The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What kind of cart is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFIqO...eature=related

Hi all,

First time posting to the driving forum! Everyone on this board seems so helpful. I am just getting into driving and looking for my first cart. I want to do pleasure/dressage. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of cart this was and perhaps where I could get one? I do not particularly like trapped feeling of meadowbrooks and I would like something a bit more "showy" than an easy entry. This looks like a nice combo of both.

Please no comments on the video. I do not know the person in this video, I just was browsing youtube.

Thanks!

Is it a governess cart? Sorry, I'm not knowledgable.....

This is a Frey Sprint Cart!
    Here's the link, great cart!
    http://www.colonialcarriage.com/item.cfm?id=1070

Ugg! Why do I always have such great (expensive) taste?

Yup, Very nice taste!

Yes, and they ride WONDERFUL, and so adjustable, and well, i love them, so i own one! They come with some options to dress them up, you can either go the wood route of more of a "country" vehicle, or the patent leather route for more fancy. I have the patent leather dash and fenders for show, the nerf bar dash for every day.

Well worth every penny. It is a cart built to last. Save up for it, you wont be disappointed.

However, there are some nice front entry road carts out there made of wood, country carriages USA carries them, but you wont have the adjustability of the Sprint if you hope to fit it to multiple horses, or change horses down the road and want to keep your vehicle. The road carts will be a little cheaper though and easier to find used. I believe someone advertised a used Sprint on the CD-L email list a few days ago, i dont recall what size it was though or the price. Might be worth your while to post on there that you are looking for a used one. These have not been on the market for too long, so it's hard to find them used, but not impossible.
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

Well, now. Isn't that interesting. Looks like they used the patented technology of the Cortland Wagon Company's coil spring road cart (first built 1870) - of which we have an 1872 model - right down to the coiled spring surrounding the modern shock absorber. (Shock absorbers not having been around in 1870).

My cart's coil spring is adjustable - via a bottom bracket - to compensate for the weight carried on the seat. The "Sprint" looks like it is fixed - but that seems to be the only difference.

Seeing this modern update of a very popular 1870's cart really made me smile.

Coil spring is adjustable. (to make it firmer or less). This also lowers the box when you adjust the coil though.

It wouldn't surprise me if Frey copied old ideas. They do a ton of restorations, they've likely seen it all in there and took the best components to put in the sprints design. If anyone is in WI, their show room is amazing.
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

I really covet one of those or one of the Pacific Carriage ones. Have to win the lottery though!

Quote Originally Posted by REDesign View Post
    Ugg! Why do I always have such great (expensive) taste?
    Actually, I was surprised to find it as "cheap" as it is. Top class saddles (either English or Western) cost $3000 or more, so to be able to buy a whole cart for that much seems to me to be a pretty good deal.

So how much for the harness?