The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding Barns near UVA

I am not super familiar and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the horsey scene in this area/good H/J barns and trainers. (mainly Hunters/EQ but Jumpers is ok too) I may be relocating and would love some info. Thanks!

The Barracks
    There's coffee in that nebula.

I teach at Brookhill Farm, which is very close to UVA. They do boarding, but also have some great lesson horses for those who don't bring their own horse.
    http://www.brookhillfarminc.com/

Question Belcort farm?

Isn't that down there? A horse I trained ended up there; don't know about lessons, they seem to be a"tightly knit show barn
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Question Rox Denes' baby?

How is roxDenes' baby, now grown up?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I am also interested to hear suggestions.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    I teach at Brookhill Farm, which is very close to UVA. They do boarding, but also have some great lesson horses for those who don't bring their own horse.
    http://www.brookhillfarminc.com/
    +1 for Brookhill! A bit of a hike from UVA compared to other suggestions on here; but not far at all. Great people; beautiful location. They used to be part of the VHT show series (are they still?) & I enjoyed competing there.

Grayson Farm out in Scottsville used to host some HJ shows, but this was a few years back, so I don't know if they're solidly in eventer/dressage land now. It would be an even further hike from UVA than Brookhill but absolutely amazing facility, again great people, and beautiful area. Plain Dealing is next door, but again definitely solidly eventer.

I'm so out of the cville loop now that I can't come up with any more suggestions off the top of my head specifically for HJ. Eventing/Dressage I do know a few more, but sounds like that's not quite what you're looking for.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Default Definitely the closest to UVA...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    The Barracks
    UVA riding team is there. Plenty of good horses and good instruction. Also, you will have the opportunity to go to a lot of A shows if you want to...

I went to law school at UVA. Granted, that was a long time ago (I graduated in 1991), so I'm out of the loop, but I can't imagine not finding a great place to ride or board or show around Charlottesville. The Barracks was great for shows but not where I would want to board (too big for me). I rode (and later bought a horse and boarded) in the Cismont/Keswick area. Cismont Manor took my breath away every time I drove by. Even some of my law school classmates who didn't ride lived in cottages on horse farms. I don't really remember Brookhill (I have a crappy memory for names), but it sounds super nice. (I miss Charlottesville !!!)

The Barracks is huge and expensive, so if you're on a tight budget, dont look there.

I've heard wonderful things about Brookhill and have known a few people that rode there. I believe the pricing is more affordable as well.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

You may want to look up boarding barns on VA Equestrian. Look for barns that have a 434 area code, that will help a little with location.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ames View Post
    How is roxDenes' baby, now grown up?
    IIRC the baby (Poppy?) has been sold.

Poppy, now called "Rose Hill", is great, thanks Carol. She has a lovely owner, and shows in the second years and the occasional derby with Jen Alfano.

And Brookhill is actually about six miles from UVA.

Default Wahoowa!!

Good to get back to my UVA roots.

The Barracks is beautiful, if expensive. And close to the Grounds! Just what Mr. Jefferson would have ordered.
    Please don't hate or discriminate. Chestnut Mares everywhere will thank you.

"Don't let the turkeys get you down."

My farm is about 45 mins from UVA and I have lots of boarders from C'ville. We do mostly jumpers, but have a handful of hunter riders.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA