The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question New horse dream!??!

Ok well maybe I'm going to get a horse Saturday my family and I are going to see her!! She hasn't been under the saddle long 2 but with no one under it. Do you think it's possible that I can train her and get her jumping by the end of summer it's my goal(:
    She's a mare 4 years old Arabiancross

Quote Originally Posted by Squekers998 View Post
    Ok well maybe I'm going to get a horse Saturday my family and I are going to see her!! She hasn't been under the saddle long 2 but with no one under it. Do you think it's possible that I can train her and get her jumping by the end of summer it's my goal(:
    If we know what she knew and what you know we could give a much better answer.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

"She hasn't been under the saddle long 2 but with no one under it."

^What does that mean? That she's had a saddle on her back but not a person?

No.

That sounds like an unrealistic goal for a presently unbroke four year old and a kid. I hope that if you do get this horse, you have a trainer who can help you a LOT. A four year old, unbroke horse is a BIG project, even for experienced adults.

You may want to suggest to your parents that you try out horses that are least 10 years old and fully trained already for whatever you want to do.

I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, and I'm sure the right horse is out there for you somewhere, but from the little bit that you have posted here, I don't think this sounds like the right horse for you and I would be concerned for your safety if you try to pursue your stated goals with this horse.

It might be a good idea for you to share the responses you get to this thread with your mom and dad so that they can help you find an awesome horse that you can enjoy.

Default Be careful... please

Get an older horse for your first horse. I have had my first horse for about 7 years now and he is almost 20!! He has taught me so much since I've had him and I have been able to do a lot of different kinds of things with him because he has taken care of me!! I would have never been able to do what I have done with him if he was a green horse.

(By the way, I was in my 20s when I got this horse and I had been riding for many years before I got him. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been riding, but I am just offering my personal info for comparison)

I have another horse that I got a few years ago and he is GREEN. In fact, he was unbroken when I got him. I can tell you that he has been work, work, work! I'm not saying that I haven't had any fun, but it has been an uphill climb at times, sometimes, for weeks. In addition, I had a trainer break him and then I got a LOT of lessons before she cut me loose with him to give him ride time.

Don't let an unbroken horse be your first horse! Go get an older horse that has been around the block a time or two that you can have fun with 90% of the time. I'm not saying that you will never have a bad day, but the possibility of having a bad day is a LOT less likely with an older horse than it is with a GREEN horse.

Good Luck!

Also, I would strongly caution you against buying a horse without the help of a trainer!