The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 315 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Question: What about those horse shows which are AA rated, USEF sanctioned, and feature TWH "Big Lick" classes too?

I am thinking specifically of the Germantown Charity Horse Show in Germantown (Memphis), Tenn.

It's AA rated for hunters/jumpers/eq/breeding and features a $25,000 Grand Prix.

They also have TWH classes at night in the Grand Prix ring. The TWH horses ARE stabled on-site in the same barns as the h/j horses, btw.

See: http://www.gchs.org/

Although USEF doesn't govern TWH, can/should a USEF steward there for the show cite TWH practices that are abusive? Doesn't the USEF steward have a moral, ethical, and contractual obligation to oversee the entirety of the show in that regard? Given that the SHOW is AA rated, although they have no standing in the judging/evaluation/regulations of the TWH CLASSES, don't have they standing in the practices behind the scenes?

[Oh, and can the h/j folks PLEASE pressure the Show to restrict/monitor/do something about the Big Lick horses? I am not saying TWH carte blanche, but the abusive practices]

Thanks all for supporting and educating us all about the bigger picture

btw i added the Champagne Watchout 1999 Celebrationi story to post 147

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhSP6muJwLk

Quote Originally Posted by Babcock View Post
    Question: What about those horse shows which are AA rated, USEF sanctioned, and feature TWH "Big Lick" classes too?

I am thinking specifically of the Germantown Charity Horse Show in Germantown (Memphis), Tenn.

It's AA rated for hunters/jumpers/eq/breeding and features a $25,000 Grand Prix.

They also have TWH classes at night in the Grand Prix ring. The TWH horses ARE stabled on-site in the same barns as the h/j horses, btw.

See: http://www.gchs.org/
    Pretty interesting that of all the breed divisions listed on their page, the TWH page is the only one to state:

[FONT=Tahoma]PERSONS ON FEDERAL DISQUALIFICATION CANNOT TRANSPORT HORSES TO THIS SHOW AND CAN PARTICIPATE ONLY AS A SPECTATOR
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]Like it's a given that people on suspension will be involved. Sad.[/FONT]
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Good Mornin Everyone;

First I apologize for not recognizing the heroic efforts of WalkInTheWoods and the stand she has made to be the voice of the horse speaking to humans,

More than me thanking you~~~ are the horses..

Stay focus and stop shootin the messenger

These horses do not care who is advocating for them, they welcome ANY and ALL help..

In the last two days over 100 horses have been removed from training barns in and around Shelbyville, TN...do ya hear that?..that means they go home, get cleaned up, rested and a chance to do some well deserved healing.

Pepsi Cola, Ford Motor Company, CNN, Yahoo News, AAEP, Several different local newspapers and News TV ~~just some of who have responded to emails and calls from thousands of people from round the world..and its just getting started

YOU CAN AND DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

I just sent them an e-mail asking if they allow Big Lick horses at their show, and if so, why. I also commented on the inherent abusiveness of soring and padding, and asked them to please disallow any Big Lick competitors at their show.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    There will be interesting challenges to these laws when true journos or filmmakers engage in undercover investigative reporting.
    An update on the Missouri legislation: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0...ses-on-ag-gag/
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post
    Good Mornin Everyone;

First I apologize for not recognizing the heroic efforts of WalkInTheWoods and the stand she has made to be the voice of the horse speaking to humans,

More than me thanking you~~~ are the horses..

Stay focus and stop shootin the messenger

These horses do not care who is advocating for them, they welcome ANY and ALL help..

In the last two days over 100 horses have been removed from training barns in and around Shelbyville, TN...do ya hear that?..that means they go home, get cleaned up, rested and a chance to do some well deserved healing.

Pepsi Cola, Ford Motor Company, CNN, Yahoo News, AAEP, Several different local newspapers and News TV ~~just some of who have responded to emails and calls from thousands of people from round the world..and its just getting started

YOU CAN AND DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!
    Thank me ? Im sitting up here all safe in Michigan with my trail horse who has never shown. How about YOU down in BigLickville being the hero ? Thank you Nathaniel. I am glad you took your stand in 1999 at the Celebration with Champagne Watchout. You started this movement.

eta- 100 horses being pulled out of training barns made me cry - it is happening!
    Last edited by WalkInTheWoods; May. 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added eta

Agree with WalkInTheWoods 100%. Nathaniel, I cannot imagine how gratifying this must be for you as you've been in the trenches fighting this fight for well over a decade. You deserve a big thank you from all of us with sound TWHs and our horses. I'd also like to add that I have a granddaughter of Champagne Watchout and she is one of the loveliest, most gentle and smooth-gaited Walkers I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Agree with WalkInTheWoods 100%. Nathaniel, I cannot imagine how gratifying this must be for you as you've been in the trenches fighting this fight for well over a decade. You deserve a big thank you from all of us with sound TWHs and our horses. I'd also like to add that I have a granddaughter of Champagne Watchout and she is one of the loveliest, most gentle and smooth-gaited Walkers I've ever had the pleasure of owning.
    show off ! j/k lucky you !

This March 2012 article appeared on my Facebook feed this morning. It identifies the horse down in the stall in the HSUS video as "Sweet-N-Loco."

http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1822982.html

I did a Google search for "Sweet-N-Loco" and found these show results dated 8/25/2011 for her from the Tennessee Walker Horse Breeders & Exhibitors Association.

Class 5:
    (6) SWEET’N LOCO, owned by Beverly Sherman, Dallas, TX

I wonder if the owner of this horse knew how her horse was being treated? What became of this mare?

MTA: Article on Beverly Sherman. Longtime horse owner and client of McConnell's...

Here is the complaint

Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 20, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: .

Awesome!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    show off ! j/k lucky you !
    I'm telling ya what, she's one of the nicest horses I've owned. Good solid mare, great feet, very easy on the eyes. Never gets that mare-itude, always ready to work and willing to please, never spooks, never says no and as gentle as the day is long. Overall just a really nice horse and gorgeous to boot. The kind that doesn't come along often and you keep for life. Fell in love with her the day I saw her and it took a year to convince her owner to sell her. Former owner's wife nearly skinned him alive when she found out he sold that horse.

Anybody see this one?

http://www.waaytv.com/news/content/n...9zlLPFYBQ.cspx

The comments got me - apparently one of the guys they interviewed saying abuse is rare has some violations himself? oy.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    This March 2012 article appeared on my Facebook feed this morning. It identifies the horse down in the stall in the HSUS video as "Sweet-N-Loco."

http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/1822982.html

I did a Google search for "Sweet-N-Loco" and found these show results dated 8/25/2011 for her from the Tennessee Walker Horse Breeders & Exhibitors Association.

Class 5:
    (6) SWEET’N LOCO, owned by Beverly Sherman, Dallas, TX

I wonder if the owner of this horse knew how her horse was being treated? What became of this mare?

MTA: Article on Beverly Sherman. Longtime horse owner and client of McConnell's...

Here is the complaint
    A quote from the article: "HSUS also assisted authorities with the removal of horses from McConnell's training operation after the arrest last week. "

So the horses were seized? Anyone have any information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Anybody see this one?

http://www.waaytv.com/news/content/n...9zlLPFYBQ.cspx

The comments got me - apparently one of the guys they interviewed saying abuse is rare has some violations himself? oy.
    That's pretty common. Usually the ones squawking the loudest about how soring isn't the norm in BL are the ones perpetrating it in their own barns.

I'm going home tonight and hugging my sweet TWH's. They are very lucky. One that I have is the half brother to Jose-Jose, who was the highest selling TWH sold so far. He has an AWESOME gait and a great temperment. Best trail horse you could want. Someone else could have bought him and he could have ended up in a show barn rather than with me as a trail horse.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 20, 2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: .

Today's Tennessean newspaper had the story. As expected, industry spokespeople and veterinarians called the practice "deplorable." My question is: have there been any trainers that say that they DON'T sore, but their horses win classes when competing against sored horses?

A lot of us suspect that the only sore horses win, but I've never heard otherwise from a reliable source. A friend of mine quit showing walkers years ago because she said her non-sore horse would always place lower than a sored horse given the judging standards.

Another question: if the HPA is a federal statute which prohibits the transportation and showing of sore horses, is there some way it can be ammended to allow seizure of trucks and trailers used for that purrpose? That would be a major expense and/or inconvenience for anyone who got busted, and would probably make commercial shippers avoid TWH shows.

It's great to hear that horses have left training barns in Shelbyville. I posted a thank you on Pepsi's facebook page, as did many other people. Going forward, I'd like to see a billboard somewhere near the Celebration grounds in Shelbyville with a picture from the video, and the caption, "Why do they call it a Celebration?"
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I wonder if the 100 taken out of training were the McConnell horses. His barn is empty. Where did the horses go ?