The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

not MY business to know...

but as a barn owner/manager/trainer who DOES know CPR and would be your first responder, I think it would be a kindness to tell me.

That being said, I know that I would keep your request to myself...but many people LOVE to gossip. So It would depend on how trustworthy your coach/barn manager is.

You're welcome at Flight Check Farm anytime.

Well, I'm going on 14 years and I'm still going strong! Thanks!
    i am so blessed...Martina McBride

I also voted for the "tell one person" choice, although in the horse world, it seems like telling one person is usually telling the world. You will find out who your friends are, and hopefully your friends are well-educated and compassionate. I'm sure riding is very therapeutic for you; you don't need any stress or issues to screw it up. We are almost the same age, and I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you. Welcome to the boards, and you are welcome to ride with me anytime! Congrats on addressing a subject that I don't think has been discussed on the boards yet, but is definitely worthy of discussion.

Welcome Wild Filly. I think that what was said above makes sense. Due to the risks involved in riding someone needs to be aware of your medical status. I would say the same if you had any condition that could require special attention. A friend of mine who rides is diabetic. If (God forbid) she was knocked unconcious in a spill her pre-existing condition should be made known to medical people. The same is true in your case.
    Anyone who is in the position of administering medical aid to you shpould be made aware. What Lamb said about your readiness to be open to talking about HIV is important. If you are not ready, you still have to assure the safety of those around you.

Welcome to the bb. BTW, you really didn't give much time for responses before making a follow-up about the "acceptability" of the topic. The bb is very busy but 20 minutes or so is not much time, especially at a time of daywhen many peeps are in transit.
    I think you'll find a welcoming and accepting group here. We have a huge cross section.

Resident racing historian
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My barn manager has a medical information sheet on everyone. We started doing this after one of our barnmates was kicked in the head while grooming her horse. She was seriously injured and stopped breathing while the paramedics were on their way. We were completely unable to locate anyone to call and did a lot of thrashing about trying to find her son, make sure her cat was fed, telling her office, etc.

She did have a miraculous recovery.

I also keep a copy of this sheet in my trailer.

People can have HIV, or HepC, or a number of nasty illnesses and not even know. The right precautions are important for treating anyone. Wild Filly, you should tell people you're comfortable telling. I didn't announce to my barnmates or even my family that I was pregnant right away. Some things just don't want to be public until the right moment.

The medic-alert is a good solution if you want to make sure anyone treating you knows, but you don't want to make an announcement. Besides, think of all the people who might come across you that you wouldn't have met or mentioned it to? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif It's not like our everyday introductions go, "Hi, I'm Suzy and I have type 2 Diabetes." or "Hi, I'm Jen and I'm a hemophiliac on Prozac." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

As many have said, you'd be welcome to come riding with me anytime. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Personally, I think it would be best to tell the one person who you trust the most on each ride you go out on. And/or the medical armband is a good idea.

I admire people like yourself; you seem incredibly kind and optimistic despite the problems. Stay strong. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")
    We ride and never worry about the fall ..
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all.
    (Tim McGraw, "The Cowboy in Me")

Sorry for the early assumption, it's just that my heart was racing and I thought I wasn't welcome. The response has been warm and friendly.
    Thank you,
    Faith

Wild Filly...Welcome to the boards, and bravo for having the guts to broach this subject. My brother married my sister in law knowing she was HIV pos. She passed away Christmas eve in 94. They got to spend too few years together. She never told us she had it and by the time we found out, it was too late. I wish she had allowed us to support her and be there for her. So while telling people must truly be a GIGANTIC leap of faith, it also allows others to show you that they love you for who you are and be there for you. As far as telling riding buddies, I'd say yes, if you are with them often. Just so if something happened they could be safe. If anyone reacts negatively, I just figure that they are either uninformed on what it is or just flat out not the kind of person I would want to be around. The first kind, you can educate, the second, avoid.
    Best wishes for good health!

I admire your courage Faith. It must be very difficult to experience the fear involved in telling people. I'm glad that you are continuing to ride. Also, your concern for others potential exposure is laudable. Please do all you can to remain healthy and strong. We like to keep our members around here on COTH. See the threads on Aiden to view a tremendous outpouring of love.

Resident racing historian
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

ok jetsmom, I'm bawling!!! You guys are blowing my mind!

Jetsmom, can I ask you a question?

Nothing fancy at all. I ride English, but keep to the trails. I have one horse who is very kind to me.

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Hi Wild Filly! You're so brave to bring this topic up, but I think it is very important to talk about.

Yes, I think if you are trailriding with someone they should know you are HIV positive - just in case you have an accident. That way anyone who responds to the accident can take appropriate precautions and treat you effectively.

I'm allergic to bee stings, so I tell everyone I go riding with. If I get stung, there is only a short amount of time to act. It's important that the people around me know about this medical condition. I do ride with the bee sting kit on my belt.

If you're ever in Vermont, would love to take you out on the trails. I've known many people with AIDS or are HIV positive. You'll be in my meditations tonight. Bless you!

Hallie McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC

Welcome - and congratulations on 14 years !!

As others have said, I don't think it's your responsibility to tell people, but if you can tell people - and/or if you (and all of us!!!) can generally educate your (our) barn about universal precautions it would be a good thing.

Almost all of us need more first aid training than we have, actually! Never mind blood, for a minute, but how many people know what would be appropriate response if any of us were unconscious or unable to communicate on the trail? Most bleeding would rank pretty far that as a concern...

Sorry, not to detour the discussion, but the way I see it, it's all of our responsiblity to have some education to deal with first aid issues, and once we accept that responsiblity, we learn about how to treat everyone, and take the burden from you...

Happy trails!

Wild Filly, Sure! You can email me if you'd like it to be private, or you can ask away (my email is BVande1671@cs.com.)

Jetsmom, is your brother still negative?

I think you should tell the people that you feel comfortable telling or that are directly responsible for your care. But I don't think that the guy who has a horse four stalls down from you has any business knowing, or needs to know, unless, of course, you want to tell him. My barn has a medical file with emergency contact information that is available in the event of an emergency -- maybe your trainer or the barn manager has something similar. Or, if you feel strongly about it, you can put the information on a medic-alert wristband or armband -- available at Bitofbritain or Dover. But you don't need to broadcast it to the world, unless you want to.

You go girl. Kick on.

Welcome Wild Filly!

Lots of great info & support posted on this thread. I also would go with telling one specific person that you'd be riding with. I wouldn't make a public announcement...just a specific person on trail should know & then a trainer--incase anything happened in the arena. Bravo to you for being brave & best wishes for many, many, many more healthy years to come.

"Fate is what happens when you don't take charge."

You are going to think I have the most unhealthy family, but my brother died of liver cancer in Aug 97. He was negative for HIV. They had unprotected sex a couple of times before they found out that his soon to be wife was HIV positive. After that they practiced "Safer sex". He would get tested every 6 months or so. Always negative. As I understand, it is harder for a man to get it from a woman than vice versa. He was her caretaker for her when she got really sick, and took the usual precautions. (Please don't take what I said to mean that unprotected sex is ok for anyone.) Just realize that just because you are HIV pos, it doesn't mean that you won't find a wonderful life partner later on. I kind of like to think that maybe my brother's purpose in life was to love Marie, and be there for her, and when she passed on, then he went later to join her there.
    I just wish that the advances in treatment had been there for her when she had it. By the time she was diagnosed, she was already having problems. Now, they can do so much more.
    Keep riding, and enjoying yourself. Don't worry about what people might think. There are alot more understanding and generous people than there are ignorant ones.