The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Is as ludicrous, enraging, and as misguided as the law in Florida which forbids gay couples from adopting children.

Hans and I watched the hour long program exploring this issue -- mostly in tears. How can anyone/state/President possibly justify such a stance?

Is as ludicrous, enraging, and as misguided as the law in Florida which forbids gay couples from adopting children.

Hans and I watched the hour long program exploring this issue -- mostly in tears. How can anyone/state/President possibly justify such a stance?

Man, that really frosts me. Isn't there an address for the governor of Florida that we can all write to about this rediculous law? I really admire Rosie O'Donnell for speaking out about this.

Welcome to the USofA's bizarre moral politicing Heidi.

It's almost like everyone knows that the politicians are full of BS but they feel the need to keep up the facade anyway. There is a huge incredibly right-wing bizarro-religious segment of the US. HUGE. And not too visible in everyday life, but they control a lot of money. When I took classes on evolution in college, there was organized hecklers, distrupting our classes. I mean- get lost.

I am constantly amazed by the c$%p spouted by most mainstream religious figures in the States. Our local paper recently ran an opinion columnist who said that people used birth control pills as a recreational drug!!!!! Yeah, they make you feel really really nauseous, always a popular high. Around here people like to quote the Bible to back up their desire to drill for oil in nature preserves. Funny, in my 12 years of religious schooling, I just don't remember that coming up..

You did know that the Southern Baptists voted to boycott Disney a couple years ago due to their decision to give same-sex couples health benefits (again welcome to America's bizarre belief that healthy people worked hard for the money to afford being healthy and poor people don't deserve it, or gay people, or people living in sin)

Well, Florida isn't known for it's ability to make good decisions... or ANY decisions. I mean, we can't even vote without screwing everything up.

~Erin B #1
    I lost my Yahoo password today, so they asked me to confirm my identity. Easier said than done.

I'm a little confused as to what you're talking about...natural blonde here...please speak slowly.
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

There is, in fact, a website you can go to in order to learn more about this case, and also email Governor Bush (AKA the President's brother) to let him know your thoughts.

www.lethimstay.com

I only hope that the politician they interviewed was specifically chosen because he would make a huge idiot of himself, and make it clear how ridiculous his views are. I certainly hope he is not an average politician in Florida.

Maggymay, I read your comment:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>moral politicing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> as moral poulticing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Though, on second thought, it's a neat theory - pack on some liniment and gauze to the heads of some and suck out their idiocy.

KH, in a nutshell, the state of Florida will not allow gay couples to adopt children. They can be placed in the home of a gay couple as foster children but remain barred by law from adoption.

My cousin and his partner are raising his partners kids.They were removed from the mother for a very serious offense. Good thing they are in Maine and not in Florida. Would they have denied the father's right to parent because he was gay? They are great parents and role models and to deny anyone who is willing to take kids into their home is sad. At least they teach tolerance of all people- maybe some politicians need to go live with a gay couple and get their heads on straight.
    Ugh horse feathers! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

No horse can go as fast as your money does when you bet on him.

There is a poll on the CNN website on Gays and Lesbians adopting Children. It was 47% for and 53% against when I saw it.

It boggles my mind , how with so much cruelty and hatred and disgusting behavior in the world.....that these wonderful children..who have no one to love and care for them would be denied loving caring parents.

I just cannot believe that these wonderful children are being denied such wonderful parents....that is what is happening.

Heidi thank you very much for bringing this up and making it so relevant.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

It sure got my attention!

As did that ridiculous, and I mean ludicrous discussion show last night [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I only caught part of it, but it made me so mad, and frustratingly sick that I switched channels. Did anyone else think that the man hosting the show was embarrased everytime he had to say homosexual? He just looked so sheepish everytime he said it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Interesting that some of you brought up how some of the big religious/conservative groups in the states still react to this stuff. I was talking about it with some friends awhile ago. For such a big forward thinking country like the US, I can not get over how backwards some of it really is.

Your TV stations will show violence ad nauseum, but g*d forbid you show a bit of nudity or say the lord's name in vain and POOF! its off the air [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Apparently Europe is the opposite - will show nudity ad nauseum, but will ban many overly violent shows. Go figure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

But yes, that show last night was hard to watch, and rather sad actually. Well, guess I'll go back into my closet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    You Strike Me Still

Well that seems to be a little bit of backwards thinking. Wether or not someone believes that homosexuality is a sin, a loving home seems by far a better option that an orphanage or jumping around from foster home to foster home. Besides, child molesters are usually heterosexual, if that's the supposed concern.
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

There is so much hatred and fear towards Homosexuality....it is almost unbelievable.

I think it is the treatment of Gays and Lesbian that really opened my eyes to so many problems of biogotry and hate.

I met one of the nicest people I know a few weeks ago at a friends party, we were talking throughout the evening and then he was telling me about a horrible incident in which his nose was literally shattered by some backwoods idiot in the town he went to college in. He was literally waiting for a cab to go back to campus after being out in the town at a bar with some friends and this guy who was with his Girlfriend (probably his sister too!) walked past him and called him a faggot and kicked him right in the face with a steel tip boot. I was horrified, Not that I have never heard of such things...but with all of the places I have gone and the people I have met, this was such a direct link to unimaginable hate..for me anyway, one that I have never experienced....I actually feel differently now about a lot of things. I would not trade my life for anything, well ok maybe a few things!LOL but seriously I truly have been sheltered and out of touch of a lot, I will not say ignorantly but naively.

When I see the abusive parents out there and the children who have no voice and this large resource of people willing to become parents....to care and love a child...it is unbelievable.

Thanks
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Are we all talking about the same show? Diane Sawyer interviewing Rosie O'Donnell and others about the issue?

A few facts from the show, for those who didn't see it:
    There are more than 3000 kids in foster care in Florida who need homes.

The child in question has been raised from the age of 9 weeks by these two men. He and the other kids in the household all had serious health problems when they arrived.

Now that the boy is healthy, the state of Florida is trying to remove him from the people who have raised him for the last 10 years. Legally, they cannot adopt him under Florida law.

Thoughts? Reactions? Comments?
    www.lethimstay.com

I hear a *lot* about why gay's shouldn't be able to have kids/adopt/teachschool/asoasf. In fact, in '93 or so, a professor at the school was FIRED because of his homosexuality.

I stay out of the discussions as I disagree with them entirely, and don't feel like starting a war or making them decide that I'm "bad"... (as an aside, the mormon ex-boyfriend absolutely DESPISED gays)..

At the same time, I can understand where their reasoning is coming from, re: them not being allowed to raise kids, etc (even though I disagree, I understand the reasoning behind THEIR opinion). I don't, however, understand why homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to own horses? Or was that just a subject heading tha confused me????

OTOH, these exact reasons are why I so despise organized religion and the church as an institution. Why preach tolerance and acceptance while judging and restricting???

That irked me. I just don't get it.

OTOH, for a disney funny... I had a boss at one point, and he and his wife HATED Disney and wouldn't support it at all (I believe the ywere baptist..)... because "if you look at the Little Mermaid, she defies her father constantly. It doesn't teach to obey, it teaches to defy" and so on and so forth. I just kind of sat there going "It did?"

BC

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    Lindsay & Chance
    "The problem is not that I am insane,
    it's the everyone else is sane."
    ^^^^Proud member of the DCSC!^^^^
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

This issue is so not horse related why is it posted???

SLW
    "It is I."

Great Forum Title! sure got me to read this thread.
    I watched too and since I never watch much besides Animal Planet and the Discovery channel, I am very glad I stumbled onto this show.
    What seems SO ironic is that the adults who create the rules like Florida's seem to forget the most basic christian rule - that is that the life of the child is what is important. If the CHILD was the center of the debate - really the center - then love, care, home, safety would prevail over ALL OTHER considerations. Rosie was so eloquent on the subject!

So these wonderful caring adults who feel gays should not adopt would rather let these children get booted from one foster home to another (at taxpayer expense - like to point out the money issue for the conservative right) than be with those.....those......those ....loving, caring deeply devoted queers????

WE are a sad sorry lot, we bipeds.....

The way I would see this as horse related, is that the horse world, well the H/J world, has always had a large proportion of openly Gay male trainers. Therefore not only have many riders GROWN UP with a variety of gay adult figures, but Gay men and I am sure Lesbians have established themselves as caring,trusting, involved, dedicated trainers and teachers and in many cases mentors, surrogate parents and role models.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SLW:
    This issue is so not horse related why is it posted??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because its an important issue, and Heidi obviously felt deeply compelled to bring it to our attention, using a very good analogy, if I may so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Who knows, it may be locked any minute, but considering the large amount of insanely fluffy and silly off topic, non-related horse topics that get posted here on a regular basis, I'm surprised you are complaining.

I would take an adult discussion about a serious subject, and how it could relate to our industry over a non-sensical post about "my car died" or "help me choose my next boyfriend" any day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I only saw bits and pieces of this Heidi - but enough to know I didn't want to sit through the rest of it. Ironically, my roomate and I switched over to Will and Grace and watched an episode where Jack is interacting with his son. Interesting eh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:

Your TV stations will show violence ad nauseum, but g*d forbid you show a bit of nudity or say the lord's name in vain and POOF! its off the air [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or you could be like the ABC affilitate that airs here at school--apparently a show on the station featured a kiss between two teenage girls, and the Lynchburg station was the only one in the country that didn't air it. I wonder if a certain right-wing religious leader based out of that city had anything to do with it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I didn't see either show (I too was watching Must See TV), but I'm constantly amazed by the levels of bigotry and hatred that people are capable of. What on earth does that say about someone, who judges others based on who they love? I'd much rather see a child in a home being raised by two people who love the child and one another, regardless of the gender, than see one child raised by hate-mongers.