The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 247 of 314 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,940 of 6274

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    If you know of any exclusively flat-shod FB groups I'd be interested! Thanks for all the tips!
    Wellllll, FB is being the usual obnoxious entity that it is, so I can't look up all the pages that I've *liked*, but...here are a few:

The Natural Tennessee Walking Horse
    Dressage/Musical Freestyle for the TWH/Gaited Horse

There are quite a few posts/links to TWH stuff on my page:

WoofNWhinny* (as well as all breeds of horses and dogs)

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're looking around the Mid-Atlantic area, here are a few flat-shod/sound groups (not on FB):

Old Dominion Gaited Horse Club
    Plantation Walking Horse Club of MD
    Chesapeake Plantation Walking Horse Club
    Pennsylvania Pleasure Walking Horses

I know I have more, but I can't find them on FB right now, nor my list of links to non-FB sites.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Poodles & Barrel Racers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

1 members found this post helpful.

Two things before bed..........

Not sure if anyone reads Roy Exum other than what WITW and others post here, but he's physically going thought a tough time. Continuing to write, thank goodness, but in need of thoughts and prayers.

Last but not least, after reading another really long and caustic thread on here I have finally figured out what motivates the Three Amigo's........they think all vegans should be banished. I swear I think I've read a hundred posts that all equate vegans with Satan's spawn. Seriously? Potatoes and corn and honey need love too!

6 members found this post helpful.

I was deeply saddened to read Roy's personal article. Thoughts and prayers are for sure with the man. Though many do not agree - I personally think the power of his words to paper cut through the bullshit that is this 40+ year fight like no other voice I have read has ever done. His words rang true - like aarpaso said. He resonated goose bumps of Hell Yes! Tell it! Like no other before or since.

Nothing like a good man fighting the good fight.

I hope these resources within him help him in his health care battle now. Thoughts and prayers are with him for sure.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

4 members found this post helpful.

Kind of unfortunate - turns out "Sir" WAS a Big Lick horse after all.

Do any of you have any suggestions for a former-BL horse who is extremely "foot-shy"? This little guy isn't MEAN about it by any stretch but has given us to understand somewhat firmly that he does not wish to have his feet/legs touched. At all. The only thing I know is to coax him with food, but I'm very much open to other suggestions!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    i think they are going to set up a poll. Here we go so far:
    Sir Roy
    Roy's Extra Proud
    Roy's Truth Rings
    Roy's Pushin the Press
    Roy Is On It
    Roy's Redman
    Sir Righteous Roy
    Roy's Press Release
    Roy's Full Court Press
    Somewhere else I saw "To Sir, With Love". Is that not an option anymore?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Do any of you have any suggestions for a former-BL horse who is extremely "foot-shy"? This little guy isn't MEAN about it by any stretch but has given us to understand somewhat firmly that he does not wish to have his feet/legs touched. At all. The only thing I know is to coax him with food, but I'm very much open to other suggestions!
    Just go easy on lotions and potions and such. He has every reason to be worried. Approach and retreat. No different than rehabbing an ear shy horse. No need to use feed in my opinion.

War Admiral I'm confused: are you involved in the day to day care of this horse?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

This came out Tuesday. I hadnt posted it because i was still processing the fear and sadness i was feeling

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/2...nny-Jokes.aspx

I let Roy know that a group on COTH had facilitated a rescue and that we wanted to name the red Walker after him. And to my extreme happiness this morning, Roy's tests are not as horrible as had been feared. He acknowledges us here in today's article !

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/2...lly-Doing.aspx

Partial quote- "Then there is COTH. That stands for Chronicle of the Horse, a fantastic magazine that good horse people adore. Not long ago there was an ad on Craigslist in Nashville that showed an emaciated Tennessee Walking Horse for sale and horse lovers on the magazine’s forum went crazy. They soon got up a collection to rescue the horse, found it a home with safe surroundings, and wondered if they might name the 8-year-old for me because of my efforts to halt horse abuse. Is that “big medicine” or what?"

Yes sirree Roy - BIG medicine !
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

4 members found this post helpful.

How do you know that? Could just be that he's had a bad farrier experience or no farrier experience. Especially in the TN area, it's not uncommon for people to not put a lot of attention into starting a horse other than just jumping on it's back and riding.

He'll learn all sorts of things just by being with kind and caring people who halter him every day, who clean his feet every day, who just have their hands on him every day.

Maybe that should be the name? Roy's Big Medicine.
    Sheilah

3 members found this post helpful.

Not sure what you mean by he was a big lick horse. Does he have scars?

In any case - approaching him should be with confidence and a good idea of what you expect from him. Like Katarine mentioned approach and retreat - break it down to simple things and give him a good feeling about it. It need not be treats - but it may be one way to get him to regard you as something good.

My Red horse was very shy and avoided eye contact at all costs - if you made eyecontact he would go to the back of the stall or leave. So I did a "dog" trick thing - put a treat in my hand and held my hand out and asked him to "touch." I would drop it in his bowl and move back to let him have it. And in pretty quick order he learned my hand out to him combined with the word "touch" bode well for something good. It then progressed to him actually coming to my hand, touching it and getting the treat.

I know - hand fed treats are viewed as berry berry bad. But it all depends on who is feeding them and how it is done if you know what I mean.

Here is his soft "touch" eyes - and yes - he is making eye contact with me as the picture is being taken:
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...tos017-1-1.jpg

Be "particular" as you do things - do not become picky. Know what you expect and visualize it and he will see your vision. < < this is not from me but from the very good trainers and clinicians I like to study. Let him be the best horse he can be.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Sheilah
    We need a Name that TWH thread once we get all these names together. and then we need a nice poll thread started for the COTH board to vote on. These are pretty incredible names!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    War Admiral I'm confused: are you involved in the day to day care of this horse?
    No, Pony4Me's doing that. I'm just not afraid to ask the hard questions, and if nobody steps up to adopt him, will probably be involved in the restarting process. As to "how we know", those immediately involved in his care/retraining are experimenting w/ stuff, exchanging info off-board, and getting feedback from very knowledgeable people. I feel 100% confident, based on information not posted here, that we have called this one correctly.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Sheilah
    WOW that is my favorite so far.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Just sent Mr. Exum an e-mail advising him that a lot of us on COTH are pulling for him and that we really do appreciate every single blessed thing he is doing for the TWH.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

7 members found this post helpful.

Yeah. "Roy's Big Medicine" is so right on many levels.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

2 members found this post helpful.

With regards to the current horse of subject.

Foot shy horses. They were trained to be foot shy. Think about it. Lift a foot - get whipped.

Gentle patience will take time. Bet he will lift his foot for the farrier. When he does give him a cookie, something sweet. He may not accept food treats. But he may respond to sweet feed, sweet horse cookies (Mrs. Pastures is a good one).

Maybe rubbing and brushing his legs will get him to lift his feet?

Give him cookies for his positive responses.

He is just scared. He is doing what he was trained. Do not lift your feet for fear of pain.

Poor guy.

Excellent post - many thanks!

Hurley, that is a gorgeous face! Love him to pieces!

My own failed padded horse was totally fine about being asked to lift a hoof, right from the start. But fly spraying his legs, applying SWAT or hoof oil, etc, he would fold himself away from me and try to yield himself away, if that makes sense. Two years after we bought him, I had him at a trail horse competition, saddled, tied to the trailer, and I sprayed his tail with Pepi. When he smelled it- he parked out, raised his head, and mentally just left the property. He wasn't there.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    My own failed padded horse was totally fine about being asked to lift a hoof, right from the start. But fly spraying his legs, applying SWAT or hoof oil, etc, he would fold himself away from me and try to yield himself away, if that makes sense. Two years after we bought him, I had him at a trail horse competition, saddled, tied to the trailer, and I sprayed his tail with Pepi. When he smelled it- he parked out, raised his head, and mentally just left the property. He wasn't there.
    That is very common in formerly sored horses. I think it's there way of "going to that happy place" where there is no pain. And they are heavily stewarded to make sure they go there instead of reacting.