The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 181 of 315 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 6295

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I've been told, point blank and in person, by multiple TWH Names that you don't use the leg or seat with a Walker, only the hand. On the rare occasion the leg is used it's to spur the horse to greater effort. The butt stays against the cantle to encourage the horse to "raise" the front end (i.e., application of the "rocking horse theory of equine moment").

And the Names are correct if you're talking about the show ring. Just not anywhere else.

G.
    You are very wrong about TWH riders only using their hands. Our trainer works alot with her clients to ride off your legs and your Butt. Our twh's are so side sensitive that you can move them quickly in any direction. You must have never ridden a very talented TWH if you have never experienced that talent.

Quote Originally Posted by cordial View Post
    You are very wrong about TWH riders only using their hands. Our trainer works alot with her clients to ride off your legs and your Butt. Our twh's are so side sensitive that you can move them quickly in any direction. You must have never ridden a very talented TWH if you have never experienced that talent.
    Certainly couldn't see any of that kind of work in the sales videos.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

3 members found this post helpful.

No, I'm quite correct. Maybe your trainer does these things, but maybe not.

Why not post your trainer's name and some video and we'll see if what you say is correct or not?

Otherwise just spend some time on u-tube and watch and learn.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Why not post your trainer's name and some video and we'll see if what you say is correct or not?

G.
    AllI know that when anybody up North buys a TWH that has been trained and started in the south...most trainers up north have to train a horse and teach him or her to be side sensitive and to be able to use your butt when riding.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Certainly couldn't see any of that kind of work in the sales videos.
    Just because you don't see it in your so-called video's doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Just because you don't see it in your so-called video's doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
    You mean they aren't videos, they are actually iguanas??

2 members found this post helpful.

G.
    No, you are not correct....I am from the North where you see alot of pleasure horses that are trained to do , many other things ,then just go forward. You are always so certain of your damn facts about Walking Horses, and are always so sure of yoursel, but you are incorrect in many facts, and this is one of them. Our flat-shod horses can do Flying lead changes, side passes, 360, and are very side , also. Granted it is harder to ride a horse off your legs, and your seat then just pulling them in the mouth with your arms and hands, but we do it all the time, and I'll bet there are other walkinghorse people that will agree with me and not you.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, you are not correct....I am from the North where you see alot of pleasure horses that are trained to do , many other things ,then just go forward. You are always so certain of your damn facts about Walking Horses, and are always so sure of yoursel, but you are incorrect in many facts, and this is one of them. Our flat-shod horses can do Flying lead changes, side passes, 360, and are very side , also. Granted it is harder to ride a horse off your legs, and your seat then just pulling them in the mouth with your arms and hands, but we do it all the time, and I'll bet there are other walkinghorse people that will agree with me and not you.
    If you stop frothing at the mouth you won't get your computer screen so wet.

Yes, I am "damn sure of myself." Anybody who wants to verify what I've said only need spend some time with u-tube (if they don't want to take the time to attend a TWH show).

Do some Walkers ride in a classical fashion. Yes; mine used to. But the numbers that follow that road are small. In the flat-shod show ring they are a clear minority. In the Big Lick show ring they are non-existent.

You see a lot of "forked seat" riding in Walkers (and in Racking and SSHs). This was the dominant style before the development of two things: posting and the Caprilli "forward seat." Later these two styles would combine to form the "balanced seat." Normally you don't post on a Walker but that doesn't mean you just sit up there like an old sack of wheat. Again, spend some time watching and you'll see very little use of the leg except to spur forward and little use of the seat.

G.

P.S. How about that info on your trainer?
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Somehow i just cant see a padded performance horse doing sidepasses. Clunk Clunk CLunk ooops Oh sorry just noticed it was cordial's flatshods that do that (as they should be able to)
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

If you stop frothing at the mouth you won't get your computer screen so wet.

Yes, I am "damn sure of myself." Anybody who wants to verify what I've said only need spend some time with u-tube (if they don't want to take the time to attend a TWH show).

Do some Walkers ride in a classical fashion. Yes; mine used to. But the numbers that follow that road are small. In the flat-shod show ring they are a clear minority. In the Big Lick show ring they are non-existent.

You see a lot of "forked seat" riding in Walkers (and in Racking and SSHs). This was the dominant style before the development of two things: posting and the Caprilli "forward seat." Later these two styles would combine to form the "balanced seat." Normally you don't post on a Walker but that doesn't mean you just sit up there like an old sack of wheat. Again, spend some time watching and you'll see very little use of the leg except to spur forward and little use of the seat.

G.

P.S. How about that info on your trainer?
    all over the screen
    By the way...I am not about to "frouth" all over the screen...how rude and nasty are you? I will talk to my traner and ask her to video our horses and see if she is willing to take the time to do that, but you are a mean-spirited person .

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Somehow i just cant see a padded performance horse doing sidepasses. Clunk Clunk CLunk ooops Oh sorry just noticed it was cordial's flatshods that do that (as they should be able to)
    I never implied that our padded horse could do side-passages....I said our pleasure horses. By the way the Golf Coast Horse in Florida in April is back on again.

You know, Cordial, everyone's been very kind about my TWH doing gaited dressage, I've posted videos of him here, no big deal.

If your Flat Shod horses/pleasure horses can do flying changes, sidepass, and spin ( I am guessing that's what a 360 is) and all that jazz, the best way to shut up the 'haters' is to just show your cards and show them that it's true. Doesn't everyone that shows a horse have videos of that horse? Especially walking horse peeps- since it's all about the gait they are forever taking videos.

Just prove it. That's all you'd have to do.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    You know, Cordial, everyone's been very kind about my TWH doing gaited dressage, I've posted videos of him here, no big deal.

If your Flat Shod horses/pleasure horses can do flying changes, sidepass, and spin ( I am guessing that's what a 360 is) and all that jazz, the best way to shut up the 'haters' is to just show your cards and show them that it's true. Doesn't everyone that shows a horse have videos of that horse? Especially walking horse peeps- since it's all about the gait they are forever taking videos.

Just prove it. That's all you'd have to do.
    I appreciate your kind words, but because we own a padded horse the haters will never believe ......even if I post a million pictures, that I am saying the truth. I am surprised that they don't blash you for your dressage efforts. MY trainer also works in a little dressage with all her TWH clients.......she just does alot of things that some trainers don't bother with.
    I know that there are other TWH posters on here that have Padded horses, and flat-shod for that matter, but don't come on here anymore because of the bashing that they receive.. I an due to go in and get my knee relolplaced in one week. When I am able to ride again, and the weather gets better I will get some videos. I might even throw one in of our wonderful padded horse. Then you watch them scream!!! LOL

I never implied that our padded horse could do side-passages....I said our pleasure horses. By the way the Golf Coast Horse in Florida in April is back on again.
    Yes, Walking Horse Trainers Assoc. (WHTA) is sponsoring the show. Their board of directors is a stellar bunch. Not much different from the TWHNC mob. It is a beautiful venue. Glad the USDA folks will get a chance to go there.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Yes, Walking Horse Trainers Assoc. (WHTA) is sponsoring the show. Their board of directors is a stellar bunch. Not much different from the TWHNC mob. It is a beautiful venue. Glad the USDA folks will get a chance to go there.
    Ah yes, the Government boys love a paid vacation in Florida on the beach....paid for by the taxpayers. lol,lol

You know Cordial, you complain about G. being rude to you, yet you were the one who said after G. was 'very wrong' after G. had commented about twh riders using hand not leg and seat.
    There's no need to just be rude for the sake of starting an argument, its not like G. was singling you out. Sure, not every twh is ridden with mainly hand, but the majority of the ones you see ARE
    If yours aren't that's great.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

[QUOTE=Thoro;6810003]You know Cordial, you complain about G. being rude to you, yet you were the one who said after G. was 'very wrong' after G. had commented about twh riders using hand not leg and seat.
    There's no need to just be rude for the sake of starting an argument, its not like G. was singling you out. Sure, not every twh is ridden with mainly hand, but the majority of the ones you see ARE
    If yours aren't that's great.[/QUOTE

Mine are not just ridden by hands and arms....I work very hard at that as that is much more diffucult than you think.. Our trainer is a real "Bug" about keeping a horse in Frame, using and feeling your seat under you, and using leg pressure when necessary. If I get too heavy handed I get told that and I back off.
    I've seen alot of shows over the last 21 years, and I can't believe that the majority of TWH are ridden with just hands. I have seen some wonderful riders, and too be honest...alot of them are woman. Some have wonderful equation. I can't judge riders by watching You Tube. I see them in person at shows and seeing other riders at the various barns when they are having a lesson, or working their various horses.!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    This gelding is the most naturally gaited horse I own.
    Notice he has normal shoes, nothing 'gaited' or weird.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanpr/8408639017/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanpr/8409738420/

this stepping under shot ( I think) shows how the angles can work together to create a deep reach -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanpr/8408648621/
    Nice horse! Do you do dressage with him or a different walker?
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!

Ah yes, the Government boys love a paid vacation in Florida on the beach....paid for by the taxpayers. lol,lol
    So..... you think its funny that WE taxpayers have to pay for the mess the Lickers have made ? Why is that funny ?

You ending your posts with laughter is a bit of an improvement over calling us idiots then wishing us a good holiday, but equally strange.

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=cordial;6810073]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    You know Cordial, you complain about G. being rude to you, yet you were the one who said after G. was 'very wrong' after G. had commented about twh riders using hand not leg and seat.
    If yours aren't that's great.[/QUOTE

Mine are not just ridden by hands and arms....I work very hard at that as that is much more diffucult than you think.. Our trainer is a real "Bug" about keeping a horse in Frame, using and feeling your seat under you, and using leg pressure when necessary. If I get too heavy handed I get told that and I back off.
    I've seen alot of shows over the last 21 years, and I can't believe that the majority of TWH are ridden with just hands. I have seen some wonderful riders, and too be honest...alot of them are woman. Some have wonderful equation. I can't judge riders by watching You Tube. I see them in person at shows and seeing other riders at the various barns when they are having a lesson, or working their various horses.!
    Good to hear!
    I also don't usually watch youtube, but a lot of the riders I see use a lot of hand, and are practically on their horses loins, and hunched. Just not good...