The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 161 of 315 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 6295
  1. #3201
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    653

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    OH, Gnalli, I was so with you until the saddle BS.

    If they can show them in a cutback, or a western saddle- and it's a walking horse, whyowhycan't they show him in a dressage saddle? It's just a saddle.

    I show my TWH in gaited dressage and I've had countless people (trotting horse people) approach me to compliment his turnout and demeanor, AND to say some variant of 'I didn't know they could gait w/o all of that crap on their feet.' Different horses do different jobs representing the breed. I just wish I felt that CW was a representation of TWHs, not his owner's ego.


    Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL
    Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #3202
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Word is that the Missouri State Fair is considering elimination of TWH Performance classes from its annual show because USEF is threatening to pull its rating from the show if big lick horses are allowed.
    Oh boy, I bet that made your day!!!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3203
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    9,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    Normally I would agree, but in that type of class, the cutback is the "norm". You would not have gone in that class with a western saddle, or a western pleasure class with a hunt seat is all I meant, nothing against the saddle itself.

    Personally, I want a dressage saddle for me to piddle around in because they look so comfy.
    You would be disappointed.

    "Dressage saddles" generally put the rider into a very closely controlled position. Just what that position will be will depend upon make, model, and year produced. Earlier saddles, like the Stubben Tristan, were more "flexible" but if you were try a Stubben Maestro you would find that you'll be almost put in a "molded seat" that will allow very little rider moment. For Dressage (the competition) this is a good thing; for anything else it gets an SUX rating.

    When a person enters a competition they have to abide by the rules of that competition, whether they like them or not. To act otherwise to be arrogant and self-serving.

    The wise rider in any discipline picks the saddle that best meets the needs of them and their horse AND complies with the rules of the discipline chosen.

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #3204
    Join Date
    May. 16, 2007
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Word is that the Missouri State Fair is considering elimination of TWH Performance classes from its annual show because USEF is threatening to pull its rating from the show if big lick horses are allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cordial View Post
    Oh boy, I bet that made your day!!!
    The news that USEF may pull their rating for sure made my day as have other things that have happened in the last few days.

    thehorse.com has a wide readership and i appreciated this article:
    http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/aaep-co...de-soring.aspx

    And asking the Tennessee District Attorneys General to investigate the positive swabs from Celebration also made my day.

    http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...st-120612.html

    All in all, its been a good week.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  5. #3205
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2007
    Posts
    377

    Default

    the news from USEF has really spoke volumes as to how the HORSE WORLD feels toward the BL.and this will make waves big waves thru out the open show industry.end the BL class at your shows help stop the abuse of the TWH.

    thank you USEF


    6 members found this post helpful.

  6. #3206
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2007
    Posts
    377

    Default

    the State of Tennessee has been put under the microscope,its time to do the right thing follow the LAW.federal and your state law.

    hold the abusers of the HORSE that bares your NAME,to the fire STOP the ABUSE of the WALKING HORSE.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #3207
    Join Date
    Nov. 11, 2009
    Posts
    211

    Default

    This is one of the reasons to have hope !!~ ~~~ with things this tight...if you have wanted to scream at the top of your voice to someone;

    "STOP IT!!!"

    THIS will energize you ~~~~ DO IT PEOPLE! Stop talkin bout it and do it!!! contact your lawmakers!

    SHARE THIS!!!

    http://http://www.chattanoogan.com/2...s-General.aspx


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #3208
    Join Date
    May. 16, 2007
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Thanks, Preacher. I fixed the link.

    http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/12/...s-General.aspx
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #3209
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    The news that USEF may pull their rating for sure made my day as have other things that have happened in the last few days.

    thehorse.com has a wide readership and i appreciated this article:
    http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/aaep-co...de-soring.aspx

    And asking the Tennessee District Attorneys General to investigate the positive swabs from Celebration also made my day.

    http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...st-120612.html

    All in all, its been a good week.
    I am glad that had a good week. If and when the pads and chains are outlawed, we will take out padded horses down to flat-shod and go on with life...not a problem. All of you posters that don't like the pads and chains also think that they are sored...maybe in some cases, but many people are against them. It is very discouraging to come on here, knowing your horse is sound, and be called the nasty names. I don't know what is going to happen to the pads and chains, but I really don't care one way or the other. If the pads and chains go bye, bye, please put your energy to getting abuse wiped out in other breeds.You seem to thrive on doing good for the care of horses....there is plenty of work to do in other breeds!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #3210
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2003
    Location
    Northeast MA
    Posts
    4,074

    Default

    Cordial, your posts have been very reasonable and your passion for your horses shows. I congratulate you on having a sound show horse for so many years: rare no matter what the discipline!

    And I really appreciate your most recent post with your perspective that if pads and chains go, you will continue to show flat-shod. You are right: the world will not end if chains and pads are eliminated and showing will continue (although it seems that some people may not feel this way).

    I would hope that you and others like you would join in to ban pads and chains (and I don't mean small therapeutic pads of a a few millimeters, I mean what this thread calls stacks). Why would you even consider doing this? Because unfortunately the soring, stacked pads and chains seem to be utilized in concert by others whose horses do not share the same soundness yours do. They are used as mechanical means to achieve what to horsemen of any other discipline is an extremely unnatural and physically stressful gait. Unfortunately, in order to be successful in the show ring, one must employ such mechanical means because that unnatural gait is rewarded.

    IF the chains and stacked pads were eliminated, and examinations were still conducted for soring, the playing field would become much more level. Wonderfully sound and talented horses such as yours could display their beautiful natural gaits and excel against their peers. The horse with the most outstanding natural gait would rise to the top: such a horse would be outstanding because of his athletic ability, not because of mechanical manipulation. If only...
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #3211
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Many ofd the posters don't show, don't own and only need a cause. The rules for Saddlebreds and Arabs are in effect and they don't show with chains so it isn't an issue. They are allowed pads and if this little group thinks they are going to have success going after Morgans, Asb's, Arabs etc they will also have to take on the WB groups who also use pads.

    Many posters have stated there are not a lot of BL horses so it should not have any impact on the show ring. If there are not the numbers of TWH's in any division in the show ring, the breed will just be dropped. No different than what happened to the Shetland Pony.

    If the current registration body collapses is there a group that is willing to step up with some big bucks to create a new registration body? Or, are the numbers for registered TWH's so low it can be done by just about anyone?

    With the demise of the BL and what I have read here, that certain bloodlines are specifically bred for BL and its action abilities...will these just be discontinued and is that going to impact the genetic availability of the breed?

    Is there a publication for the flat shod? The last one went under but maybe there will be more support for a new one.

    I am happy to see a direct assault against those who sore however I am concerned regarding the "newly appointed" credibility to the HSUS group and their agenda.

    Does anyone know, now that Roy is the man of their hour, if HSUS has actually put up ANY money ...??? If so...where? I can not find any court records showing they have provided any legal or support (financial) for the fight against soring. Nothing in the state legislation bodies either...of course there are papers provided by others...just none paid for by Danes and his HSUS group.

    I watched the parade spectators drop to zero for the Shetland breed after those fighting against high action won...I hope better awaits the TWH breed.

    It takes a lot of money to promote...and it will need to have individuals such as the Preacher dig deep into their pockets


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #3212
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    they will also have to take on the WB groups who also use pads.
    Please explain?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #3213
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,680

    Default

    ^^^ I see I got the thumbs down. So, we have huge stacks of pads - 4 inches or so taller (big lick), and then you have regular shoeing practices (I guess that is the "WB groups") that at times, use very thin (think quarter of an inch) rubber or leather pads to protect the sole from bruising.

    One is to protect the hoof from discomfort, and the other is use to radically change the angles of the hoof, and the gait of the animal.

    Are you saying that if one goes out (stacks for TWH) then the same "anti" groups should go after thin pads used for therapeutic purposes?

    FYI - not only "warmblood" people use those. I have known trail horses that get pads to deal with particularly rocky areas. My TB needed pads if he was going to be turned out much of the time because he bruised his thin soles.

    But I guess if stacks and chains aren’t allowed – shoeing a horse in a way that benefits its comfort should be “gone after”?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #3214
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    The statement was made to remove all pads with MAYBE the exception for theraputic...however it was also stated that maybe if they need the pads they shouldn't be shown


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #3215
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Cordial, your posts have been very reasonable and your passion for your horses shows. I congratulate you on having a sound show horse for so many years: rare no matter what the discipline!

    And I really appreciate your most recent post with your perspective that if pads and chains go, you will continue to show flat-shod. You are right: the world will not end if chains and pads are eliminated and showing will continue (although it seems that some people may not feel this way).

    I would hope that you and others like you would join in to ban pads and chains (and I don't mean small therapeutic pads of a a few millimeters, I mean what this thread calls stacks). Why would you even consider doing this? Because unfortunately the soring, stacked pads and chains seem to be utilized in concert by others whose horses do not share the same soundness yours do. They are used as mechanical means to achieve what to horsemen of any other discipline is an extremely unnatural and physically stressful gait. Unfortunately, in order to be successful in the show ring, one must employ such mechanical means because that unnatural gait is rewarded.

    IF the chains and stacked pads were eliminated, and examinations were still conducted for soring, the playing field would become much more level. Wonderfully sound and talented horses such as yours could display their beautiful natural gaits and excel against their peers. The horse with the most outstanding natural gait would rise to the top: such a horse would be outstanding because of his athletic ability, not because of mechanical manipulation. If only...
    We have only one padded horse that we have had for many years, and the rest are flat-shod, that we also have had for many years. I do love a good sound padded horse...they are amazing to ride, but I am not a big padded horse person. I personally like them, but I have always ridden flat-shod in the show ring.
    The problem is that there is abuse in the flat-shod division as well...pressure shoeing is a big problem, road floundering, quicking the hoof, and many more things. So getting rid of the chains and pads is just one problem, but NOT the only one..... believe me. Also soring is done in the flat-shod division as well, so there are many things that trainers and owners do. But the padded horses take all of the abuse from the people that hate the padds and chains! Alot of time it is unwarranted.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #3216
    Join Date
    Nov. 11, 2009
    Posts
    211

    Default

    *SIGH* Cordial & Katerine I tire of the chasing after statements and comments that can be proven the fact that you are mean-spirited, nasty and unhappy people, now what was it you said about him not being everything you thought he should be?

    Katerine;

    "I just wish I felt that CW was a representation of TWHs, not his owner's ego.

    Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL"


    CORDIAL : "Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person."

    And by the way you name dropping and saying you met him as if you know something about him is telling...okay I want everyone who would like to see these two eat crow..

    Show me ladies the horse yu think is a better representative of the light division.

    Please look at the first musical freestyle he ever did in 2006 at the Kentucky Horse Park..and then tell me he had no animated, correct flat walk and running walk gait, and remember, this was all natural, keg shod ,,then that same year we went to Florida

    http://www.walkinonranch.com/musicalfreestyle%20.html

    Have a blessed night ladies tsk, tsk, tsk,
    Last edited by The Preacher; Dec. 7, 2012 at 09:52 PM.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #3217
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post
    *SIGH* Cordial & Katerine I tire of the chasing after statements and comments that can be proven the fact that you are mean-spirited, nasty and unhappy people, now what was it you said about him not being everything you thought he should be?

    Katerine;

    "I just wish I felt that CW was a representation of TWHs, not his owner's ego.

    Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL"


    CORDIAL : "Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person."

    And by the way you name dropping and saying you met him as if you know something about him is telling...okay I want everyone who would like to see these two eat crow..

    Show me ladies the horse yu think is a better representative of the light division.

    Please look at the first musical freestyle he ever did in 2006 at the Kentucky Horse Park..and then tell me he had no animated, correct flat walk and running walk gait, and remember, this was all natural, keg shod ,,then that same year we went to Florida

    [URL"http://www.walkinonranch.com/musicalfreestyle.html"[/URL]

    Have a blessed night ladies tsk, tsk, tsk,
    Allen All Around
    Cash's Prime Time
    The Midnight Ride
    Banner's Dixie Belle

    And a few dozen others.
    Champagne Watchout isn't a bad horse. He still takes my breath away on a western riding pattern. But he isn't a top rail horse. It's like taking Totilas into a reining class. What would be the point? It isn't his strength. Rail classes are not Watchout's strength, either.

    There are plenty of flatshod horses out there who better represent top movement in the Walking Horse world. The list above includes many horses that have performed at WEG and other venues designed to promote sound, healthy, happy walking horses.

    Demonstrating the value of sound healthy gaited horses isn't a competition-- it's something we do for the horse.

    Here is a taste of what sound horse showing looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZOtmu3mUc


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #3218
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post
    *SIGH* Cordial & Katerine I tire of the chasing after statements and comments that can be proven the fact that you are mean-spirited, nasty and unhappy people, now what was it you said about him not being everything you thought he should be?

    Katerine;

    "I just wish I felt that CW was a representation of TWHs, not his owner's ego.

    Agree that CW does not epitomize the ideal smooth moving big sweepy moving TWH. He's a pretty color and very kind, obviously, but no, he's not anywhere close to a top quality flat shod horse. It's too bad; The breed could use a legitimate ambassador without all the posturing and the baggage. It is a detriment to the breed that it's loudest 'advocate' is ... a loudmouth LOL"


    CORDIAL : "Great Post! He is a beautiful color, but is not a good ambassador of the flat-shod breed. Yes, I have seen him in person."

    And by the way you name dropping and saying you met him as if you know something about him is telling...okay I want everyone who would like to see these two eat crow..

    Show me ladies the horse yu think is a better representative of the light division.

    Please look at the first musical freestyle he ever did in 2006 at the Kentucky Horse Park..and then tell me he had no animated, correct flat walk and running walk gait, and remember, this was all natural, keg shod ,,then that same year we went to Florida

    [URL"http://www.walkinonranch.com/musicalfreestyle.html"[/URL]

    Have a blessed night ladies tsk, tsk, tsk,
    Tsk tsk, to you Mr. Preache, CW doesn't have enough back-end, front-end or head-shake to be called the Model for a flat-shod horse. He would have Trouble getting a ribbon in the Trail Pleasure Division. He is a lovely color, I will give him that. Not dropping names, I saw him at the Celebration in the Stake class!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  19. #3219
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shansurri View Post
    Allen All Around
    Cash's Prime Time
    The Midnight Ride
    Banner's Dixie Belle

    And a few dozen others.
    Champagne Watchout isn't a bad horse. He still takes my breath away on a western riding pattern. But he isn't a top rail horse. It's like taking Totilas into a reining class. What would be the point? It isn't his strength. Rail classes are not Watchout's strength, either.

    There are plenty of flatshod horses out there who better represent top movement in the Walking Horse world. The list above includes many horses that have performed at WEG and other venues designed to promote sound, healthy, happy walking horses.

    Demonstrating the value of sound healthy gaited horses isn't a competition-- it's something we do for the horse.

    Here is a taste of what sound horse showing looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZOtmu3mUc
    Enjoyed your tape...some nice moving and shaking horses!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #3220
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,495

    Default

    And I saw him totally lose his *hit and refuse the water obstacle at the AHC Horse Fair, the first year they did the Trail Horse competition. You bought CW and some black mare, Jennie rode them both.

    He was overfaced,unsure, and upset. He didn't place well, not at all. I was into QHs and knew vaguely who he was. I know that the riding and exhibiting I witnessed was deplorable.
    The same year Jennie gigged the everlivin' *hit out of a black mare afraid of an obstacle near the end. Gigged gigged GIGGED. It was UGLY riding.

    We placed in the top 5 out of 70. How did yall do? You finally quit hollering about how great thou art when the black mare just sulled up and by God quit. Good for her, as it was ugly.

    Must we, Preacher? Must we?

    You are not in it for the horses. I'll never be convinced it's not all about you.

    Notice you didn't mention his performance at WEG. It was an ugly, disunited mess. You've made a circus trick out of a kind, willing horse. An ugly circus trick.
    Last edited by katarine; Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM.


    4 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Video of Tennessee Walking Horse We witnessed at the GIHP
    By Summit Springs Farm in forum Off Course
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: Nov. 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
  2. Replies: 143
    Last Post: Jul. 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
  3. Tennessee Walking Horses in Dressage?
    By Rodeio in forum Dressage
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jul. 17, 2009, 10:55 AM
  4. Question about Tennessee Walking Horses
    By CanterQueen in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2008, 02:41 AM
  5. Showing Tennessee Walking Horses
    By Cindyg in forum Off Course
    Replies: 228
    Last Post: May. 15, 2008, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •