The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Losing a forever-dog tomorrow

I'm crying as I type this. Tomorrow we are having our 4 year old Potcake, Mojito euthanized. He is a wonderful dog, smart as hell, but is protective to the point of being dangerous. In the last month, he has bitten two people, and the most recent required stitches. The third incident occurred a couple years ago, but was more of a snap then a bite. This last incident was the final straw, as in the same day he also barked aggressively at a child visiting my step father.

Right now my mother and I are feeling a lot of guilt. Was there something we could of done differently? was his aggression some how our fault? He loves the family so much, so in his head he thinks he's doing good.

I took him and our older Golden for a walk through the field and I just stood there, sobbing, as I watched him doing what he loved; running and playing with his 'brother'.

The decision is already made, so I'm just looking for some support from the wonderful COTH community. This is gonna be a difficult night.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

hugs to you, I know, we all know, that you love Mojito and that this is a very difficult decision to make. Its unfortunate that it has to be made, please do not blame yourself. Looking to the past to find hiccups in his training is only going to hurt more. Living in a muzzle, being hyper aware of all his movements, not allowing to "let your guard down" when he is with people is not a nice life to live.

Give him is favorite foods for breakfast, hug him tight while he gently slips away and continuously whisper how much you love him.

jingles to you and yours in this time of difficulty.

What an awful decision to have to make but it sounds like the responsible one. I'm sorry for you. I lost my heart dog about 6 years ago and still can tear up thinking of my little buddy.

I am so so sorry for your situation!!! I cannot imagine anything you could have done, some animals are just more protective and territorial than others. No matter what the circumstances, the go/no-go decision is agonizing. It certainly sounds like love is guiding your decision.

I had a friend go through this same thing. You are not alone. You are doing the responsible thing. Doing the right thing is rarely easy. Enjoy your last day with him and know that we are thinking of you.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Mojito is currently laying beside me, his head on my chest as he sleeps. All day he has been... off, depressed. Its like he knows what is going on.
    MunchingonHay, you are right, life in a muzzle would be no fun for him, and being on guard all the time would be no fun for us.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Many hugs and Godspeed your guy. And don't blame yourselves.

One of my trainers had to do this to a 2 year old dog that was great with people, but death to other dogs. He said it was the worse thing ever. You know you are doing the right thing. Bless your heart. Will be thinking of you.

You are doing the right thing ... if you didn't act responsibly, and the next time he went after a child and the worst happened ... well, I can't imagine living with that on my shoulders.

It sucks that he is so young and healthy otherwise, and is such a love to you. Sometimes they are just born that way, and the best training in the world can't fix it. Don't beat yourself up for giving your best to this dog. It's not your fault that you couldn't fix him. Sometimes they just can't be fixed.

Hugs to you ...

Oh, so sorry for what you are going through. You are definitely doing the right thing. Hugs to you.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oftentimes the harder a a decision is to make, the more you can rest assured that you made the right one. Godspeed.

Default Thoughts and Prayers and TEARS and HUGS for ALL ~

Thoughts and prayers and TEARS and HUGS for ALL ~

Mojito ~ may you feel the love of your family forever ~ and they your love forever as well ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

oh no........my heart aches for you.........many hugs, and prayers that knowing you are doing the "right " thing may bring some peace to you...

I'm so sorry you have to make this awful decision. Being responsible sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

StG

Hang in there...

Massive hugs from Va - so sorry you have to go through this.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

You have my sympathy -- well, empathy -- and understanding. I had my 4yo mixed breed put to sleep after she killed two small dogs, dogs who she was raised with and who were her best friends. We tried a bunch of things including denial but in the end it was too big a liability and no life for her or us.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

God what a horrible thing to have to decide.... I am sorry......You are doing the responsible thing. Thank you and many many hugs

That's painful and heartbreaking and the right thing to do. I put down a healthy, vibrant, loving six year-old pointer mix whose occasional random acts of aggression (canine and human) couldn't be predicted or managed. I experienced grief, but never regret. Good luck with your very hard day!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I hope you are doing alright tonight. I'm sure your dog knew how much you loved him and hoping it brings you some comfort. The right thing to do is rarely the easiest and you are very brave to do the right thing.

~* Be kind to one another *~