The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 135 of 315 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 6299

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    You misunderstood me. I KNOW they sore all levels of TWH show horses, I have seen sored lite shod horses with my own eyes. Barney Davis got caught soring SSHs, a breed that doesn't even have padded horses.

I was refuting Baby Green's adamant "BS" post, letting her know/reminding educating her that they do, in fact, sore all levels.

Not everyone sores TWH show horses, but there are those who sore at every level. I don't see removing the pads from the ring as removing soring from the ring. Some among us think they are the only bad apples. There's lots of bad apples in the bushel, you and I both know that.

And what of the 3oz added to a dressage horse's fore shoes, heels- that's not therapy. That's sizzle. That's enhancement.
    Don't for get about, in my humble opinion, the worst abuse is pressure shoeing!

interesting link

Tennessee state law re: Animal Cruelty

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cruelty/tn_cruel.htm

excerpt: (all italics mine)
    "39-14-202 Cruelty to animals.
    (a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly:
    (5) Inflicts burns, cuts, lacerations, or other injuries or pain, by any method, including blistering compounds, to the legs or hooves of horses in order to make them sore for any purpose including, but not limited to, competition in horse shows and similar events.
    (d) In addition to the penalty imposed in subsection (f), the court making the sentencing determination for a person convicted under this section shall order the person convicted to surrender custody and forfeit the animal or animals whose treatment was the basis of the conviction. Custody shall be given to a humane society incorporated under the laws of this state. The court may prohibit the person convicted from having custody of other animals for any period of time the court determines to be reasonable, or impose any other reasonable restrictions on the person's custody of animals as necessary for the protection of the animals.
    (f) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor."

Reading the State statute, 'at home' soring can also be punished IF there are charges and a prosecution and conviction.

Note that the Federal law HPA in this case does NOT take away horses; and the State may.

Maybe some energy ought to be expended toward Tennessee enforcing it's laws.

By the way, the original HPA does have a statement 'any device...' that would cover ALL the possible ways to mechanically sore a horse, so listing XYZ in the new version is superfluous anyway. If it results in soreness, charges can be attached, it doesn't matter if it is your grandma's lace hanky.

How about finding some funding or backing for enforcement of laws already here?

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    No, by all means, carry on. You have it all figured out.
    I don't have anything figured out. You seem to be denying that those things are done. There I will say BS.

I live in the part of the country where they allow hunting bear with dogs. I hate it. I hate how the dogs are kept the majority of the year. I hate the callousness to the dogs. Yes they are hunting type dogs and "love" to hunt. However they are really raccoon hunting dogs. Ill equipped to deal with an angry bear, and often lose their lives to bear mauling not to mention wolves. In years past bear dog hunters were very impervious to trespass laws, down right rude and obnoxious. The hunt with dogs was on the brink of BANNING. OMG!

Now the WI Bear Hunting Council is powerful in this state. They WANT to keep hunting with dogs legal. If you as a landowner have a legitimate complaint, don't even bother with the DNR or law enforcement. Call the council, they'll take the guys birthday away. Which is the way it should be.

TWHBEA did not, will not police their own. The cultish industry is to blame and it even spread.

BTW I owned a SSH way back in the beginning, 1989/90 They were strictly pleasure horses no pads or weights, no breaking level. I loved it. They were any Pinto horse that did a 4 beat gait. MFT, TWH, ASB crosses. Now....look at them. Pressure shod to death.

@ D_baldstockings - As I understand it, new funding is what made the McConnell's and the other recent Federal prosecutions possible.

I won't belabor my previous point regarding why the action devices need to go in order to stop the soring. But you do realize the soring was done at home on McConnells WGC horses? And his horses took that took WGC had "training" that included soring and they indeed passed the pre show inspection to be free of soring at the time of showing??? You do realize that? And if the chain and stack was not on that once sored foot, there would have been no "action" or high step by that horse in the ring?? IOW pull the stack and weight and such out of the ring and they will stop soring. WHY???? Well, because a barefoot sored at home horse but presented at show unsored will not high step. The only way for soring to work is for the horse to BE SORE O.R. for the horse to be weighted/stacked/chained and previously sored.

So taking the action devices out of the ring will stop and render useless the current McConnell way of training which is sore them, steward them etc etc etc.

DO you see now that as long as they can stack chain and weight a foot - they are gonna sore and get away with it???? AND they will.

Otherwise, the only and I mean ONLY way to catch the likes of McConnell was with deep pockets of HSUS.

Oh Lordy me - my apologies - I did belabor that point again. If you see the point - please indicate so. Understanding does not mean agreement. BTW it is actually AVMA/AAEP's point and I totally get it.

And though some here have indicated a disagreement with it, i do agree that punishment will help. And again it would be good to acknowledge that law was recently changed to require more severe penalty if ticketed.

The other thing that needs to occur is the show organizations need to step up and ban more folks from their industry. But plenty continue on their very boards with such violations. So there is very little chance of true enforcement there.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Ditto sunridge1.

And I want to add my lament which is IMO gaited horses do offer many a nice and varied gait. I for one would love to see the multi-gaited horse get mote recognition in the show ring. You and I both know many a horse can do a variety of gaits - not just speed variations on one of the soft gaits buy they can do the rack or foxtrot or running walk or stepping pace and trot n canter too!

Sorry that so many breeds to the mechanical slide.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    Ditto sunridge1.

And I want to add my lament which is IMO gaited horses do offer many a nice and varied gait. I for one would love to see the multi-gaited horse get mote recognition in the show ring. You and I both know many a horse can do a variety of gaits - not just speed variations on one of the soft gaits buy they can do the rack or foxtrot or running walk or stepping pace and trot n canter too!

Sorry that so many breeds to the mechanical slide.
    The TWH I have now is multi-gaited. He's a scream. He running walks although I have get him to flex at he poll and drive him forward to get it. He does an ass kicking stepping pace (his preferred gait). He racks and hard paces so fast other horses have to 'gallop' not canter to keep up with him.

Which brings me back to temperament of this breed. This horse would allow me do nearly anything TO him. He would just stand there and flap his bottom lip. I know when he flaps his bottom lip he's uncomfortable or scared. I seriously think his original owner/breeder didn't really care. I on the other hand acknowledge it and adjust my handling. He came out of KY byway of a personal friend. I honestly feel bad for him and his mistrust of humans.

"...I won't belabor my previous point regarding why the action devices need to go in order to stop the soring. But you do realize the soring was done at home on McConnells WGC horses? And his horses took that took WGC had "training" that included soring and they indeed passed the pre show inspection to be free of soring at the time of showing??? You do realize that?

And if the chain and stack was not on that once sored foot, there would have been no "action" or high step by that horse in the ring??

IOW pull the stack and weight and such out of the ring and they will stop soring. WHY???? Well, because a barefoot sored at home horse but presented at show unsored will not high step.

The only way for soring to work is for the horse to BE SORE O.R. for the horse to be weighted/stacked/chained and previously sored."

I added the spaces to set off the statements made.
    So your contention is that removal of chains (I'll skip stacks for the moment) from the show ring would result only in low breaking horses; that it is only the chain + prior soring that results in the high front action, on a horse that has passed inspection, correct?

Secondly it is your contention that a pad also produces (separate effect) a high breaking step of itself (without chains?) if a horse has experienced prior soring? Or does that not require prior soring to get a high step - but the pad itself solo is harmful to the horse?

Thirdly you contend that the gait with high breaking motion in the TWH show ring is always due to prior soring and never humane training?

Ergo, any horse displaying 'the gait' has to have been sored? Yes?

And finally you contend that a barefoot horse sored (chemicals) without any appliance added never develops the high breaking gait?
    -This would be the reasoning behind outlawing weight or pad to end chemical soring in reverse as a futile exercise.

Have I understood your viewpoint?

This is also from Tennesse State law
    "39-14-209 Horse shows.
    (a) It is the duty of any person designated and acting as a ringmaster of any horse show or similar event to disqualify any horse determined by the ringmaster to be suffering from the causes set out in s 39-14-202(a)(5) from further participation in such show, and to make a report of the same, including the name of the horse, the owner of the horse, and the exhibitor of the horse, to the manager or chairman of the show, who in turn shall report the same in writing to the district attorney general of the county wherein the incident occurred for appropriate action.

(b) A violation of this duty is a Class C misdemeanor. "

So how is that working out for the State?
    Have ANY reports been made? Are they simply disregarded?
    Are there no ringmasters?

Stricter? laws with continuing lax enforcement is not going to change anything -except allow the future opportunity to amend those breed-narrow laws to include all breeds and disciplines in future in unmerited over-regulation.
    On those grounds alone I would oppose the amendment.

Soring is already recognizable, illegal and punishable.
    Lacking more funding, how effective will any amendment be?
    You do realize money raising efforts springboarding off the videos and the trial have gone to the coffers of 'lets change the (wording of the) law' not to 'lets (make it mandatory to) enforce the law', yes?

The deep pockets of HSUS were not reached into for this exercise however they did have a very successful donation drive over it. The were paid for the tape and paid for their sources. Wayne Pacelle's wife, who operates the Los Angeles "Hollywood Connection" said she had great response from many of the movie crowd.

They have not paid the Ten Thousand Dollars on the current case and I doubt if they will pay it more than once.

Did you read my whole post?
    I do believe I got the gist of it.

Actually banning pads would at least eliminate hiding pressure shoeing which isn't only a TWH thang to be sure.
    There are 2 types of soring. Pastern and hoof. Without a pad the only thing they could do is road founder or quick the hoof. Which is something they already do but still...
    Here is the flaw to your logic…pressure shoeing can and is performed on horses without a pad. If removal of a pad would eliminated the hiding of it, would it also not make it more detectable? Then why is this a common method used on the light shod horses? (aka no pad…not even a little one)

As a side note, the accepted types of soring are chemical and mechanical, of which they are usually used in conjunction with the other but not always.
    You can take away pads but soring will continue on in both the chemical and mechanical sense. You don’t need chains for chemicals to work and you certainly don’t need pads to pressure shoe. That is the problem I have with being anti-padded TWH.

There really are two areas; being against soring and being against padding. A person can be both but they are not and never will be the same thing. A sore horse is not always a padded horse and a padded horse is not always a sore horse. Just because padding looks weird does not make it wrong.

The TWH has a rocky history when it comes to soring. Look at old photographs of TWH from ‘back in the day’ (before pads were used) and you will see some pretty gnarly pasterns…thick, scarred, ugly, actual visual reminders of the practice which was commonplace and allowed at the time. People just confuse me when they show these beautiful horses of yesterday and how they ‘should’ be the standard of the TWH when a high number were sored in some way because it was an accepted practice. You used to be able to just slap on a set of tack lined bell boots and enter the show ring.

Now, there are different types of TWH. They have specialized even more since the 70’s, 60’s, 50’s 40’s, etc. I don’t agree with some of the overspecialization I have seen (padded TWH who stand level WITH pads on because of their short front legs and long angular back legs) but that does not mean the breed as a whole has not been bred for more walk, more sit, and more lick.

The TWH is now bred for pacing. It's a rare horse who does a natural running-walk. The sit and lick come from the stacks and soring, which nothing to do with walking. I don't think I've seen a big lick horse do an actual walk, they're all step-pacing. But the trainers will call it walking only because the horse's head is nodding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    but that does not mean the breed as a whole has not been bred for more walk, more sit, and more lick.

*sigh*

I remember why I avoid this thread like the plague.

Argue away folks.

Rudy - I think if you expand a little on the statement of "soring is common on the light shod horse" people will get a better overall picture of this "technique."

The expansion I would add is this: RARE is the sadistic idiot that actually presents a sore horse at the show. They sore at home then bring the sore training to the ring.

I think D_Baldstockings you might be understanding now - and hopefully you are seeing the bigger point. And that point is that the ONLY way to stop the practice of soring is to stop the stacked chained and weighted foot gait. If you get lost on that - see the above paragraph.

And I want to add that it has been shown that many of the current extreme shoeing (the low long toed angles or even the over done heel and length of foot) does contribute to breakdown of the foot and lower limb. The unnatural angle of foot strike is a part of the problem as well. It would not be much of a stretch to describe an acceptable trim and length of a show-able foot in the show circles. Several gaited associations already do this. Also, if they were to put em in the ring barefoot - mother nature would correct a long toed trim eventually. And again - the sored foot would well, be sore to tests.

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]

"...

I added the spaces to set off the statements made.
    So your contention is that removal of chains (I'll skip stacks for the moment) from the show ring would result only in low breaking horses; that it is only the chain + prior soring that results in the high front action, on a horse that has passed inspection, correct?
    The higher and powerful point to get here is knowing what causes a horse to lift and reach with a foot. Several things do - increasing speed, stepping over an obstacle, striking at another horse or maybe pulling a foot loose of something that has caught it or maybe a sore foot will be raised up. Now re-think what the purpose of the chain and you will see AVMA/AAEP and most good horsemen's point on this chain. .

Secondly it is your contention that a pad also produces (separate effect) a high breaking step of itself (without chains?) if a horse has experienced prior soring? Or does that not require prior soring to get a high step - but the pad itself solo is harmful to the horse?And now following my point above, the stack creates an obstacle to the flight of the foot and puts the horse in a never ending hill climb.

Thirdly you contend that the gait with high breaking motion in the TWH show ring is always due to prior soring and never humane training? The walking gait is not a high stepping gait. It is a slow low sweeping gait. Speed up a walking gait too much and the horse will eventually start to shorten to rack or lose timing and pace or canter. IOW It will cease to perform a walking gait.

Ergo, any horse displaying 'the gait' has to have been sored? Yes? Only if you missed all the blue comments above would you come to this conclusion.

And finally you contend that a barefoot horse sored (chemicals) without any appliance added never develops the high breaking gait? Again you have to understand what the walking gait is verses a racking gait. The racking gait can be very high stepping and natural. Not so the walking gaits. And to better understand the soring on the walking gait consider this: have you seen a foundered horse move? They walk on the back end. A sored barefoot horse would be standing and taking every step on its hinds. And these McConnell types, once they get the sored horse to stand will climb up on the horse and get it to move. You saw their methods and you can I am sure get a picture of what a sored horse looks like when it is sored.

-This would be the reasoning behind outlawing weight or pad to end chemical soring in reverse as a futile exercise.

Have I understood your viewpoint? Only if you read and understand the blue.

This is also from Tennesse State law
    "39-14-209 Horse shows.
    (a) It is the duty of any person designated and acting as a ringmaster of any horse show or similar event to disqualify any horse determined by the ringmaster to be suffering from the causes set out in s 39-14-202(a)(5) from further participation in such show, and to make a report of the same, including the name of the horse, the owner of the horse, and the exhibitor of the horse, to the manager or chairman of the show, who in turn shall report the same in writing to the district attorney general of the county wherein the incident occurred for appropriate action.

(b) A violation of this duty is a Class C misdemeanor. "

So how is that working out for the State?
    Have ANY reports been made? Are they simply disregarded?
    Are there no ringmasters?

Stricter? laws with continuing lax enforcement is not going to change anything -except allow the future opportunity to amend those breed-narrow laws to include all breeds and disciplines in future in unmerited over-regulation.
    On those grounds alone I would oppose the amendment.

Soring is already recognizable, illegal and punishable.
    Lacking more funding, how effective will any amendment be?
    You do realize money raising efforts springboarding off the videos and the trial have gone to the coffers of 'lets change the (wording of the) law' not to 'lets (make it mandatory to) enforce the law', yes? I think this law above is a very recent addition to Tennessee. Current news is enforcement is commin on this. The McConnell's are soon to be in state court on this.
    My comments in blue. Good discussion D_Baldstockings.

I really don't believe how this piece of meat has been chewed for 135 pages. Nothing new, nothing different, no minds changed even a little bit.

I've had a full TWH (he wasn't a pacer).
    Have a TWH mom gaited mule (he also doesn't pace)
    Had a Saddlebred mare (nope, no pacing)
    Owend a Standardbred cross mare...did she ever pace.

None of my horses ever were sored or wore weighted shoes. All were natural movers and gaited.

If my mule has a natural running walk he got from his horse mom, I sure expect it from a pure bred naturally.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Several Walking Horse Owners To Be Investigated

As it should be that they (The Owners) should be held accountable to what happened and happens to their horses I believe. Yes! take those horses out of their care and ownership, people who pay that kind of money for training and showing are well aware of what is going on with their horses. and should have to forfeit the privileged to owning horses they send to be tortured, in my opinion.

What do you think?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-soring/?local

http://chattanoogan.com/2012/9/25/23...-And-Jeff.aspx

Roy Exum: ‘Massa Jackie’ And Jeff
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - by Roy Exum

I’d never been in a federal courtroom until this time last week when I wanted to “feel” Jackie McConnell become a felon after over 30 years of systematic and relentless horse abuse. Also watching and seated on the row in front of me was a great horseman -- Nathanael Jackson – who I deeply respect for three reasons.

A wonderful character with keen insight, Nathanael was a combat medic for two tours back in the heat of Viet Nam and saved a lot of American lives in the midst of battlefield firefights. Because he abhors pain and misery, he is also a wonderful advocate of the Tennessee Walking Horse. He has been fearlessly working for years to end the way some of these magnificent horses are cruelly tortured and abused so he’s a saint in that regard as well.

But what you need to know most is that the delightful Nathanael is a black man, or “brother” as you’ll soon see. I was very moved when I saw another defendant sentenced last week, the pitiful Jeff Dockery, who is also black. I’d bet my life that Jeff, gaunt and haggard, has been sorely abused during his lifetime and watching Jeff take a fall on orders from McConnell was almost as revolting to me as the infamous video tape that revealed to the entire world that Jackie McConnell is very much a sadistic criminal.

McConnell will answer state charges for the tape today in a West Tennessee courtroom (Fayette County Courthouse, Collierville) which is just and good, but so will Jeff Dockery, among others, and therein lies the rub. You see, Nathanael Jackson is every bit as certain as I am that Jeff had no choice in the doing Jackie’s heinous biding.

There is a great magazine called “Chronicle of the Horse” and sometime last week my black Viet Nam hero (Nathanael) wrote a blog about the black stable hand, Jeff Dockery. There is no way my eyes could see what Nathanael’s saw so what follows is Mr. Jackson’s narrative with slight editing:

From the Blog of Nathanael Jackson:

For those who watched the videos, there was a “brother,” Jeff Dockery on the tape, his famous appearance was him sitting in a chair with a baseball cap on saying “I ain’t going to jail for no Jackie!”

I watched this man, and talked to him after his sentence, and as a black man I must tell you what I know. First, I did not create this scenario, nor did I have any knowledge or involvement with the way things played out here, but I can bear witness to what I know as a black man who went through the Civil Rights era.

Jeffrey Dockery, 52 years old, is a dark, life-worn man about 5’5", his face is well worn with hard labor and little medical care. He has next to no teeth in his mouth, is very soft spoken and obviously very subservient in the presence of white people.

He was attended to by his black attorney, an elderly mother-looking woman and a brother. Other than myself, we were the only people-of-color in that court that I could see. He was the first to be called into the court well. Jeffery had his Sunday best on, a pair of clean, but worn jeans, shirt, humble shoes.

Immediately my heart started to race, as I had a real-time premonition that I “knew” this man! Just as quickly I realized he was the very presence of many men I have known in my life from childhood. Men, I sat at their sides and listened to their stories and testimonies of growing up in the South as a black man, their families, the experiences both bad and sad to belly laughs.

I could tell Jeff was not an educated man, just guessing he may have had a few years if any in elementary school. The lady, with a well-worn blue summer dress showed years of hard labor, raising probably a large family just eking by. I thought of my Mama Becky and the videotape interview she gave me of her life not long before she passed on to Glory. (I must go dig that out and watch it, I haven’t seen it since I made it.)

A myriad of emotions, images, smells, sounds bounced in and out of my head as I tried to pay attention to the proceedings, some made me want to smile and some cry.

Jeff stated he had worked for Jackie McConnell for over 30 non-stop years. Meaning he was 24 when he became a stable groom, for those who are not familiar with the industry, that would be the person that handles the horses, with cleaning them, grooming, feeding, exercising, and cleaning their stalls, very hard manual labor, and at all times dangerous as you are working with a horse over 1,000 pounds. Many a groom has been hurt by horses. I’m pretty confident some may have been lamed for life or even died.

On the video you will see (Jeff) several times handling horses from dragging them out of the stall to holding them while they were being sored, or stewarded. After 30 years, Jeff did not look like he has been on any medical plans, and definitely no dental plan or care. I wondered how many teeth he had before he went to work for Jackie.

I hated to see what Jeff did, but I could not help think of the pressure to do what they were told to do or be fired. I felt for the brother. Now here is ol’ “Massa Jackie,” always telling Jeff how lucky he was to be working for him and how much he liked him and took care of him and his family. The court records said Jackie had assets in excess of $2.2 million dollars.

In 2006 Jackie got busted big time for soring and was sentenced by the USDA to 5 years’ federal probation, meaning:

* -- He cannot train or handle anybody’s horse except his own.

* -- He could not transport any horses anywhere,

* -- He could not assist in the training or handling of any horse,

* -- And, if he went to a show he could only sit in the bleachers as a spectator.

NOTE: This was to last for 5 years unsupervised, unmonitored.

So what does this man do? He takes his trusty ol’ stable groom of 30 years -- good ol’ boy Jeff -- and now makes him a trainer (on paper). Jackie pays the $250.00 trainer’s license fee, vouches for (Jeff) as character and personal reference.

THEN! He continues training horses, loads them up on a trailer and transports them using the other defendant Joseph Abernathy, who is a white horse-shoer by trade, he’s probably a few more grades educated than Jeff, has him transport horses that he (Abernathy) knows are sore and takes them to the horse shows for Jackie.

Then he has them enter the horses under Jeff’s name as trainer and then sits back and watches them perform, no loss of revenue from the customers and everybody is happy. Do I really need to go into the injustices here? Can you draw your own conclusion without my help? Now both these boys stand before the court -- their lives changed forever.

I hope the word gets out to the other brothers out there under similar situations, but then what do they do for income to support their families? They use a lot of Mexicans too, but as shameful as it is for me to say it, it is true, they pack light, and are gone, gone, gone, before someone could hang up a phone.

This part is hard for me to say, but it was important that these two boys got busted with Jackie, important for the cause, for the message is this:

From the lowliest stable groom, hardest-working horse shoer to a Hall of Fame Big Trainer -- black and white -- you all need to beware. We know now how to stack you up, how to gut your whole operation and, in the state of Tennessee, make you a felon and put you in jail.

I know there’s a brother in there named “Skillet” who is dying to meet cha!”

royexum@aol.com
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post

As it should be that they (The Owners) should be held accountable to what happened and happens to their horses I believe. Yes! take those horses out of their care and ownership, people who pay that kind of money for training and showing are well aware of what is going on with their horses. and should have to forfeit the privileged to owning horses they send to be tortured, in my opinion.

What do you think?

Mornin - I so agree that following the money will cause a lot of owners to get another hobby or switch to a trainer who does not specialize in Big Lick.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Yes. And for the record, you would have to be blind to say there was nothing new here. Changing a mind is not the point. Righting a wrong is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post

What do you think?

Owners and farriers.

Here is a little blurb about owners being investigated.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19...YR_RI.facebook