked horse is bad.

I will leave it at that.

Other than to add very disappointed that Hannah Pulvers participated in this.

Very.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes you are right on the bands aarpaso. Bands are done to overcome bad angles, heavy shoes, poor hoof quality and too high a stack.

Nasty stuff - these people are blind and ignorant.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

1 members found this post helpful.

SHOW HIO manages The Calsonic.
    SHOW HIO runs the TWH Celebration.

Is it ok to write a check to the devil himself?

I cannot be the only person who recalls NWHA's big 'screw you TN, we're goin' North!' only to find that the party didn't travel well? So they are very quietly back...and in bed with the devil himself? And that's ....peachy?

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    correct me if im wrong folks.

but its my understanding the bands are on the flat shod due to the length of the toe.if the weight of the shoe is great the hoof can and does break off at that band in some cases,these are called action devices.

only those folks that do not use pads and or action devices will show is my guess.
    this whole video is just another way for TWHNC to try and get folks to back them.
    You are correct. The band is there to hold a heavy, Plantation shoe on the foot. Hoof tissue is not strong enough to hold a48 oz. shoe no matter what kind of nail you use. Toe length is irrelevant, however; it's all about weight.

A Plantation shoe is an action device. It's just one without moving parts.

The band can be used as a soring agent if it is too tight. That is an HPA violation.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Just watched the Mike Inman video. What a twisted world those people live in, believing there's nothing wrong with their shoeing practices.

None of those horses was born with a running walk, they all step-paced, although the grey did a few steps of a running walk. Take off the shoes and pads and they'd all pace. A head nod and back-end stride does not make a running walk. Either he's lying or he has no clue what a running walk is.

Nothing bad would happen if those classes were removed. People who wanted to show would find other classes to compete in. Mike Inman kept talking as if the TWH was the only gaited breed in the world. Just makes him look even more ridiculous.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Malda View Post
    Just watched the Mike Inman video. What a twisted world those people live in, believing there's nothing wrong with their shoeing practices.

None of those horses was born with a running walk, they all step-paced, although the grey did a few steps of a running walk. Take off the shoes and pads and they'd all pace. A head nod and back-end stride does not make a running walk. Either he's lying or he has no clue what a running walk is.

Nothing bad would happen if those classes were removed. People who wanted to show would find other classes to compete in. Mike Inman kept talking as if the TWH was the only gaited breed in the world. Just makes him look even more ridiculous.
    Agreed. There is so much wrong information here. I guess one thing we can see that is positive about this is there aren't many people there listening to this garbage.
    Andrea, For the Tennessee Walking Horse
    www.forthetwh.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    SHOW HIO manages The Calsonic.
    SHOW HIO runs the TWH Celebration.

Is it ok to write a check to the devil himself?

I cannot be the only person who recalls NWHA's big 'screw you TN, we're goin' North!' only to find that the party didn't travel well? So they are very quietly back...and in bed with the devil himself? And that's ....peachy?
    I have to say I agree with you, katarine. I don't agree with the direction NWHA has gone at all. I personally no longer support any HIO because none of them are no longer for the horse. They're ALL self-serving. I've dropped my memberships from both FOSH and NWHA. The only thing I can give them myself is they have their no-tolerance policy. But both HIOs have made recent choices that no longer uphold what their original intent was, and I don't agree with them anymore.
    www.forthetwh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    You are correct. The band is there to hold a heavy, Plantation shoe on the foot. Hoof tissue is not strong enough to hold a48 oz. shoe no matter what kind of nail you use. Toe length is irrelevant, however; it's all about weight.

A Plantation shoe is an action device. It's just one without moving parts.

The band can be used as a soring agent if it is too tight. That is an HPA violation.

G.
    You know, what's funny is I went to the Scottsdale Arabian horse show over the weekend and watched the Saddle seat championship classes. I watched both the Arab and Half-Arab Classes for each championship division. NONE of the horses had bands on. Some were wearing a slight wedge, but they all had shoes on that clearly fit their feet and there were no bands. These horses stepped lively and actually looked good.

The TWH industry has come to rely on them and use them as tools to help sore their horses. There is absolutely no need for them in the real horse world.
    www.forthetwh.com

G you are not correct this time. An out of balance shoe on a poorly trimmed foot will be just as hard to keep on as a heavy shoe. Those toes that jut out 2 inches in front of a dish in a foot will come right off without a band.

And Malda - I agree about the lack of walking. My connect was slow and at times all I could hear was foot fall. The 1.2-3.4 is what I heard on the grey. The waddling side to side of the black was dramatic and not at all graceful. How can they justify this stuff? How?

What is the word we "mean" people use - bastardized?

And is the speaker Inman? They ran out of $$?

Tuff ta-tas.

And time to question Mr Crawthorn and NWHA. My guess us the USEF legitimacy and more show $$ is what pulls them together.

Just want to add kudos to all those who stay joined to these organizations. Like Nate. ANd it is not a disrespect against those that walked away from these groups. As I see it, being able to stick to your beliefs and be a part of the general society that oversees your activity/business/lifestyle takes a lot of character, commitment and willingness to move ahead. And my guess is being willing to be subject to the difficulties of participation in such a group will build these traits if you lack them.

So then the horses in the video, being ridden western, are really not flat-shod? Not trying to ignite a fire, just trying to understand the demarcation.

And does anyone know who the clinic attendees were? The two men who asked questions clearly had some kind of interaction with the presenter in advance to produce such smooth lobs. And I think I saw one of the female attendees getting up on the gray horse at the end.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Frugal the different HIOs have varied definitions of flat shod. You'd have to read some rule books to get a feel for the definitions.

Flat SHod is no stacks or pads. They have no limit on length of foot/toe that I know of. They have divisions within flat shod classes according to weight, width of shoe, presence or lack of toe weight and or calks etc.

And the video is a good example of how banning bands would eliminate a lot of evils.

Did you notice the scurfed-up hair on the pasterns and coronet of the stacked chained horse as compared to the other two?

Oh- - And I do agree the other folks are lying... TWH IS the ultimate pleasure ride.

Quote Originally Posted by FortheTWH View Post
    You know, what's funny is I went to the Scottsdale Arabian horse show over the weekend and watched the Saddle seat championship classes. I watched both the Arab and Half-Arab Classes for each championship division. NONE of the horses had bands on. Some were wearing a slight wedge, but they all had shoes on that clearly fit their feet and there were no bands. These horses stepped lively and actually looked good.

The TWH industry has come to rely on them and use them as tools to help sore their horses. There is absolutely no need for them in the real horse world.
    What is the maximum shoe weight in these Arab divisions? If the shoe is steel a big shoe will have big weight; if the shoe is AL it won't.

Hurleycane, I think I'm correct in answering the question as asked. Bands are used to hold shoes on because nails, alone, won't. If the shoe is unbalanced or on a poorly trimmed foot nails won't hold it, either. This is not an "either-or" situation.

If the NWHA is drifting back towards the "bigger is better" standard for front end movement it won't be the first "sound horse organization" to do so. I've long maintained that it's the action sought that is the issue. As long as the "big lick" movement is the standard (and makes the money) then you'll have have people who will "do what they have to do" in order to achieve it.

G.

G I think what I was getting at is not apparent in my post. Sometimes bands are used in a lighter shod horse because the trainer and farrier sought to add an extreme toe extension to animate the front end. Which is what I was getting at with the 2 inch toe in front of the dish. So it is not always just the weight - but the sought after mechanical distortion which necessitates the band.

Gotta say again - outlawing them bands is the ticket.

Thank you all. Light is beginning to dawn.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

SHOW Inc. is david howard Show hio is david howard.Show Inc is TWHSO and now is PHA. So its very plan David Howard owns either Shelbyville or the Calsonic.maybe both.He(david Howard)has most if not all of the control in the twh show arena.now he is going after the NWHA.

my question is WHO did He pay and how?

the Calsonic is not going out of business or out of MONEY.

SHOW Inc. is david howard Show hio is david howard.Show Inc is TWHSO and now is PHA. So its very plan David Howard owns either Shelbyville or the Calsonic.maybe both.He(david Howard)has most if not all of the control in the twh show arena.now he is going after the NWHA.

my question is WHO did He pay and how?

the Calsonic is not going out of business or out of MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    G I think what I was getting at is not apparent in my post. Sometimes bands are used in a lighter shod horse because the trainer and farrier sought to add an extreme toe extension to animate the front end. Which is what I was getting at with the 2 inch toe in front of the dish. So it is not always just the weight - but the sought after mechanical distortion which necessitates the band.

Gotta say again - outlawing them bands is the ticket.
    This would make sense. The band, however, is still being used for the same purpose: hold something on the foot that can't be held in normal fashion (glue, nails, etc.).

G.

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    Now this is really worth watching,a great video very very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFD2...e_gdata_player
    Head * Desk

It's not "bunk" - it's truth, staring you right in the face.... especially the BL gelding on the right, replete with wavy hair indicative of chemical soring.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.