The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default S$%^&#. Finding the toxic insult.

Been a rough couple days.

My 11 year old JRT started feeling punky on Thurs night and by Sat morning was still vomiting and getting weak so into the vet we went.

Blood work came back alarming for kidney failure. BUN of 130 and chreatnine 7. Swollen lymph nodes that came back clear for cancer.

Decide to do ultrasound to see what kidneys look like before proceeding with very expensive and very unpleasant treatment for dog. They didn't look chronically yucky so we went ahead with the flush type thing. (I keep wanting to call it dialysis, but vet calls it something else with a "D" that I keep forgetting.).

Good news this morning was that dog responded amazingly, they will only have to leave her on the thingy until tonight (two days ahead of schedule). Yay! Not just thrilled to still have dog, but to have made the right call/guess with the treatment. I just lost her 15 year old "husband" in January when congestive heart stuff got going. Both dog and I are still heartbroken.

Vet feels confident with rate of recovery that it was likely a toxic insult. And I can't for the life of me think of anything it could have been.

Dog has bad food allergies, so only gets the same prescription food. (Not made by Diamond). Dog only goes out in fenced back yard or on leash elsewhere with me. Dog doesn't get into trash or anything like that. I have a baby learning to crawl, so there is absolutely nothing at floor level that I wouldn't be comfortable with the baby handling.

I'm wracking my brain and I got nothin.

Help?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

First- glad she's going to be fine!!
    Fenced backyard doesn't mean someone can't walk by and toss something in there Or that something poisoned (rat/mouse/chipmunk) didn't crawl in and die back there. I would be thinking that's the most probable origin by reading about the rest of her environment.
    Don't know if you feed treats but there are treats on recall too.
    A little even more scary since you have a little one crawling around, cleaning products? Have you tried anything new recently?
    Kerri

Thanks, KasJordan!

No treats. Only chunks of cooked sweet potato. Dang allergic dog.

Cleaning products. I'm addicted to a non toxic brand. I'd like to pretend it's because I'm responsible, but it's actually because I love the smell. Have used it for years. And...uh...I haven't cleaned more than tidying in about three weeks.

You are right about the back yard. It's one of those neighborhoods that while nice houses, are all stacked on top of each other. I did think for a moment about my neighbor's beagles that bark all day and annoy people. I certainly hope someone wasn't trying to toss something into the noisy dogs yard!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

does the dog go in the back yard unsupervised?

I am asking because kidney trouble sounds a lot like anti freeze...

A preferred method of some people to kill somebody's pet...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    does the dog go in the back yard unsupervised?
    Not usually. When she spends periods of time outside, I am usually out there with her. The neighbor dogs like to bark at the fence and get her all riled up, so I don't like to leave her out there trying to tear her way through the fence. I'm almost always out there to remind her "No, you can't do that". She's definitely a female JRT and that gets her one track mind going.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It's spring. Got any coneflowers coming up or any other toxic plant you can ID? My dog tried to poison himself by munching on a Black Eyed Susan, but we caught it before he ate enough.

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

Did you just buy a new bag of food? Even if it's not made by Diamond ...

Did you just apply a flea/tick prevention topical, perhaps from a new box?

Have you had anyone come to the house who might have dropped something she found? Any home repairs done recently that might have exposed something? (Our HVAC people just came by to check things out and I found kitty playing with a stray piece of insulation after they'd left ...)
    Full-time bargain hunter.

any way she could have gotten some ivermectin? ( horse paste dewormer type). i know this can cause huge issues.

It does sound like toxin... Antifreeze, any NSAIDS? ( rimadyl, ibuprofen, acetaminophen?). Hopefully it's not Leptosporosis...

Good luck,

Lisa

I agree that this does sound like a toxin. With all of the food recalls lately it's easy to lose track of the possibility that any food, at any time can come up *poisonous*. I wouldn't discount the fact that this can occur with the "prescription" foods too. Even though they aren't made by Diamond, the one who makes them isn't the best either.

Have you opened a new bag of food recently? Maybe do some research to see if there have been any other people with problems related to your particular food/manufacturer. Aflatoxin and melamine poisonings have caused the type of illness that your JRT is experiencing. (I speak from experience - we lost 2 dogs, almost lost a third, a few years back from Aflatoxin in Nutro Natural Choice. My vet and I both researched and found hundreds of dogs and cats with the same symptoms from the same Nutro feed).

In any case, I am so glad to hear that your dog is responding to treatment - whew! I hope she continues to improve and makes a full recovery. My JRT is jingling her tags for her.

Default Jingles & AO on the way !!!!

Glad you caught this early ```

I agree with a possible weed/bush being the culprit ...

Jingles & AO for a full recovery ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

The d word was likely diuresis.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    Have you opened a new bag of food recently? Maybe do some research to see if there have been any other people with problems related to your particular food/manufacturer. Aflatoxin and melamine poisonings have caused the type of illness that your JRT is experiencing. (I speak from experience - we lost 2 dogs, almost lost a third, a few years back from Aflatoxin in Nutro Natural Choice. My vet and I both researched and found hundreds of dogs and cats with the same symptoms from the same Nutro feed).

In any case, I am so glad to hear that your dog is responding to treatment - whew! I hope she continues to improve and makes a full recovery. My JRT is jingling her tags for her.
    I opened one in the last two weeks I think. I think it's an idea that bears some thought because it makes the most sense as a suspect. Who is the most prudent to call and question? The place I bought it? Local Vets? I guess I'm buying a brand new bag of food and using that just to be safe.

Thanks for your Jack Jingles . She misses her "husband" who died of old age at 15 in January. I had him already when I got her in Ireland so she's always lived life with him. She's been feeling pretty low anyway getting used to being a widow (and a grandma to my first baby). But when I got her home she pounced on a clump of horse hair that had dropped off my half chaps in the garage like she was hunting it and I knew she was feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    The d word was likely diuresis.
    YES! Thanks, Ghazzu. Can you tell me more about what actually happens with that?

Thanks guys, for all your well wishes and suggestions. I'm so glad I decided to go ahead with it. They really did right by me at the vet too working around a pretty small budget.

Here is the girl with her husband about a year ago. She's the tri color. And the chubby one. She's not anymore. We worked on that.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1z4995c.jpg

And here they both are in a kitty meeting situation. You can see the old man (who had a little dementia going on) was a bit behind the 8 ball on what was going on.

http://i46.tinypic.com/zm15zn.jpg
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

How is your girl doing? I hope she's on her way to a full recovery. I definitely agree that you did the right thing by treating her aggressively in hopes of beating whatever it is that got her.

My little JRT is still jingling for her. My girl was born in Ireland too, on a horse farm. Aren't the Irish Jack's the BEST!!!

Have you been able to find out anything about your dog food being a possible source of the suspected toxin? What brand of food was it? I agree with throwing out that bag and either getting a new one (of a different production lot) or changing foods altogether if you're not sure about it maybe being the cause of her illness.