The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 242 of 315 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,840 of 6299

Sharing a good video showing two single foot trainers and their horses. What is great is the sound. You can hear the 4 beats and you can hear then fast/slow and in out of 4 beating then step/pacing then back to 4 beating.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeEsWKuJzP0

And the head is MOL still and the rider is holding it up a bit to keep them in gait. When I find a good "walking gait" video with sound I will put it up for comparison.

Sure modifications can be made to the use style and training - - but these are good examples and good quality sound for the gaiter enthusiasts of some naturally ambling/racking horses. Note the increase in leg lift/reach with speed.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

You can not hear the walking gait foot falls too well here - but you can sure see the difference in the sweeping verses stepping movement of this good example of a walking gait:

http://youtu.be/ynIW3SGW8BI
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

A TWH step pacing - smoothly - almost racking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJv4fPrSWns

This will be the last one - sorry - Tell me you are't looking for the train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXXMJspS44

Those were cool to watch, Hurley, thanks for posting them.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

3 members found this post helpful.

Someone needs to make an audio of footfalls. That would be so awesome.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    A major equine lawyer has responded to me.

Leo

The problem with wording is interpretation. Is a "Racking Horse" different from a horse who has been trained to rack.

You mentioned a defining factor could be an announcer yelling.."Rack On"

It is my belief that a group could challenge the word, Rack, in the courts nd a judge with little to no equine horse experience would make the determination.

He/She would be at a disadvantage due to the nuance of the word, Racking Horse Breed and a Horse that is trained to Rack.

You have every right to be concerned. As should, all horse breed groups and breeders/owners.

Good Luck

Paul
    LEO, if you and your lawyer friend would read the text instead of just guessing, you see that it is BREED specific.

Holy Toledo, would you confuse a Quarter Horse with a Thoroughbred if someone just yelled out "gallop on"?????

Racking horse is a BREED, just as Tennessee Walking Horse is a breed. Or maybe you should call the Racking Horse Breeders Association of America and tell them that your pissed they don't let other horses that rack into their breed.

You truly can not be this dense, can you?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    SB peep here. The seems to be much confusion these days about rack, stepping pace, running walk. The real difference between them is all about footfall sequence/set down, pick-up and whether they are square versus lateral. I think it's gotten to the point where people don't even know the difference anymore.

I see TWH step pace more than anything whether they are supposed to be running walk or racking.

I was always told that a true rack has more HOCK not more knee. In the old days there was a marked difference between the running walk and the rack.
    Very good job explaining it Sunridge. The front legs of the Racking horse curl at the knee more than a Walking horse. On the back legs (which most judges don't even look at in my experience) the hock action is different in TWH and RH's.

Good vids Hurley. When I was an apprentice judge, my mentor told me to listen for the footfall in the Racking Horse. It is very distinct and you can certainly hear all four feet landing independently of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    A TWH step pacing - smoothly - almost racking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJv4fPrSWns
    OK, this is something my little guy has definitely got in his "gearbox." He'll hit this step-pace between canter transitions; it's like his back end sits, his front end grows (helps if I do "Harley handlebars" with the reins), and it's quite pleasant and easy to sit unless and until it falls into a hard pace, which I won't let him do.

This is a 7-year old who hasn't really got a dialed-in RW yet. Now my question: I've heard the step-pace isn't good for their backs and hocks. So should I let him do it if he wants to? We are the lone gaiters in H/J central so we're on our own!

CleanupTn,
    Please stop the personal attacks! I am tired of you and your new-found friends attacking anyone who questions your obvious inability to define a racking horse. Just admit that Fairfax has a good point. His questions have flummoxed you and you can't control your anger. Please play nice or perhaps it is time to close this thread. Churlishness does not become you!

7A - i took you off ignore for a quick second to read what you had to say. A quick search of your posts reveals the type of posts you make and why you are posting in this thread. Please move along if you dont have anything constructive to add. Or - stay around and be put on, or back on (for me) ignore.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    OK, this is something my little guy has definitely got in his "gearbox." He'll hit this step-pace between canter transitions; it's like his back end sits, his front end grows (helps if I do "Harley handlebars" with the reins), and it's quite pleasant and easy to sit unless and until it falls into a hard pace, which I won't let him do.

This is a 7-year old who hasn't really got a dialed-in RW yet. Now my question: I've heard the step-pace isn't good for their backs and hocks. So should I let him do it if he wants to? We are the lone gaiters in H/J central so we're on our own!
    I would say what you heard is correct cause all the gaited gurus I know will point out the body tension of the step pace leads to long term stiffness. But the same guru will not worry about the step pace if the horse is also worked to do all the other good stuff - bending flexing and especially gaiting at a slower speed with a lower head.

My guess is this horse in the video would do a good FW RW if he was allowed to be slow enough. And you can see a couple of times as he comes down in his gait he gets a longer stride with a lower head and the nod shows up as well.

This bolded part is VERY desirable!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    perhaps it is time to close this thread.
    You/Leo would love to close yet another thread in which your input isn't viewed as important or factual as you hoped for.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    CleanupTn,
    Please stop the personal attacks! I am tired of you and your new-found friends attacking anyone who questions your obvious inability to define a racking horse. Just admit that Fairfax has a good point. His questions have flummoxed you and you can't control your anger. Please play nice or perhaps it is time to close this thread. Churlishness does not become you!
    7, so what you're saying is that you didn't know there was such a BREED as a Racking Horse, huh? So far, I think the BREED Racking Horse has been described very well by myself and others who actually know what they are. It seems that everyone who is here about the TWH gets along just fine.....it's those with other agendas who don't fit in so well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Lady E, have you tried working your horse going up hills? That seems to do a lot of strengthening and developing of the muscles they use when they FW or RW. And does he get into that hard pace when he picks up speed or does he just fall in and out of gear?

Quote Originally Posted by CleanUpTN View Post
    Lady E, have you tried working your horse going up hills? That seems to do a lot of strengthening and developing of the muscles they use when they FW or RW. And does he get into that hard pace when he picks up speed or does he just fall in and out of gear?
    I love your stuff CleanUpTN!!

I want to add a question to Lady Eboshi - Are you in any way restraining the head of your horse with a constant back pressure backward or fixed pressure on both reins? The handle bar hand position can do this as it can trap the head up and close down the hinds. Quite a few Walking Horse trainers I have seen will use one rein or the other in a slow rhythm opening and closing a "bump"when trying to get a change or correction in gait.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    I love your stuff CleanUpTN!!

I want to add a question to Lady Eboshi - Are you in any way restraining the head of your horse with a constant back pressure backward or fixed pressure on both reins? The handle bar hand position can do this as it can trap the head up and close down the hinds. Quite a few Walking Horse trainers I have seen will use one rein or the other in a slow rhythm opening and closing a "bump"when trying to get a change or correction in gait.
    Many thanks for answering my questions! Right now I'm more or less experimenting; trying things and then making them "keepers" when he responds. I've had him 4 years, got him newly started at 3 (he'd been a rescue, seized by the State of Arkansas a few months previous in a neglect case) and for the first year just enjoyed him as a trail horse as I was told he was too young to learn to gait. He does have very loose stifles! Since then, I have done a lot of hill work with him, making sure he's pushing off and using himself from behind, and he's now grown into himself and showing me a variety of gaits.

I work him 90% of the time in flat walk on a loose rein or very light contact and only "put him together" a little more when asking for a transition. When he was younger and not so strong, he would indeed raise his head and get hollow and tense through his back and then skitter forward in something almost like that single-foot rack. As an old dressage rider I know that tension and hollowness ain't good, so I've concentrated on "calm, forward and straight" and only this spring begun to really try to separate out what he's got and encourage or reject what's in there. He DOES like a little bit of "lifting" contact when I ask him to canter, but for RW it's too much. The most mysterious thing is, I've only gotten the big head-nod a few times . . .

He appears to be a very well-bred (unpapered, regrettably) TWH.
    Decidedly the type who would have been a candidate for padded if he hadn't been such a little (13.3 then, 14.3 now) baby. He dodged THAT bullet and got culled. FABULOUSLY brave, if he were 16.1 and a TB we'd be eventing Prelim!

I keep hoping the RW develops over time . . .

WITW, I can't send you a private message cause your inbox is full LOL