The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

This thread is a good reminder that we never know what other people are dealing with and suffering with and everyday. We all have struggles, some of us more than others but we all have to deal with what life throws at us. Let's keep jingling real hard for Aiden, Dublin and all of us who are dealing with serious issues known and unknown.

Formerly greengrl

"We like to walk..."

[This message was edited by Treat Wench on Jan. 30, 2003 at 09:52 AM.]

\"Horse sense is what a horse has that keeps him from betting on people\"
    W.C. Fields
    1880 - 1948

This is a very interesting thread. It is true we never know what people are going through, even our closest friends.

I have always been so supportive of AIDS charities and causes, The Whitman Walkler Clinic here in Washington is a vital service that I urge all in the area to donate time to, since they are constantly in need of volunteers. There are countless AIDS and HIV resources throughout the country, of course resources and availability do vary depending on location with of course the rural areas sometimes having to struggle with adequete resources. In addition to volunteer work now, in college I worked with a group that would spend time, mainly holding and visiting AIDS border babies. It was an amazing experience.
    Since AIDS has devastated the Equestrian community due to the large percentage of Gay men in the sport, the formulation of the "Equestrian AIDS foundation" and events like the Middleburg National horse show which benefits the foundation as well as "Food and Friends" project, are just a few examples of the excellent work being done.
    This is a horrendous and cruel disease that must be erradicated, unfortunately certain populations are seeing an increase in HIV contraction and attitudes are changing due to prolonged life with HIV medications and the "younger" generations are almost unaare of the horror and the sheer hopelessness that this disease caused when it first emerged.
    I think it is admirable and shows a lot of courage that you would tell the people you ride with. It really shows bravery. Unfortunately I cannot also say that those you tell and confide in will show similar bravery and compassion. There are still so many misconceptions, and maybe rightly so after all people have the right to fear what is incurable and possibly fatal, but being cautious and self preservation is not the same as bigoted and ignorant. Sadly if people can turn away from a family with an ill child, they will turn away from a disease surrounded in so much misinformation.
    I am so sorry that you have this on your shoulder and wish there was something I could say to make you feel more confident in being the caring person you obviously are with this issue. If you really feel you should tell people that you ride with for their safety, that is admirable, but unfortunately you will also have to deal with the responses and reactions that may catch you off guard.

There is simply no cure for AIDS and it is truly a plague that WE must stop.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Thank you Moesha, you sound like you are very well educated in this area. You obviousley have great compassion and good advice. Thank you.
    Whittman Walker Clinic is a lifesaver and helps anyone afflicted with this disease.
    I didn't know about the Equestrian AIDS Foundation, where would I get more info on them?

I'm thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain...JoDee Messina
    i am so blessed...Martina McBride

Hi Wild Filly,
    Here is the link to the Middleburg Classic Horse Show web page. A beautiful horse show that is for the benefit of "Food and Friends" Which is organization dedicated to helping those with AIDS/HIV and other life threatening illnesses have access to basic food and health, and the "Equestrian AIDS Foundation."

http://www.middleburgclassic.com/

As for the Equestrian AIDS foundation there are many shows and concerts that benefut this great cause you can do an Internet and find many resources unfortunately I do not believe they have a website?

Here is the link for "Food and Friends"
    http://www.foodandfriends.org/

Here is there goal.

"Food & Friends prepares, packages and delivers meals and groceries to more than 1,100 people living with HIV/AIDS and other life-challenging illnesses such as breast, lung and colon cancer throughout Washington, DC and 14 counties of Maryland and Virginia. For more than 14 years, Food & Friends has provided food and companionship to our clients, their loved ones and caregivers."
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Thanks, I appreciate the info. This BB has so many nice people! It's very nice of you to work with these great organizations and give your time. It takes very special people to do that.

Wild Filly,
    I wish you the best of luck, and if there is anything that you need to talk about you can email me at bayladymoesh@hotmail.com I am not an expert by any means nor a counselor or scientist, but really find your conern for your friends at the barn admirable and so selfless.

And I think I can speak for everyone in saying Thank you for the compliments to the people on the BB.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Hi:

This is a very interesting topic. I would inform the barn manager, fill out a medical sheet and alsooo wear a bracelet. Having major medical issues and being disabled, I always speak with the barn manager prior to enrolling in lessons because of the liability issues related to their insurance.

Kelly Toukatly

I can be reached at stayin_alive_2000@yahoo.com, please feel free to contact me too.

Great. and Kellyt's idea about the bracelet is a good one. I just hate to think of people's cruel or wrong reactions.

And by the way JoeDee Messina is great "Stand beside me" is one of my favorite songs. The summer of 1999 we used to listen to it all the time going to shows over and over again, especially driving to Culpeper!
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrel:

One of my co-workers stuffed a pair of latex gloves in a film canister and gave one to each of us. You can easily do this for your purse, car, tack box, wherever. For those who know they would jump right in to help regardless of risk, you can buy a CPR mouthpiece from First Aid supply places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great idea. I'm going to put a canister with gloves in my glove compartment right next to my CPR nouthpiece.

In the truck is always my husbands EMT jump kit wo we've got everything there. Luckily, the times we've gone by accident scenes and have stopped it's been in his truck.

(Then i'll also have them the next time I want to pull a mane!!)