The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it worth supplementing her?

I recently moved my mare to my trainer's barn. Before the move she was a pretty lazy horse, would fall asleep at the drop of a hat in the cross ties, while being ridden, etc. She was lazy, required a lot of leg, and in general had a dopey personality.

The first month that I had her at my trainer's barn she continued her dopey personality. She was known for her laziness, and my trainer even asked if she could use her for one of her disabled lesson students.

In the past couple of weeks she has done a 180. She has become very attached to a gelding that is pastured next to her. At first it was cute, but it has become a bit of a problem. I took her to a show two weeks ago and she became a raving lunatic. It took 6 hours of lunging, riding around, leading around, lunging some more, riding some more to get her settled down enough to go into one class at the end of the day. At the show she suddenly started rearing and has continued rearing anytime she thinks she should be done being ridden, is being corrected for something, or can't see her boyfriend. When I got her home it was very clear that she had come into heat. She started being very vocal all the time, and has no regard for the fence when it comes to offering herself up to the gelding. She also started having no regard for any human handlers. After several days of re-schooling her on the basics of "my bubble" versus "her bubble" she has settled back down in that sense.

She has become very reactive under the saddle, but was are also finally getting somewhere. Her gaits have really cleared up, we have a distinct western jog and a distinct english trot, no more trying to sit a bouncy english trot, or trying to push her through a wog. She is carrying herself on her own on a lose rein, she is driving from behind and consistently keeping her belly lifted. She hasn't reared in the past two rides, though she has for sure lost some of my trust. Every time she lifts her head above "normal" I can't help but tense up and prepare myself. I hate rearing with a passion.

My trainer suggested that I start her on a calming supplement or a mare supplement to get her regular and to help us get through the show season. I am not sure exactly what I should even put her on. I was thinking mare magic, but there are so many options. I am also wondering that sense things are settling down in regards to the rearing if its worth putting her on something. She is getting better at leading, but is still very vocal and very flirty all the time.

Anybody have any wisdom to share?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Just wanted to add, she is up to date on everything. She did just get a new english saddle, but there is no question as to the fact that it fits her, its almost like it was made for her. She sees a regular chiropractor, and just had a reproductive exam done last fall. She came away squeaky clean, and I was even told that she is still breeding sound at age 18! If her next heat is as strong I will look into getting another exam done.

She was always the bottom of the pecking order before, now she is alpha mare in her herd of three. She was pastured with the a gelding before I moved her to my trainer's barn but he beat the snot out of her, and she never showed any attachment to him or the other mare that she was pastured with. In fact it was the two of them that freaked out when she was pulled out of the pasture, she could have cared less what they did.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Sounds like something has changed. Is she getting less turnout, is she in a smaller turnout?
    Could it be a change of food?

1. Separate her from her boyfriend (by much more than a single fenceline)

2. If she is still anxious & unhappy after a week, use Regumate, at least for a month or 2 to get her over this issue. If it's worth "supplementing" then it's worth TREATING.

3. When she goes back to her old happy self, then focus on the training. Now you know she has the gaits you want, so treat it like a training issue.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince