The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Raw oozy wound....from flies/gnats?

Last week (just as the flies and gnats started to really come out around here) I noticed a nasty, open sore/wound on my horse (who is out 24/7), under his belly, up by his sheath, about the size of a quarter. Gnats and flies were congrataing there. Gross.

I cleaned it up with Betadine and put Swat on it and it started to clear up. But if I dont put it on daily its get nasty again.

Are the flies causing this? Or is it something else and flies are just making it worse?

Either way, is there something else I can do to prevent this, or is a daily dose of Swat my only/best option?

Fly Spray alone down there doesn't seem to prevent it...
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I would guess it is a tick bite (meaning, the reaction to a tick bite) and the flies are congregating as they do with any broken skin. Yes, SWAT is the best thing to keep the flies off the wound while it heals.

Hmm..I didn't consider ticks. That's a good point thanks.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Try AluShield. It will stay longer than an ointment. And keeps flies and gnats away.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Yep, ticks. Has happened to two of mine. Scabbed over and finally healed after daily applications of swat. Havent had any more since I frontlined!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I get it from fly and gnat bites. That and that he scratches his belly while sitting, using his rear hoofs to scratch his belly. I will clean it then I found using human "off" works better than the fly spray.

When we have similar issues we use the Cold Laser on the area of concern. Cold Laser treats the issues on a cellular level, causing the body to heal itself. Its faster and a less expensive way to keep your horse healthy.
    Check out our web site and feel free to email if you have any questions.
    www.Midatlanticequinerehabcenter.com

Knat can make a crusty round spot too. I second the Alushield. It coats over it and the bugs will leave it alone. It is dry so it doesn't cake up with dirt and crud like swat does.

chicamuxen

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    When we have similar issues we use the Cold Laser on the area of concern. Cold Laser treats the issues on a cellular level, causing the body to heal itself. Its faster and a less expensive way to keep your horse healthy.
    Check out our web site and feel free to email if you have any questions.
    www.Midatlanticequinerehabcenter.com
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

thanks everyone, for your input. I will go get some Alushield.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

My horse gets this... it's sweet itch (at least for my guy).. allergic reaction to gnats. I used a tea tree lotion and that seemed to help my guy tons. I started putting swat on his belly at the beginning of the spring to try and stop it from forming this year.

EquiSearch has a good article about it: http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car...eqsweetitc378/

My TB is prone to getting this kind of stuff. The last 2 summers it was on his belly under the girth area (thankfully he is retired). I scrubbed with Betadine a few times and then covered it with Swat every other day. If I skipped a few days the area would start to get oozy and gross again. It might've been originally caused by a tick bite but flies definitely kept the area irritated. So far it hasn't been a problem this year, although his sheath area has gotten gross somewhat. He also will sometimes get small areas on his chest that get oozy and buggy, but go away in a few days if I use Swat. I don't think these areas could be caused by ticks, he's never come up positive for Lyme and the only time I've had a horse react with swelling/oozing is with deer ticks.