The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 315 of 315 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315
Results 6,281 to 6,299 of 6299

I really don't think that this should be taken up with our national government. Why not just put pressure on horse associations to clean up their act? Taxpayers can't afford to fund this. The nation is practically bankrupt.
    I'm just sayin', there's other options out there.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nenomit View Post
    I really don't think that this should be taken up with our national government. Why not just put pressure on horse associations to clean up their act? Taxpayers can't afford to fund this. The nation is practically bankrupt.
    This was the approach from about 1956 to 1968. It didn't work. There was a government push from '68 into the '90s with mixed results. There was a serious "privatization" of the process from the early '90s to about 2011. Again, the results were very mixed, but with advantage to the sorers. Then, with the recent tapes of substantial cruelty there has been a renewed push. The U.S. Attorney in Chattanooga got the first criminal conviction under the HPA. State authorities in some parts of TN have been more active. But the Sore Lick advocates are nothing if not tenacious.

Only governmental action, on the national level, is likely to have real, long term effects.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

5 members found this post helpful.

Or people just losing interest in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    I wonder how much "new blood" gets drawn in... I get the impression it's a pretty incestuous community.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I wonder how much "new blood" gets drawn in... I get the impression it's a pretty incestuous community.
    Why use such an ugly word?I fail to see anything incestuous about it. It is a close knit community, and families do get involved in it, the same as in any other sport.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

I think it sounds about right:

google definition of incestuous:
    (of human relations generally) excessively close and resistant to outside influence.
    "the incestuous nature of literary journalism"
    merrian-webster definition:
    excessively or improperly intimate or exclusive <mainstream fashion magazines have an incestuous relationship with advertisers — Guy Trebay>
    dictionary.com:
    being so close or intimate as to prevent proper functioning: an incestuous relationship between organized crime and government.

3 members found this post helpful.

Incestuous is the perfect word for it. In fact it seems all breed show circles are a very incestuous bunch, especially the TWH cousins.

I would agree with this - policing itself is up there with the fox in the henhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    This was the approach from about 1956 to 1968. It didn't work. There was a government push from '68 into the '90s with mixed results. There was a serious "privatization" of the process from the early '90s to about 2011. Again, the results were very mixed, but with advantage to the sorers. Then, with the recent tapes of substantial cruelty there has been a renewed push. The U.S. Attorney in Chattanooga got the first criminal conviction under the HPA. State authorities in some parts of TN have been more active. But the Sore Lick advocates are nothing if not tenacious.

Only governmental action, on the national level, is likely to have real, long term effects.

G.

Found this video apologies if it's been posted before. If shows the world champions from 1939 to 1974. It's sad to see how much the gait has been altered artificially over the years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZH3IbosI8

And here's footage from a TWH show in 1949 they even had a jumping class.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUECPpNxl9k
    "I am sorry, I lead a bit of a complex life, things don't always happen in the right order" The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Paks View Post
    Found this video apologies if it's been posted before. If shows the world champions from 1939 to 1974. It's sad to see how much the gait has been altered artificially over the years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZH3IbosI8

And here's footage from a TWH show in 1949 they even had a jumping class.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUECPpNxl9k

In the second video, they actually praised their horses with pats on the neck. That's something you don't see in today's videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    In the second video, they actually praised their horses with pats on the neck. That's something you don't see in today's videos.
    Why don't you see it in today's videos?

Quote Originally Posted by fburton View Post
    Why don't you see it in today's videos?
    I don't know for sure, I only have my observation of videos posted here. But, seems to me, anyone who sores a horse does not like the animal. Or doesn't care about its "feelings". I don't think these big lick folks are in it for the love of the animal--only for the money.

Or maybe the riders are so busy being hunched over and sitting so far back they can't let go to give the horse some praise.

Quote Originally Posted by nenomit View Post
    Taxpayers won't be funding this. The Congressional Budget Office has already released a report that this may actually generate funds from fines of those who refuse to stop soring horses. In case you are not aware, shows hire inspectors and pay them. That will remain the same under the bill except instead of the abusers hiring their friends and neighbors to inspect, they will hire someone that has been approved by the USDA to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Main stream America and other foreign countries have already lost interest in padded Tennessee Walking horses. Only a very small faction remains but they are tenacious as G said. Padded TWH's are but a very small percentage of the overall show group yet they have held the breed registry hostage for years. Their actions have impacted the entire breed and cast an ugly light on the horse that sound folks have been dealing with for years. The "sport" of abusing our breed needs to go but the horse needs to remain and flourish and get back to it's once great destiny.

They just won't stop, will they?

http://www.billygoboy.com/2014/07/21...ee-horse-show/

LARRY JOE WHEELON AND RANDALL STACY GUNTER, DEFENDANTS IN MARYVILLE CRIMINAL CASE, NOW CHARGED WITH JULY 12, 2014 HORSE SORING AT CHESTNUT HILL, TENNESSEE HORSE SHOW

MARYVILLE, TN – Larry Joe Wheelon and Randall Stacy Gunter, both Defendants in Blount County, Tennessee criminal case for aggravated cruelty to Tennessee Walking Horses, were suspended by Kentucky HIO on July 15, 2014, for alleged Horse Soring Violations. The HPA Violation citation “One Foot Unilateral Sore” alleged offense occurred at the East Tennessee Walking Horse Auxiliary Show in Chestnut Hill, Tennessee on July 12, 2014.

Informed sources say that Larry Joe Wheelon was the Trainer, and his assistant and Co-Defendant in the Blount County aggravated cruelty cases, Randall Stacy Gunter, led the horse up to be inspected. Informed sources say Sharon Lambdin owned the horse, and the name of the horse cited for being sore by the inspectors is allegedly “Shock It To Me”. It has not yet been determined who the Exhibitor riding the Horse was going to be. When and if that information is determined, it will be published here.

“Shock It To Me” is one of the 843 Horses found to be sore from 2007 – 2013 according to the USDA HPA Violation List. The USDA reports that 94% of all HPA violations occurred with horses wearing “Pads/Stacks” (10-15 lb each foot) and chains.

Larry Joe Wheelon is a former WHTA (Walking Horse Trainers Association) officer serving as Chairman of the Ethics Committee. His fellow WHTA officer David Landrum of Franklin, Tennesee is serving as 2nd VP of WHTA. Landrum was announced last week to Judge the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration beginning on August 20, 2014.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I stumbled upon this while looking at this website. I am quite appalled anyone would think this of Ms. Pulvers. I have lived in Oregon for the past 30 years and have seen Hannah grow up and develop into the wonderful trainer she is. Her and her assistant trainer put hours of hard work on those horses to get them to move the way they do. Her mother, Jana Anderson, is one of the directors of WHOA, which Hannah constantly is showing at. The caliber of her horses would be to big for FOSH and she has not had the best of experiences with NWHA. She brought 10 horses to the 2013 Nationals and ending up showing countless of times during that week. However, in one class in which she had a flawless ride she ended up getting a 6th place with her reigning trail pleasure WGC at the time. Personally if that was me I would not want to bring back any of my horses after an experience like that. I have had countless of horses personally in training with her from our trail to our show horses and she is as sound as they come. Anyone who talks to her can tell she loves every one of her horses. If you do not believe me I am sure Hannah would be more then welcomed to have you visit her facility.

We have a houseguest!!!!!
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMcgroven View Post
    I stumbled upon this while looking at this website. I am quite appalled anyone would think this of Ms. Pulvers. I have lived in Oregon for the past 30 years and have seen Hannah grow up and develop into the wonderful trainer she is. Her and her assistant trainer put hours of hard work on those horses to get them to move the way they do. Her mother, Jana Anderson, is one of the directors of WHOA, which Hannah constantly is showing at. The caliber of her horses would be to big for FOSH and she has not had the best of experiences with NWHA. She brought 10 horses to the 2013 Nationals and ending up showing countless of times during that week. However, in one class in which she had a flawless ride she ended up getting a 6th place with her reigning trail pleasure WGC at the time. Personally if that was me I would not want to bring back any of my horses after an experience like that. I have had countless of horses personally in training with her from our trail to our show horses and she is as sound as they come. Anyone who talks to her can tell she loves every one of her horses. If you do not believe me I am sure Hannah would be more then welcomed to have you visit her facility.
    Wait, what? she didn't win so it's ok not to compete again at that show? Really, it's not all about the ribbons. Or is it with the TWH?

I was at the 2013 NWHA Nationals, don't remember seeing her horse in trail pleasure..which is the division i mostly ride. but i will say if her horse was a World Grand Champion (WGC are only awarded at the celebration i believe, maybe the international, either way, neither are NWHA shows) it very most likely was not pinned first because it most likely was not appropriate for the division. When we show WHOA or TWHBEA we show down, when we show FOSH (not that FOSH really has shows anymore, but still) we show up. You have to know where your horse fits in the association's rules.

Plus, let us not forget, it's horse show...you're paying for the judges opinion. The horse I've won the most on (multi NWHA national grand champion in trail pleasure, 2 gait and 3 gait) gets beat all the time.

Winning a WGC doesn't mean your horse is the best in the world all the time...it means that at that show, against the horses in that ring, under that judge...your horse was the best.

If I stopped attending shows because my horse got beat when i thought we should have won I wouldn't have any shows left to attend.

Dispatcher, it's not a TWH thing, it's a sore loser thing

PS. I'm not saying she sores her horses, I looked and couldn't find anything referring to her...but then I didn't read all 314 pages either. I actually quite like some of her horses.
    Last edited by ilmjumper; Feb. 5, 2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: edit