The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 103 of 315 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 6292

Yeah, if Roy there we would get the straight of it too. The Celebration will be crawling with media I'm sure, but no one like Roy!

I read somewhere that Roy will not be attending. Dont blame him. I could go if i made some arrangements, but i dont want to put money in the wrong pockets and i dont think i could behave myself during performance classes. It would be walk out or get thrown out i guess.

Still having a hard time with the slime having the gall to include performance classes this year. They are impervious to public opinion. Have you ever seen anything quite like it ?

I hope the good folks in Tennessee choose other activities to attend during "Celebration".
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    So it looks like it's Shelbyville Walking Horse vs. National Walking Horse. It will be interesting to see what the attendance numbers are at this year's "Celebration." A while back there was some discussion about concerned people attending and then just walking out for the Big Yuck/Sore Lick classes, but now it seems like the best course of action is to just not go.

Reminds me of the old hippie saying, "What if they gave a war, and nobody came?"

Well, it's been TWHBEA vs NWHA since NWHA's inception.

If you want to support a sound horse organization, not a perfect one, but one that doesn't have padded horses at all: Go to the NWHA National show in Oct in Ohio. If you're local, go to the NWHA show in Sept at the TN State Fair.

I don't blame him either. I definately would be thrown out, my mouth has a mind of its own. That there will be performance classes just shows how out of touch with reality the Celebration is, and no conscience, classic definition of psycopathic/sociopathic behavior. Hopefully they haven't come up with any new ways to avoid detection of soring, and the USDA is able to catch them. The world is watching.

The picture at the bottom is worth opening the link!

Roy Exum: It’s Not The Court’s Fault
    Monday, August 13, 2012 - by Roy Exum

Roy Exum
    When Jackie McConnell is sentenced in Federal Court next month, it will not be because he viciously and sadistically has harmed horses for over documented 30 years. No, McConnell pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy and transporting an injured horse across state lines. And contrary to popular belief, not one of the five persons who have pleaded guilty this year of violating the federal Horse Protection Act has been charged with actual animal abuse by the federal government.

If that is hard for you to understand, imagine how Federal Judge Sandy Mattice and lead prosecutor Steven Neff feel when fiery letters are written like those that appeared in Chattanoogan.

com last week. All three authors were right in their belief that Jackie McConnell will receive a much lighter sentence than he deserves – along with other criminals -- but neither Mattice nor Neff can veer from a prescribed set of laws that today govern our nation.

Oh, I’m quite sure it drives them crazy, especially since the famous McConnell tape that was seen by millions was released after McConnell copped a plea, but we must never forget that federal laws are made in Washington and one reason the federal Horse Protection Act has never been enforced until just this year (it became law in 1970) is because it clearly lacks the teeth to deter those who wantonly abuse and sore Tennessee Walking Horses.

One writer was critical of the fact that John Mayes, a barn worker for McConnell in Collierville, was released after four months and ordered to write a newspaper article on horse abuse. But, wait, Mayes was jailed on a parole violation – not animal abuse – and had served the mandated 2/3s of his six-month sentence. The newspaper idea was just Judge Mattice’s way of making sure Mayes realizes soring will not be tolerated.

In my way of thinking Jackie McConnell needs to be dealt with quite severely, but, by the laws that are molded in Washington, not one of the hundreds of people who have written Judge Mattice demanding a fat chunk of Jackie’s flesh is going to be satisfied with whatever manner the judge sentences McConnell on Sept. 10 because – let’s face it -- the judge clearly doesn’t have the might – nor the right – to make the time fit the crime. At least, not yet.

It isn’t Judge Mattice’s fault, or prosecutor’s Neff’s fault. No, pilgrim, it is our fault. The American people must demand stronger, tougher penalties for laws from the people who make them. That is what happened in Tennessee this spring and resulted in a law that makes livestock abuse a felony, punishable by one to five years in a state prison. That law became official on July 1, but the United States, as mighty as it well me be, doesn’t have a livestock law like that.

You are right -- pro football’s Michael Vick did 18 months at Leavenworth but that was because there are tougher federal laws for fighting dogs than there are for abusing horses. While you gasp over that one, be reminded our new state law against livestock abuse has a dandy loophole where it clearly states the law does not apply if the animal involved is being “trained.” Are you surprised?

Let me show you how that works. Right now the scurrilous side of the Tennessee Walking Horse industry is in a desperate fight with the U.S. Department of Agriculture over the way horses are inspected. The USDA has mandated that all inspections and penalties should be the same, but the “Big Lick” crowd now suspends a guilty trainer for just two weeks. As a result the USDA is in the process of decertifying The Celebration and David Howard is so keen to muscle out the government he is attacking by using certain lawmakers he has meticulously “nurtured.”

Last week in the Walking Horse Chat he had the audacity to write: “Just in the past two weeks, there have been meetings or phone conversations with nine Senators and Congressman soliciting their help to meet with the Secretary of Agriculture; there was a meeting with Undersecretary Avalos and Kevin Shea (Shea is Chester Gipson's boss) relative to problems with the USDA; there have been face to face meetings with the daily newspapers in Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga; while the USDA continues to make expensive and outrageous demands in the law suit, there is no backing up on the litigation. And those are just a few things we are involved with for the industry.”

Howard also wrote, “I work constantly for this industry and it is quite expensive in terms of time and money. I reserve the right to defend myself and correct misinformation on this site. What (Marty Irby) did with the domain names of the Celebration is disgraceful for the President of TWHBEA and his false attacks on the Celebration and me personally will not go unchallenged.”

So do you see how the “dark side” keeps the light from shining? The problem with the federal Horse Protection Act is that ever since it was written, people like David Howard have spent years to make sure it lacks the force that Sandy Mattice and Steven Neff need to deal with those who break it.

Conversely, Neff is the first federal prosecutor in history to get a conviction of the Horse Protection Act. Mattice is the first judge to ever dole out a sentence. These are the last guys who need to be slammed by the public. The answer? Horse advocates need to take the same path that the scallywags do – contact the same Congressmen and Senators and demand stronger, tougher laws.

While the anti-soring faction is at it, they should ask our state and federal lawmakers to heed the pleas of the two most prominent equine veterinarian groups and outlaws stacks and action devices on performance walking horses. That one is driving Howard and his followers crazy because if the “Big Lick” is finally cleaned up, some believe it could drive Howard out (of business.)

In a perfect world, there would be no animal abuse, just as there would be no child abuse, rape, murder and so forth that keeps the Federal Court so bogged down that animal rights are at the very bottom of the food chain. But don’t fault Judge Mattice or Steven Neff with that either. That’s our fault, too, and we need to strength the Attorney General’s office so they can better cope with those who do far worse than sore the Tennessee Walking Horses that continue to be cruelly and terribly maimed.

The right kind of "Big Lick"
    http://www.chattanoogan.com/photos/2...e.232106.2.jpg
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

NOW THATS THE ONLY BIG LICK,anyone should ever SEE.

some day SHELBYVILLE will have a concert,the billboard will read:

WE NO LONGER SUPPORT WALKING HORSE ABUSE

Thanks Hurley for posting. Still having problems with copying stuff at times, esp. if something I really want to copy. GGGRRR!!!

when you read and reread what Roy wrote Sunday,you begin to see how truly horrible these BIG LICKERS are. the strong arm attitude of the SHELBYVILLE SLIME is reminisce of the 1920s,when the GODFATHER'S hand never got DIRTY. but Howard, Mullins, Irby Iman and all of these men are as guilty as Jackie the JERK.

What exactly did Irby do to make Howard turn on him,he was part of the GANG/MOB.why must Howard challenge it. could Irby agree to some of the changes that the USDA want. God forbid.

If Howard can call and meet with Senators and congressmen why can't we at least call write make noise.let the HILL know that HOWARD dosen't have the last word,MY /OUR voice and tax dollars count too.

WRITE The American Horse Council,YOUR VOICE IS WORTH SOMETHING.

there is still a LIGHT shining for the Walking Horse we can and will stop this ABUSE.

Flood the SENATE OFFICES/UNDERSECRETARY AVALOS with STOP the PAIN of the TN WALKING HORSE put some teeth into the HPA LAW.

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    when you read and reread what Roy wrote Sunday,you begin to see how truly horrible these BIG LICKERS are. the strong arm attitude of the SHELBYVILLE SLIME is reminisce of the 1920s,when the GODFATHER'S hand never got DIRTY. but Howard, Mullins, Irby Iman and all of these men are as guilty as Jackie the JERK.

What exactly did Irby do to make Howard turn on him,he was part of the GANG/MOB.why must Howard challenge it. could Irby agree to some of the changes that the USDA want. God forbid.

If Howard can call and meet with Senators and congressmen why can't we at least call write make noise.let the HILL know that HOWARD dosen't have the last word,MY /OUR voice and tax dollars count too.

WRITE The American Horse Council,YOUR VOICE IS WORTH SOMETHING.

there is still a LIGHT shining for the Walking Horse we can and will stop this ABUSE.

Flood the SENATE OFFICES/UNDERSECRETARY AVALOS with STOP the PAIN of the TN WALKING HORSE put some teeth into the HPA LAW.
    http://www.horsecouncil.org/contact

thanks CFFarm
    my e-mail has been sent to the American Horse Council.

my letters sent to the HILL are on the way.

notes to the churches of Shelbyville about free tickets to watch the abuse of GOD's horses.Proverbs 12:10a

I'll not Stop until this practice is ENDED.

Great idea to contact the churches.

Take a look at this article. Slanted much ?

http://www.lexingtonprogress.com/edi...8-bc5bedbba545
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Darn, when I enlarge print for these old eyes, so blurry I can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post

LAUGHABLE!

But it is good news that they are "going away."

The picture of the stacked horse is sad. Just sad.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

the type was tiny but i think it read that SHOW inc was the HIO DQP,and the USDA showed up enforce (i gather meaning more than two) and the trainers did not like it,now if they are clean why worry,but if ya had a deal made with SHOW Inc, i SAID if,maybe you would need to worry.

that may have been a prep show for the celebration,those trainers had to make it there or stay home.

Wow. I can hardly believe that article exists. However, it's an eye-opener for those of us far away (physically) from the hub of the big-lick to understand how difficult the fight is. Using the term "traditional" for the padded horses tells me that many people involved see this as normal. Sad.

its true in the states that call themselves the states with southern charm,they turn a blind eye,because Southen Gentlemen with MONEY allow this ABUSE to continue and when
    someone trys to speak out they are put in place real quick,either by not getting to place at a SHOW because the KINDLY Southern GENT owns the judge. or other means

this is the way it is in the States of the South from way way back and they (the Southen Gents) are going to fight tooth and nail to KEEP it.that way.

i have been disrespected on this site,but i live in the Slow Stay the Same South.i have watched these Good OLe Boys work for yrs and yrs.the game has always been played (THEIR)way.

For the first time in HISTORY of the BL things are going to CHANGE.NO more horses screaming in pain,NO MORE ABUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    its true in the states that call themselves the states with southern charm,they turn a blind eye,because Southen Gentlemen with MONEY allow this ABUSE to continue and when
    someone trys to speak out they are put in place real quick,either by not getting to place at a SHOW because the KINDLY Southern GENT owns the judge. or other means

this is the way it is in the States of the South from way way back and they (the Southen Gents) are going to fight tooth and nail to KEEP it.that way.

i have been disrespected on this site,but i live in the Slow Stay the Same South.i have watched these Good OLe Boys work for yrs and yrs.the game has always been played (THEIR)way.

For the first time in HISTORY of the BL things are going to CHANGE.NO more horses screaming in pain,NO MORE ABUSE.
    So true. Many times it is hard for people who don't live down here to understand how skilled these people are at lying, they fall for the Southern charm. Southerners will be polite if they're about to cut your throat, that's learned at Mama's knee. Make no mistake, these people are evil to the core. I live here, I know. Frequently they sit on the Deacon's bench in church on Sunday morning. Well, God don't like ugly.

Ok, got it. Very slanted. Old Southern saying applies here, "Something in the milk ain't clean."