The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 174 of 315 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 6295

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    I am surprised you would say this cordial.

Do YOU understand that a barefoot horse can be sored?

Do you?
    Yes, Mr, Hurley, I know that, but you spend so much of your energy on getting rid of the padded horses that you think that everything will be fine and dandy. I have said on many posts that to me the worst abuse is pressure shoeing, but you have never mentioned it Pressure shoeing is seen mostly in the flat-shod division. I hope that can be done away with!

YOU infer what I think - you have had ample opportunity to read what I think. I in no way shape or form think what you post above.

I do not want to get rid of the shoe on a horse, nor do I want to get ride of a pad. I want to see all the stacks, chains, banded shoes etc etc etc gone. They are just excessive and burdensome and each a bit of an abuse which all came along part and parcel with all forms of soring.

I know you do not see nor understand my position. But I am pro HR6388. It does not mean that I think all who do not stack and chain are pure as the driven snow.

Yes, pressure shoeing is right up there with chains and stacks. All bad news and all soon to be history. And having read your posts I know you are of the opinion that things will be fine for you and yours without these things. I hope others will also see that a lot can be done with these horses without the excesses of the "business as usual" TWH crowd.

Many changes for the good are on the way.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm hearing a rumor that the Gulf Coast Charity Horse Show in April in Panama City Beach,Fla is cancelled. Another Licker venue biting the dust ?
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

5 members found this post helpful.

Would be nice.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    I'm hearing a rumor that the Gulf Coast Charity Horse Show in April in Panama City Beach,Fla is cancelled. Another Licker venue biting the dust ?
    I don't think so, it doesn't say its canceled on their web page...

Hi friends. I haven't read all of the posts, but I decided to join to chime in on this thread. My name is Andrea, and I'm so glad to see that the soring issue has come to COTH. Unfortunately we are dealing with this torture on a daily basis, and the fight to end it is getting harder and harder because we keep winning some of the small wars, so they're getting meaner and meaner.

To answer your question, WalkintheWoods, I will have to do some research and find out. That's a good question. We just got word that the Germantown Charity Horse Show will no longer have the stacked TWH due to the new rule written by the USEF! Even though the USEF does not recognize TWHs as part of their federation, they have a new rule that prohibits stacked horses on the show grounds at their shows. This means that if there a show in your area that has TWH stacked and banded classes in it and the show is USEF affiliated, let the show management know to remove those classes or they can be fined by the USEF. If they don't, then give the USEF a call! http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot...ains-from.html

Also, we've been doing a lot of work with the For the Tennessee Walking Horse blog, website, and Facebook group to help end soring, and we could really use folks who are working to help end it. Even sending emails to our Congress persons about the new amendment to the HPA to eliminate stacks and chains and to strengthen the penalties helps! The blog is http://forthetnwalkinghorse.blogspot.com and the website is in my signature, with a link to the blog.

THANK YOU to those of you who are continuing to bring this to light and to help us stop this atrocity. We promise, the TWH deserves a better reputation than this, and we need all the help we can get to end this nightmare!
    Andrea, For the Tennessee Walking Horse
    www.forthetwh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    I don't think so, it doesn't say its canceled on their web page...
    No, it doesn't. But it seems odd that there is no information at all regarding the show. A major event in April usually has it's program up and running by Jan. At least they do if they want maximized participation.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

It is true. There is a bleep on the front page of twhnc.com

Gulf Coast Charity Horse Show Cancelled

The Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration (TWHNC) has announced that the 2013 Gulf Coast Charity Celebration has been cancelled. Although cancelled in 2013, both the TWHNC and Gulf Coast Charity are looking at ways to continue the show in 2014.

The Gulf Coast Charity Celebration in Panama City Beach, Fl. has been a staple on the Walking Horse show calendar since 1999 and will be missed by exhibitors and trainers who have frequented the white sand beaches of Northwest Florida.

"It is unfortunate that we were unable to achieve the correct balance of cost, participation, and sponsorship to make the show profitable in 2012,"said Celebration CEO Mike Inman. He continued, "The Celebration has proven it will do everything it can to help horse shows in the industry to survive but at some point we have to protect the bottom line of The Celebration and unfortunately that motive necessitated the move to cancel the 2013 Gulf Coast Charity Celebration."

The three day show was scheduled for April 25-27, 2013, its traditional last full weekend in April date. The void in the show calendar has not yet been filled. The Celebration is looking at all options to move forward in 2014 with a show in Panama City Beach.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Here is a bleep from a resort that gets lots of business during the show. I wonder what happened to make this year's participation from the Celebration crowd unravel.

http://www.grandpanamabeachresort.co...ank-brown-park

There is a possibility that the TWH division has been removed from the Big D Charity Horse Show in Texas, too. It was also a stacked division.
    www.forthetwh.com

Confirmed...the Big D in Texas will not have the TWH division.

The new USEF rule is really making a difference here. It's pretty clear when your shows have to be shut down because of a prominent horse federation's new rules to avoid abuse. Let's hope they see this for what it truly is.
    www.forthetwh.com

6 members found this post helpful.

BWWWWAAAAA!!

Quote Originally Posted by FortheTWH View Post
    Hi friends. I haven't read all of the posts, but I decided to join to chime in on this thread. My name is Andrea, and I'm so glad to see that the soring issue has come to COTH. ...

... we need all the help we can get to end this nightmare!
    Yes, TWH Racking and SSh horses and show associations need all the reform help they can get.

But unfortunately, the soring issue has not yet really come to the attention of COTH - it is but a thread on the forum. It would be a great day indeed if Chronicle of The Horse would actually assign a journalist to examine the issue and address it formally in the magazine. Specially since AAEP, AVMA, and USEF are continuing to turn their esteemed attentions to it.

But to my knowledge they have not.

Maybe time for a little poke to the magazine itself?

Why would the COTH, whose focus is sport horses, spend time and effort dealing with an issue that affects a tiny minority of a minor breed? Even if you figure on including all the sored up flat a and light shod horses you don't have hardly the entry at one major trotting event.

While the practice is the domain of the cruel and incompetent that does not mean that publications with a totally different orientations should spend their time exposing it. Now a publication with a broader focus, like say Western Horseman or The Horse is a different kettle of fish. Maybe y'all should "poke"* them instead!!!

G.

Ever look at the etymology of the word "poke"? You might find some interesting historical meanings!
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

4 members found this post helpful.

Pretty good poke there Mr G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Why would the COTH, whose focus is sport horses, spend time and effort dealing with an issue that affects a tiny minority of a minor breed? Even if you figure on including all the sored up flat a and light shod horses you don't have hardly the entry at one major trotting event.

While the practice is the domain of the cruel and incompetent that does not mean that publications with a totally different orientations should spend their time exposing it. Now a publication with a broader focus, like say Western Horseman or The Horse is a different kettle of fish. Maybe y'all should "poke"* them instead!!!

G.
    Deflecting doesn't help the issue. This Off Course section is provided for anything, so COTH can have this post if they wish. If you don't want people to be "poking" this issue, then help stop the soring for real by stop supporting HPA violators and stop sending horses to known cheaters. Make people responsible for their actions instead of letting them come up with excuses. Admit that what Jackie McConnell did is still rampant, and stop defending him and people like him. If the industry would actually stand up and do something about this rather than continuing to cover up and lie about what's really going on, then the attention would stop.
    www.forthetwh.com

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    But unfortunately, the soring issue has not yet really come to the attention of COTH - it is but a thread on the forum. It would be a great day indeed if Chronicle of The Horse would actually assign a journalist to examine the issue and address it formally in the magazine. Specially since AAEP, AVMA, and USEF are continuing to turn their esteemed attentions to it.

But to my knowledge they have not.

Maybe time for a little poke to the magazine itself?
    Excellent idea!
    www.forthetwh.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I apologize, G--I misread your post.

What COTH doing a story about this would do is get it to that many more people about what's going on, and that will lead to more awareness and more support to help stop this. If we could get a bunch of COTH members to show their support of the new amendment, then that's just that much closer we get to winning this battle.
    www.forthetwh.com

Indeed! COTH has a lot of good reasons to turn its eyes on this topic.

A story:

Went to observe a clinic: Harry Whitney.

Went to observe a lesson: Bill Woods.

I do not need to tell you the parallels between what the two taught were infinite. Like they were born of the same cloth.

It was some good stuff. Yah.

So in my mind and mini world, the potential of such horsemanship was either lost or never offered to the stacker crowd. Or the stacker folks turned their backs on great horseman and then corrupted their ways to mimic the high step and the willing horse by hobbling and restraining them - lots of force.

And I am sure stackers still squint real hard to blur their vision of what they have done to the horse to be something great - but just misunderstood by those outside of stacker world. Like the way a strong forceful rider might do to justify what they do as something good. We all know strong riders who can force a horse to do most anything. But only a person who has seen true greatness will see that a forced ride is never the equal of the ride of willing partners.

Bottom line: Good horsemanship is good horsemanship - no matter your tack or discipline. Both these men (Harry Whitney and Bill Woods) presented the same core of truth to the participating horses and riders. The stacker crowd does not know this truth.

How can they know what it is they do not know?? How can they really understand how encumbered the stacked and chained and weighted shod horse is???

Fact is they can't, won't and don't. And no amount of words will show them. They have to see greatness at the side of a great horseman to appreciate it. They have to see balance to appreciate it. They need real horseman to show them.

IF real horseman direct their attentions to them - like a good jerk on their chain - they will get the attention of that stacker crowd and THEN might be able to bring and invite them to a much better and higher place.

In the 'about us' section of COTH they recognize the industry they serve as the sport horse. And in each article good horsemanship built upon the great horseman before them is what is sought and displayed. COTH might call it sport horsing - but it really is just good horsing.

So if COTH directs its attentions to this stacked population of horses and exerts a little influence, who knows... along with adding weight to those who want to erase this from the show circuit (us little posters) - they may just show the way for the corrupted to revisit the principles that the great riders before us all set out.

They just may fulfill their other describer in the "about us" section. And that is to be "an information hub for those who desire to live the active equestrian lifestyle."

I think they can squeeze in an issue.

The Chronicle forums is a great place for this discussion.
    Their magazine isn't. For 2 good reasons:
    1) They only cover certain sports/disciplines and have only so much print room.
    2) The only readers of the magazine aren't going to be the people who change anything in the Big Lick world. Not because they don't want to, because when it comes to Big Lick, they don't have a voice/count.

The way to get support for those trying to ban Big Lick and/or abusive practices and just plain abuse is to target the TWH audience. The people who will have an enormous affect on it...the ones who fund it and who watch it.

This is a great way to vent, share information and bounce ideas off of one another and with people of all equine backgrounds. But overall if there's going to be ANY serious changes...this isn't the target audience. And I'm not saying that to be a downer or to try to stifle any conversation here. I think this is a good thing. I'm saying it because it makes the most sense and the most potential for change to funnel energy and action into areas where it has the highest chance of success. The Chronicle Magazine isn't that place. The readers will all read about it, shake their heads and feel awful. But that's about all they can do because it's not like they are the ones oiling the abuse machine by attending it, adding income to it or even by watching/reading/purchasing anything TWH related. The removal of show grounds is a good thing....but hit them where they'll feel it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte