The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OH SH*T! IT'S ALIVE!!

I just went to dump my compost pale on my pile - which is a large plastic trash can with holes drilled in the sides (not ideal, but it works)
    I step around the gate ebhind which I parked it...
    I peek over the edge and see something fuzzy...Squirrel, maybe? Must have died or whatever <shrug>

I lift the bowl over the trashcan and turn it over....when the fluff raises it's ugly head and bare it's teeth:
    IT'S A POSSUM!!!

Poor thing had to endure a shower of stale hotdog rolls and coffee grounds...

it looks smallish, so I turned the trash can over, maybe it's gonna scramble...it kinds looked like in the movies...with all the refuse on top of it, poor thing.

(and no I am NOT going to touch it. They creep me out, thank you very much, no go ahead and point and laugh!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The first, last and only time I ever did a girly scream was when I walked into the feed room and came face to face with a possum on the window ledge.

Finding one in my compost bin would elicit a similar reaction.

Got fresh panties?

I'd have done the same wee-girl shriek and fled.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Holy cow! I'm shuddering here at the thought of it! Gross!

I actually find them incredibly adorable, and would have just felt bad for dumping trash on it.

it will probably enjoy the garbage. they do not see well, which is why they show you their Huge mouth. They really are not very fast when trying to get you, b/c like i mentioned, they do not see well. they just want to be left alone. just have to worry about EPM

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Ahhh...poor possum! I love them (we have very little EPM here) and they are actually fairly gentle little near-sighted creatures. I have also given the scaredy pants squeal when finding mice in my feed barrel when the lid was left ajar. EEK!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I'm told possums are not territorial, so with a bit of luck this one will just wander away looking for kedible morsels.

But leave them alone - they can crush a finger like a chicken bone.

One ambled into our moving horse trailer one night. We lept out and thought it was dead (playing possum). My daughter picked it up and we put it in the trailer tack room. (Bad decision). It was pretty long stretched out . When we got home it had moved to the other side of the tack room, so it was not dead. Next day we took it to the wildlife person and asked if they would want us to return it to its old 'hood, but she said they wouldn't care and just wander on, so they released it out back of her place. It had a broken tooth, and some blood, but was fine.

It did not stick around for me to come back with the camera.

Luckily my 'farm' is not near any horses.

So much for thinking you know the wild life in your area....

Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Good timing.

I had a juvenile/young possum end up in my bedroom(!) about a week ago. My theory is that it came onto the enclosed back porch, hid, and slipped inside at some point.

Of course, I didn't find him until about 3:30 a.m. I'd heard some noise in the room, but thought maybe it was a frog in the screen, or even a small mouse. Went back to sleep for 30 minutes, woke up, and heard real noise -- close to my bed. I flipped on the light, looked down and -- in all my blondeness -- thought there was a pink snake hanging off my shoe shelf. Once I realized it was the back end of a possum, I was actually kind of relieved. Possums are easy to catch -- snakes, not so much.

I grabbed my pop-up laundry hamper and scooped him in, then put him outside.

Here's a couple pics of him in the basket:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--...2294699_n.jpeg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...7888734_n.jpeg
    The dude abides ...

Funny how just about anything can be reason to start a thread - he is so cute in the basket, but happier outside I'm sure.

So, Frank - you love your possums - as in possum stew?

Opus, Im not sure I would have been so calm to turn on the light and find a critter next to my bed! But dear Lawd he is super cute!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    Opus, Im not sure I would have been so calm to turn on the light and find a critter next to my bed! But dear Lawd he is super cute!

Kind of like that eye glass commercial with the racoon!

yes, I am very near sighted...it could happen to me!

Bahahaha!! The closest encounter I had with one was when I was a young 'un...like, 10. My friends and I were feeding at our boarding barn, and we caught sight of a possum just chilling in the middle of the old arena-turned-dry lot. Of course, two 10 year old girls, we went FLYING up to the barn and probably screamed on the way up. Either way, one of the other boarder's husbands went out with a lunge whip and used the handle to try and prod the little devil back to the woods, to no avail. Instead it just hissed and bared its ugly teeth. He ended up making a noose with the lash end, roped it around its teeth, and carted it back to the woods where it belonged.

Now, you want to hear me do a girly scream/shriek? Put a rat in my grill. I'm pretty sure I scared the neighbors....half a mile away!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    The first, last and only time I ever did a girly scream was when I walked into the feed room and came face to face with a possum on the window ledge.

Finding one in my compost bin would elicit a similar reaction.
    Me too! Eating dry cat food right there in the feed room and I was in high heels on New Years Eve checking a pregnant mare. Yeah, I know who does that. I wear high heels probably once a year, maybe. I still ran like hell. Then I made my husband go in and get rid of him.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Ahhh! I think they're so cute in a creepy way. But I don't want one near me!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Gotta love the holey trash can composter... it's almost as good as the holy hand grenade....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    So, Frank - you love your possums - as in possum stew?
    Eat one of those filthy things? Are you kidding? I'd as soon kiss a horse's butt. (Insert *yechh* emoticon here)

Looking at one, I get the distinct impression that they are one of God's early lab experiments that went horribly wrong. Kinda like the Wildebeast -- or certain humans.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Once I realized it was the back end of a possum, I was actually kind of relieved. Possums are easy to catch -- snakes, not so much.
    I'm not sure I would have been relieved in either case. Snakes or Possums on my shoe shelf at 3 am would be grounds for house abandonment.

I may be a country girl, but I whimp out real fast with untame critters that move quickly and unexpectantly.