The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default nutrition value of wheat grass???

we drove past this beautiful field of wheat in the "grass stage" and my BF asked "what if we could get bales of that?".. got me wondering if we could feed wheat grass to the horses

does anyone know of this?

Just like oat hay and just like oat hay, you have to catch it in the right stage somewhere between milk and soft dough stage of kernel formation. The problem with wheat is most varieties are now awned rather than plain bare heads. I did get a couple of bales of hailed wheat for bedding one year and the buggers ate it over their good hay and thrived on it, so it has good nutrition, but I have my reservations about a farmer letting you cut and bale his cash crop
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Like oat hay, can be a very good quality hay. You will find it in abundance in places/years where hail has ruined the prospects of a grain crop (where hail has broken off the stem that will head on much of the crop) and it is made into hay to mitigate losses. Other years it will be nearly impossible to find, because the farmers will let the wheat cure for harvest of grain, at which point all you have is straw.

Note that it is not an ideal forage green, especially not given as unlimited pasture. Will even tend to founder ponies and horses that tend toward IR.

Wheat (the grain crop) as hay as you mention it should not be confused with the grass species called wheat grass (as in, crested wheat grass)--which is a grass hay forage common in mixed high-quality grass hay from the Dakotas, among other places. This is a true grass hay, nice pasture staple, sought after in a grass mix hay.
    At all times, we are either training or untraining.
    Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trabern View Post

Wheat (the grain crop) as hay as you mention it should not be confused with the grass species called wheat grass (as in, crested wheat grass)--which is a grass hay forage common in mixed high-quality grass hay from the Dakotas, among other places. This is a true grass hay, nice pasture staple, sought after in a grass mix hay.
    yea, this is what we were thinking. I was reading that the crested wheat grass is drought resistant too. there are some areas in my pasture where we were thinking of planting.

do you think it would be okay to add to your pastures?

I've got lots of crested wheat here. The downside is it is a clumping grass rather than turf forming and can make a pasture awfully rough if it ever floods as the water washes dirt away from the clumps, leaving holes. The upside is horses love the stuff and it makes lovely hay if you catch it at the right stage.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Crested wheat grass, especially with other grasses, makes a fine pasture and great hay.
    At all times, we are either training or untraining.
    Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/