The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 113 of 314 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 6274

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I found it interesting that Barney Davis said that even the flat walkers are sored.
    They are Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I found it interesting that Barney Davis said that even the flat walkers are sored.
    He was a Spotted Saddle Horse trainer, they don't show in the Big Lick/Performance division.

It's a fact that many trainers who get too many suspensions in the Big Lick TWH world switch to the flat shod/plantation classes or get into the SSH world.

Getting rid of the Big Lick won't stop soring or pressure shoeing entirely, but it's a start.
    ~ Shannon ~
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.” ― Anna Sewell, Black Beauty

yes- this focus on the BL horses overlooks the fact that SSHs, for example, don't even HAVE padded classes. The ONLY horse I've personally witnessed as sored was a SSH at the SSHBEA Celebration in 2000, I think it was. Not a padded horse anywhere. And a 2 YO cooked to bits.

If you actually think that banning padded horses fixes the issue, you are sorely mistaken. Pun intended. It's a great start. But it is NOT the end all and be all of everything about fixing (pun intended, inside joke) the mess that is TWHs.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    yes- this focus on the BL horses overlooks the fact that SSHs, for example, don't even HAVE padded classes. The ONLY horse I've personally witnessed as sored was a SSH at the SSHBEA Celebration in 2000, I think it was. Not a padded horse anywhere. And a 2 YO cooked to bits.

If you actually think that banning padded horses fixes the issue, you are sorely mistaken. Pun intended. It's a great start. But it is NOT the end all and be all of everything about fixing (pun intended, inside joke) the mess that is TWHs.
    Well said.

I was at a PWHAT trail ride several years ago when a Name showed up with his wife and the wife was riding a sored horse. It was bad enough that they never started the ride, just showed up to be seen (I guess).

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

The end of abuse to the GAITED Horse abuse,had to start somewhere.

The abuse runs deep in the Tn Walking Horse groups as B.Davis said in his interview if you wanted to win ya had to sore.thats the way it is in TWH,SSH.
    he knew he trained both twh and ssh.and don't forget someone trained him.

the part of that interview that grabbed my gut the most,is when B.Davis said at the show /celebration you could buy the 2 shots,from the Show VETS.
    this said to me that THOSE DVMs knew of the abuse.Does this make them part of the problem? Why 2 shots?

B.Davis at 38 has told very disturbing things about the SSH TWH industry,what in this world will J.McConnell tell at age 60?

Chad Way earned a two year suspension last night for presenting Tin Man so sored he couldn't walk. Moron.

And meanwhile a horse (that I think is not sored) did a phenomenal job in the 4 YO class. He's padded. But he's sound. I think. He sure looked good to me.

Chad Way earned a two year suspension last night for presenting Tin Man so sored he couldn't walk. Moron.

And meanwhile a horse (that I think is not sored) did a phenomenal job in the 4 YO class. He's padded. But he's sound. I think. He sure looked good to me.
    Good as in you liked the way he moved?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

QUESTIONunder the new Tn Law will this Chad Way be charged with animal ABUSE or will the loop hole about in training apply.

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    QUESTIONunder the new Tn Law will this Chad Way be charged with animal ABUSE or will the loop hole about in training apply.
    Why don't you write a "practice affidavit" that would support a charge under the new law? They are not difficult, but you must allege facts that meet each element of the statute.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Exclamation

Katherine,
    It is so nice to hear that someone on this board can actually tell that a padded horse can be sound. Most people on here say to a person that has a padded horse...that they can't do that Big Lick gait without it. I know that they CAN!
    One problem that is not mentioned on this thread is the pressure shoeing that is going on in the flat shod world....a much WORSE, painful thing that is done to many flatshod horses...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cordial View Post
    Katherine,
    It is so nice to hear that someone on this board can actually tell that a padded horse can be sound. Most people on here say to a person that has a padded horse...that they can't do that Big Lick gait without it. I know that they CAN!
    One problem that is not mentioned on this thread is the pressure shoeing that is going on in the flat shod world....a much WORSE, painful thing that is done to many flatshod horses...
    And by the way the horse that won the 4 year old class is a AMAZING athlete by the name of HONORS!! Yes, he is sound....

There will certainly be charges filed against Chad Way. Tin Man is such a sweet horse. (they are all sweet horses) Chad should have a country boy beating for doing that to any horse. I got first hand accounts from folks that were in the inspection area and they said it was so unbelievable ---the horse could not even walk!!! Wonder if they will charge the owners also. They should. And yes I am going to the show tonight. My understanding that there will be protesters also-------should be interesting.

Yes, I like Honors.

This is him from earlier this year.

http://youtu.be/5Otu543Bnw0

I don't 'like' padded horses but I think this one is sound, is not sored, and has not been abused.

Again, the only horse I've personally seen sored was a lite shod SSH. No pads anywhere on the grounds. Just a very cooked baby horse. They do not have to be padded to be abused.

so yes, I'm fine with Honors. He's a nice horse. I wonder what he'd look like w/o all that crap on his feet

Honors is not showing tonight. boo.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    There will certainly be charges filed against Chad Way. Tin Man is such a sweet horse. (they are all sweet horses) Chad should have a country boy beating for doing that to any horse. I got first hand accounts from folks that were in the inspection area and they said it was so unbelievable ---the horse could not even walk!!! Wonder if they will charge the owners also. They should. And yes I am going to the show tonight. My understanding that there will be protesters also-------should be interesting.
    Please post what happens. Thanks.

should be interesting is right.

sure hope everyone will keep a cool head.

Well... the Honors video is nothing to shine about - he is a stacked horse.

Cordial - what Honors is doing is purely because of the stacks and chain. He will not do that without them. No horse will.

And the soring happens with any gaited horse. No news there. Soring produces the same movement of Honors in the video.

It is a horror.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

No one is insisting you like anything or shine about anything.

I think he's a nice horse and an example of what a sound padded horse looks like.

I've seen what soring does to a Lite Shod horse. Are we going to do away with Lite Shod horses next?

all the abuse of the gaited breeds need to be done away with.owners should be held accountable for what the Trainer (they hired) is doing to their HORSE.

i would like to see that horse walk with out the stacks.NO doubt he would be beautiful. i do not like the BL,i don't like the goose neck way of riding them. it all looks of balance.

Katarine - The stacks are waaaaay too much.

And in general and to no one in particular I want to say again - just like soring, stacks make the horse labor and crawl. Stacking is the worst of horsemanship. A horse does not do this "naturally" as cordial feels. Pull his stacks and stick him in the field and see - he just is not going to squat and do the crawl.

So yes we need limits as in USDA/APHIS/HPA law just as the vets have suggested the USEF guidelines should be adopted.

Cause when the objective is to get the high waving leg and there are no limits ... well, the stacked, chained and/or sored gaited horse is what we get. What people have realized is the TWH just need to do away with all this unnecessary stuff. Just like Katarine said above - she "thinks" he is unsored cause Jackie McConnell made it painfully clear: THEY CAN NOT TELL A HORSE TRAINED BY SORING FROM A SOUND STACKED HORSE. Period end of story - Jackie had/has a WGC with his methods.

Simply put and IMO IF they reduce the pads (one inch is a-plenty), max a shoe out at a pound (no band) and let them have a friggin toe weight (so they get the big swing they want) and lose the friggin chain.... they will get a gait that is more achievable through humane(unstacked) means.

ANd they might have a WGC class where they do not have to rest on the rail and can actually canter a full friggin lap.

They also by golly need some serious limits on those honking shanks and spurs.

The stacked TWH have simply gone too far and have gotten waaaay too nasty. The stack is just insane.

But - IF the TWH observe and adopt some simple shoeing/action device limits, they will not have to worry with "scar rules" or wrapping and greasing legs etc etc etc. Saddlebreds (what the TWH went chasing after way back when) n.e.v.e.r. have had the scaring problems the TWH folks have. And since they use chains and stretchies and shackles and n.e.v.e.r. try to sore a horse - they never had the notion to keep them wrapped in a stall.

Cause you see all that wrapping and greasing the TWH do to "protect" their horses from getting pastern scar is most likely what is raising the hairs and scurfing the "sound" TWH pasterns. In fact, my first thoughts about the 16 yr old whose "sound" stacked horse was disqualified was that maybe a scurfing - not an intentional soring happened from the wrapping.

But hey - a scurfed horse IS sore. Slap a chain on that scurfed area ant the horse will be sore and tender.

SO yes - I am for limits in every arena. ANd I really hope and pray that this time it limits are forced down their friggin throats. Lord knows thay have had plenty of time to change from within and it just ain't happening!

Lose the stacks and chains and insane shoeing people! Easy Peasy - then you will not be soring your friggin horses and you can show to your hearts delight without bringing on the total disgust of the world as you do now. And you might be able to quit your whinning about all these DQP $$$'s your dropping and no one will care a whit what goes on in your fun fun ring.

Or maybe - just maybe - you will put out a real accomplishment with the TWH.

WHat they do now in that stacked ring is deplorable.