The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 184 of 315 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 6292

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Like the cat, Cordial keeps coming back. And she makes the same claims in the same language. And doesn't answer substantive questions. Her presence or absence neither adds to nor subtracts from the discussion.

Soring is not done out of some motivation to cause gratuitous pain.* It's done to get a certain motion. Stacks and other action devices are used for the same purpose. When combined you bet a really big change in equine motion. That's what is being sought. That change in equine motion, IMO, causes long term and short term injury to the horse. So if you do away with one (either one) you've only done half the job. That's why the actions of the various professional groups are very important (and very telling).

There are NO university level studies to support my opinion. It was formed after re-habbing several former Big Lick horses. It was supported as I learned more about equine movement and how the devices (particularly the stacks) alter that movement. Cordial says I'm wrong. She has made multiple, unsupported claims. So, who's right? Make your own choice.

Soring is unlawful, stacks (and other "action devices") are not. IMO opinion this is an unsatisfactory situation. The HPA should be amended to consign the stacks (and other action devices) to the dustbin of history. As with all things, YMMV.

G.

*What you saw in the McConnell video was rank stupidity. I'm not even sure what the goal of the "training" was. That's damn sure not how you "steward" a horse. After watching it my first inclination was to say "here's your sign." It does open a window, however, into a world that is usually shrouded in darkness.
    I'm totally not saying I agrre with cordial, That's not at all what I meant. I'm against stacks, chains, soring, big lickers, the whole deal! But I realize after repeatedly asking her why she stacks her horse if she supports avma, and never getting a real answer - because she wont admit stacks are cruel -that shes not worth wasting time on, she refuses to take off her rose tinted glasses and just comes on to start fights.
    I am DONE* with cordial

* actually done, not saying it, what? three times? like her
    Last edited by Thoro; Feb. 4, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

2 members found this post helpful.

why haven't we seen any photos of Cordial's 22 yr old? Is it because his ankles are ruined and the damage would be clearly obvious?

I can't wait for his retirement when his stacks will be removed so he can "...just be a horse..." and enjoy turn out and moving freely. If he can......

5 members found this post helpful.

Turns out that the Smoky Mountains TWH Sale has also be canceled! Apparently this sale is bigger than the After Christmas one. The horses are safe again.
    "The Smoky Mountain Sale was recently informed by the USDA of new livestock sale regulations. Due to the complexity of these regulations and the time constraints we will not be able to have the February 2013 sale. We apologize for any inconvenience. We would like to thank all of our customers for their business." http://www.smokymountainsales.com/

Quote Originally Posted by walknsound View Post
    Turns out that the Smoky Mountains TWH Sale has also be canceled! Apparently this sale is bigger than the After Christmas one. The horses are safe again.
    "The Smoky Mountain Sale was recently informed by the USDA of new livestock sale regulations. Due to the complexity of these regulations and the time constraints we will not be able to have the February 2013 sale. We apologize for any inconvenience. We would like to thank all of our customers for their business." http://www.smokymountainsales.com/
    I wonder what complexities they are referring to... If no HIO - I thought their only obligation was to let USDA inspectors on property - NO?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

On my way home I saw a padded up horse being ridden. It is a road I take all the time. Barn is all shut up to keep the cold, sun, etc out. But today, it was very spring like out.

It is a little barn, and in typical fashion you see very few if any horses out anywhere, much less them being RIDDEN where prying eyes can see. There are no signs saying anything about the barn. But yet they are still doing the pads. Younger guy was up riding. He was of course leaning forward in "the position".

Saw a very dark sorrel horse, doing the padded thing. Tail looked like it was braided up, taped with dark tape(?) and all you saw was the bone sticking out.

So somebody has not yet given up on the padded horse idea and making money. A tiny barn, trying to make a name for themselves - still.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    On my way home I saw a padded up horse being ridden. It is a road I take all the time. Barn is all shut up to keep the cold, sun, etc out. But today, it was very spring like out.

It is a little barn, and in typical fashion you see very few if any horses out anywhere, much less them being RIDDEN where prying eyes can see. There are no signs saying anything about the barn. But yet they are still doing the pads. Younger guy was up riding. He was of course leaning forward in "the position".

Saw a very dark sorrel horse, doing the padded thing. Tail looked like it was braided up, taped with dark tape(?) and all you saw was the bone sticking out.

So somebody has not yet given up on the padded horse idea and making money. A tiny barn, trying to make a name for themselves - still.
    You saw all of this from the road? Even the tail taped with DARK tape? All you saw was the bone sticking out?

Let me try and understand this. Driving by...even at 30 MPH or even a little slower..keeping your eyes on the road...driving by a farm where you have never seen horses worked before, so you were not ready for that visual opportunity, but you saw detail?

With those talents you need to become both a judge AND an inspector.

Oh geez. Go away Fairfax. Your potstirring is not welcome here. Did you get tired of getting beat up on other threads ?
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

The horse was less than 50' from the road edge, but within their fenced area. Very VERY rural area. I know this barn. I drive on that road VERY VERY frequently 2-3 times a day to be exact. Speed limit is 55 I was driving 45-50. Not hard to spot. 2 lane road, WIDE open to see everything around. No traffic. Hey when you live in a rural area you look at the livestock in the pastures, or at least I do. It is a rare event when you see a horse outside of this barn being ridden, much less turned out. They never turn those horses out. Sad to see in the summer horse heads sticking out of little tiny windows. Those windows are boarded up at the moment.

I have been driving by there for the past 16 years.

Sure I would love to be a judge. AND an inspector.

Dark sorrel, dark tail. Tail sticking out looked like a stick sticking out. IOW no tail hair was seen flying in the breeze. The horse did not have a flax mane and tail.

Also the guy had on a BRIGHT yellow shirt, dark ball cap, white man. Not a fat guy - ha ha.

From my endurance riding background of 20+ years, I pay really close attention to things and details, especially to horses.

So was this your horse then? You riding? Your property? :+p
    Last edited by rmh_rider; Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

4 members found this post helpful.

Welcome to you too....Not against what you are trying to do ..just trying to keep the message focused. Guess you don't like anyone who has any other view. Explains why most don't even bother to post except for the same old same old

Fairfax, I could get that much detail, driving by a horse & rider in my travels.

Why do you doubt rmh_rider?

Anyone with decent vision and a clue could see that much, easy. The tape being dark? Well- duh- it's likely to be electrical tape. Sure, you can buy it in pink, but really? That's impossible?

FlairFlax is just pissed that no one's taking him seriously. Again.

Where is AARpaso?

Hope you are OK and all is well.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

1 members found this post helpful.

aarpaso will be back very soon. puter problems being resolved.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Fairfax is practicing for when they are going to go after the Saddlebreds.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Oh I feel like pot stirring. I hope they do after the Saddlebreds and the Arabians and the Morgans and the stock horses. I hope they go after them all. I hope they stop the showing of WEANLINGS on wedged and weighted shoes. Now that is crime if there ever was one. Blech! Modern breed shows have been nothing if not detrimental to the very breeds they represent. They are only for ego driven sociopaths. Take that FF.

6 members found this post helpful.

The message against soring is great. The holding those accountable is great. The problem is...when others want to feel important they "appear' to invent stories to support the crowd. That isn't needed here. The cause is worthy for the TWH.

jI just doubted the sequence of events and the detail...as seen from a road...going by driving a vehicle.

Stay on your message.

As for Sunridge...Mary...you have been bitter against all the breeds as long as I have read your posts. I remember when you posted on TROT that your Dad's breeding program was not accepted and could not win due to their bloodlines (not the current ones) and you were not with a BN stable. I don't remember you from Arabs so I have no idea what your involvement was.

Many support your disgust towards "clown" shoes so you are not alone.

With all of the claims and counter claims against Country divisions in flat show TWH's I would be concerned that show secretaries will just drop all TWH classes. I believe that would be a shame. I am not sure what the solution will be.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Oh I feel like pot stirring. I hope they do after the Saddlebreds and the Arabians and the Morgans and the stock horses. I hope they go after them all. I hope they stop the showing of WEANLINGS on wedged and weighted shoes. Now that is crime if there ever was one. Blech! Modern breed shows have been nothing if not detrimental to the very breeds they represent. They are only for ego driven sociopaths. Take that FF.
    Right on!

LOL SR1.

FF does get wrapped up in the dogma and personal swipes on this and the "other" issue. Have not read his stuff in a while and still it reads the same on any topic.

But I will again offer the counter point that TWH has great potential for full USEF acceptance (and therefore some legitimacy) with NWHA. And IMO there is not a fat chance in hell that the TWH fans are gonna lose enthusiasm or confidence because a stack, chain etc enters the dust bin.

And the Arabians, Morgans and Saddlebreds - with their USEF membership - well, my guess is they are all weighing the merits of the methods and uses of their horses within the context of the TWH happenings and pressures.

A real Martha Stewart era for the American horse for sure.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    YES!

You know FF in all my online years you have never, ever gotten any facts straight about me or my program or anyone else for that matter. NOT. ONE. SINGLE. TIME. Which is precisely why I don't trust ANYTHING you write. You shoulda been a politician instead of a horse/dog trader.

3 members found this post helpful.