The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 122 of 315 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 6295

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    http://chattanoogan.com/2012/9/10/23...ld-And-Us.aspx

Roy Exum: Horses, The World And Us
    Monday, September 10, 2012 - by Roy Exum

On Tuesday of next week the eyes of the international horse world, from Australia to Belgium to the Middle East itself, will focus sharply on Chattanooga where the loudest Federal Court sentencing since Jimmy Hoffa was once skewered by Bobby Kennedy in 1964 will be handed down by Federal Judge Sandy Mattice.

Back when Teamster boss Hoffa was brought down by prosecutor James Neal and soon found guilty of trying to bribe a grand juror, the sensational trial had all the trappings of Hollywood sleaze -- a sinister criminal element, high-level corruption and more G-men in town that you could count. Hoffa got eight years but when Jackie McConnell faces Judge Mattice next week after already pleading guilty to violating the federal Horse Protection Act, it is believed the sadistic horse trainer and serial abuser will walk away with just probation. All around the world, millions of people are incensed.

Ironically, there has been more interest in McConnell’s trial than there was in Hoffa because horsemen and horsewomen all over the globe have now seen the hideous videotape that has been aired repeatedly on television and YouTube of the Collierville, Tn., trainer savagely abusing Tennessee Walking Horses. Who owns that horse? they scream.

The international horse community does not understand it at all and, after I have received countless emails from those as far away as Tasmania, horse lovers around the world don’t understand Tennesseans either. What tribe of people intentionally hurt and abuse their horses? They don’t do it in Afghanistan, Libya or Morocco but are led to believe that in Tennessee this is part of life.

In the Middle East they believe “the wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears” and Sir Winston Churchill once observed, “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” Abraham Lincoln claimed, “I can make a General in five minutes but a good horse is hard to replace,” and then there is the Bedouin legend: “Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!”

So the cry comes and it is loud; why do people in Tennessee hurt their horses? Around the world, a horse is the most sacred of all animals. A cow or a pig or a donkey is mere livestock, a cat or a dog just a pet. But a horse has been man’s most prized companion for centuries and, just now, as a small but potent cancer called the “Big Lick” is actually threatening the entire Tennessee Walking Horse breed, I can tell you that every international equine authority and publication is watching McConnell’s Chattanooga appearance in the same way they might regard a poisonous and hissing snake.

Jackie McConnell is a Big Lick villain. Oh, there are others still enmeshed in the twisted Shelbyville hierarchy who are just as bad but, as McConnell’s 30 years of abuse have come to light, international horse groups are gasping why Tennesseans have done nothing to curb a wide pattern of constant and continued abuse. And when they heard that Jackie and his wife just sponsored a victory trophy at the Tennessee Walking Horse World Celebration just two weeks ago, the hypocrisy and loathing for the Big Lick hierarchy ramped up to its highest point of the summer.

It has been brought out often that the breed is among the most noble of all American horses, and that 97 percent of the owners and riders would never harm an animal, but the bloodlust segment of the industry continues to ruin the Walker’s image badly. Longtime riders in Texas, California, Alaska, Minnesota and other states now cringe at the sight of padded hooves, chains, straps and other action devices and two leading equine veterinarian groups are calling for such equipment to be outlawed.

The “Big Lick” faction, in an effort to openly defy USDA and Humane Society inspectors, tactfully hired an “inside veterinarian” from Kentucky’s once-respected Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital to counter soring claims and it has since turned into a public relations disaster. It seems the vet, Dr. Scott Hooper, has previous ties with his Shelbyville employers and both the doctor and the hospital are now being publicly discredited for their questionable involvement.

People in England and France can’t understand that. The Tennessee legislature made horse abuse a felony during the summer but the Big Lickers have fought back, seeking blatant favoritism with those like Congressman Scott Desjarlais (R-Jasper) by hosting a money-raising reception for the politician during the Celebration. A number of horses were disqualified at the Celebration but the county sheriff did not make a single arrest and a spokesperson explained it away, saying “that’s a federal thing.”

Around the world those who love the horse just don’t get it. Nowhere on any other continent, from darkest Africa to the expert horsemen in Outer Mongolia, would any tribe hurt its horses except those in Tennessee. They can hardly wait to watch what we do about it next week.

royexum@aol.com
    As the radio DJ would say: Good morning, Vietnam!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Hmmm, so the good Dr. H is being called out in print, in a newspaper. Would love the know what his defenders here, the ones screaming to sue the OP of a thread questioning the R and R doctors' veiled defense of the Celebration event have to say now.

What can they say? why did Exum use the word employer,when it was stated by R/R that they did not work for the Celebration,does this mean that the WINNER of the WGC hired the Dr.H. what is the truth?

How can the TWH industry continue the Big Lick Classes when the WORLD fines it so appalling,not just a handful of huggers but the World people.

Tennessee needs to wake -up,its not just [B]WE THE PEOPLE any more its WE THE WORLD.

it seems that DR.H is the VET,for this yrs WGC. really. its on coth the R/R thread.

so ya can bet the good Dr. was paid to be at the Celebration.

so this places the KY,VET service in the Dirty Soup.

unreal.

The whole world is watching. Here is an article from New Zealand.

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/09/09/pe...9#.UE3s1K50mG1

and

http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/09/09/gr...9#.UE3uBa50mG1
    Last edited by WalkInTheWoods; Sep. 10, 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added link
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    it seems that DR.H is the VET,for this yrs WGC. really. its on coth the R/R thread.

so ya can bet the good Dr. was paid to be at the Celebration.

so this places the KY,VET service in the Dirty Soup.

unreal.
    He is http://www.tennessean.com/VideoNetwo...Horse-champion

someone give me alittle help, somewhere i read that the local Sheriff(Bedford county) said they could not arrest Chad Way @ the Celebration because it is a Federal matter.

someone give me alittle help, somewhere i read that the local Sheriff(Bedford county) said they could not arrest Chad Way @ the Celebration because it is a Federal matter.
    I read where the Sheriff said it was "a federal thing." Don't remember where I saw it now, will try to find it.

Ruh Roh i am hearing thru the grapevine that Dr H is or has been the vet for Ironworks Tin Man - the crippled horse at Celebration trained by Chad Way.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

HPA enforcement is a Federal matter and State officials would not be involved.

Under State law the DA would have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, who applied soring chemicals, abusive devices, etc. This is a serious problem.

Under Federal law the "who" that might have applied the abusive substances is irrelevant. The "who" that presents the sored horse has committed a violation. That is much easier to prove.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Hold on to your underpants,i READ the same thing,the Good ole Dr.from R/R was Chad Way's Vet.

So now comes another question was Dr.H there (at the Celebration) by invite of the TWSHO,or by the WGC winner,or now Chad WAY.

there are alot of good ole Boys with dirt on their faces,and on there hands.

Who paid the vet for what.

this sure is a mess.but somebody knows and they will talk,sooner or later.

Here is the USDA suspension report for the year 2011.

http://acissearch.aphis.usda.gov/HPA...1-2011&hio=ALL

I assume suspension did not automatically translate to fines?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

How is the vet guilty of anything but being a vet?

Are some of you suggesting the vet is in cahoots with Chad's soring of that horse?

Every discipline, even 'yours', whomever you are, has dirty players in dirty barns. Those players employ vets. That doesn't transfer guilt from dirty player to vet.

Do all of you know where your vet spent the day last Tuesday?

We are just connecting dots, nothing more. No accusations just questions.

MY vet and its service,will not go to a BIG LICK barns,unless its an Emergency like colic ect. I ASKED her,she does not condone the use of Stacks nor does She condone SORING.

Do You HAVE to SHOUT to be HEARD? I just asked a question.

I just came across this article and found it to be interesting. It seems that back in 2006 they took the 2000 WGC padded horse Cash for keeps and brought him back showing him in the light shod pleasure division. As you can see from the pics in the article he was still doing a bunch without pads or chains and just a light shoe. I've often wondered what would happen if someone tried this and now I've found the answer.

http://www.twhbea.com/voice/features/cashforkeeps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by The Gringo View Post
    I just came across this article and found it to be interesting. It seems that back in 2006 they took the 2000 WGC padded horse Cash for keeps and brought him back showing him in the light shod pleasure division. As you can see from the pics in the article he was still doing a bunch without pads or chains and just a light shoe. I've often wondered what would happen if someone tried this and now I've found the answer.

Oh yeah, Cash is awesome!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by The Gringo View Post

Gringo - That foot in the "light" shod (which is actually heavy - right?) is faaaaaar preferable to the stacked one. If you will please also note the exaggeration of the foot is a more "real" exaggeration. And my guess is the horse was mucho more comfortable in that configuration than the stacked configuration. I bet his movement was much more fluid and not the heave-ho that is usually shown by the stackers. And I bet he could also go a lap or two without a long breather on the change on gait.

Now it would be nice if the stacked crowed could also see that this horse is much more exciting and acceptable to the entire horse world in that heavy shoe and no chain than in the gawd awful stack and chain.

Having said all that, what I personally would really enjoy is seeing him truly flat shod with a balanced foot and a keg shoe.

THAT would be over the top exciting!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    How is the vet guilty of anything but being a vet?
    erm... Rood and Riddle did a little back peddle regarding his presence. IMO he was out of line when he publicly disagreed with USDA at that show - specially since Rood and Riddle are subsequently trying to give the impression they are for changes in the TWH arena.

Not for nothing, when the trainer disclosed on tape it was a pastern injury the Dr worked on - well - it peaked my curiosity. What surgery was done and why? I know how sensitive the TWH show folks are about front pastern scars etc. (Might be a hind pastern??) Seemed uncomfortable that the pastern was mentioned in the interview.

But then again I have no reason what so ever to feel good about the man being interviewed about his WGC Stacked horse.