The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is kitten food ok for a tiny kitten even?

So office ceiling resuce kitty is refusing to drink the KMR and has been since day one. I have tried everything to get the kid to drink and he says no bueno. I went and bought some kitten formula canned food (Science Diet was all I could find at first, so bought that) and he dove in with all 4 feet and buried his face slurping away. I tried mixing some milk with it, NO, and then started mixing water with it and blending it a fairly runny consistency which was an ok, but he prefers it just plain it seems. Until I can get the little brat to take more water, he is going to have to deal with watery food though.

My question is, is it ok for him to survive on canned kitten food at this age or is this going to screw his health up? I'm not sure how old he is but he is walking around (full walk, not a crawl) and has his eyes open. At first he didn't seem to be able to focus very well, but now he does focus on things.

Other than that kitten seems to be doing well. He's staying in the house with my JRT and Daschund. My JRT is very protective of him and growls at the Daschund when he gets close to the kitty. Kitty sleeps in a crate at night and sleeps in my dog's tent, under a dog bed during the day. He plays a lot and would play with his toys even more, but my JRT steals them and hides them.

This is my dog's toy tent (look closely at the bottom of the white bed):
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...88528133_n.jpg

Close up of bottom of white bed:
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...96666888_o.jpg
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

My vet told us to feed the tiny, barely 4-week old kitten we found Fancy Feast, and he did perfectly well on it. But I'd check with the vet first, especially if he's younger than 4 weeks.

ETA: OMG he's so cute! I couldn't see him at first under the bed . . . I'm so glad you're taking care of him.

The most important way to determine if this is working for him - apart from his activity level - is whether or not he's POOPING & PEEING. That will determine how well his little digestive system is handling the food. Pooping & peeing fairly normally? Then all is well.

(But I'd still probably run this diet issue thru your vet.)

Kitty is headed to the vet on Saturday for a general check up and to see if he's old enough for shots/tests. He is pooping and peeing, but I feel like he should doing both more often. I am stimulating him even though he screams like a banshee while I do it, and he will pee while being stimulated. He has never pooped that way though and just seems to poop whenever he's good and ready.

Anyway, I thought I would see what the COTH gurus had to say on the topic until kitty's vet appt came around. Thanks!
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

what a CUTE stinker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

How often is he "going"? And is he peeing without you stimulating him? Because if he's pooping without stimulation, there really isn't any reason at all why you should be having to stimulate him to pee. They should be pretty much hand-in-hand. Are you absolutely sure he can't pee on his own?

He does poop and pee on his own, but I didn't think he was going as often as he should, so I've been trying to stimulate him. It produces urine, but that's it. He only goes around 2-3 times a day, and compared to a puppy, that's not nearly enough. That is what I'm basing "not enough" on, as I haven't raised a kitten so young.

Thanks.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

I'm kind of a hard a$$ when it comes to weaning my bottle kittens, I start offering them soft foor at 3- 3 1/2 weeks, and once they eat no more bottle. I would say that most of the ones I have raised have been on canned food by 4 weeks, but some do take a little longer.

If he's up running around and getting in that much stuff you can quit stimulating him. Usuallly by 2-3 weeks they dont need that anymore
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

In your picture, it looks like his eyes have started to change color. If so, that would place him in the 6-8 week range. Canned kitten food should be just fine for him. If you are concerned about water intake, then mixing it to a slurry is a great idea.

He is probably old enough that you don't have to stimulate. What they told us when I was a vet assistant was that the Science Diet tries to use very little filler in its food so the pet utilizes more and wastes (poops) less.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Just an update on ceiling kitty.

Vet check went well- healthy! The vet also said that kitty was fine on kitten food and water as long as he was eating it well and he is so that's that.

Kitty has now decided that he is a dog. Even though he has a litterbox, when he needs to potty, he goes and sits by the door to go outside like the dogs do. It's funny to see because he's just so tiny. When you open the door, he runs out, potties, then heads back to the door to come in.

This morning he was pouncing around the living room all Halloween scary cat like. He walked up to my JRT and smacked him in the face. JRT just stood there gobsmacked. Then the kitty attacked the poor Daschund's tail. The Daschund screamed like someone was killing him and ran into his crate to hide.

I will try and get some updated pictures of the kitty. My mentally disabled brother named him Harley which is not a name I would have picked, but I guess I'm stuck with it now. I should have known better than to tell him he could name the cat after the whole barn cats named Rambo and Superman incident years ago.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    Just an update on ceiling kitty.

Vet check went well- healthy! The vet also said that kitty was fine on kitten food and water as long as he was eating it well and he is so that's that.

Kitty has now decided that he is a dog. Even though he has a litterbox, when he needs to potty, he goes and sits by the door to go outside like the dogs do. It's funny to see because he's just so tiny. When you open the door, he runs out, potties, then heads back to the door to come in.

This morning he was pouncing around the living room all Halloween scary cat like. He walked up to my JRT and smacked him in the face. JRT just stood there gobsmacked. Then the kitty attacked the poor Daschund's tail. The Daschund screamed like someone was killing him and ran into his crate to hide.

I will try and get some updated pictures of the kitty. My mentally disabled brother named him Harley which is not a name I would have picked, but I guess I'm stuck with it now. I should have known better than to tell him he could name the cat after the whole barn cats named Rambo and Superman incident years ago.

<dirty laugh>

Come on, he sounds like a rough and tumble guy!

Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Any kitten that takes on a jack russel terrorist unprovoked deserves a name like harley. Haha. So glad to hear the little guys doing well!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    Any kitten that takes on a jack russel terrorist unprovoked deserves a name like harley. Haha. So glad to hear the little guys doing well!

Ain't that the truth! And a Dachshund...

Darn tootin, Harley is fitting!

OMG - that kitten is the cutest!!! <3 <3