The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chapped lips help

I'm looking for some suggestions on preventing and treating chapped lips.

I've suffered my whole life with easily chapped lips. I've tried just about every brand at the stores. Either they don't protect or seem to rub off easily.

Any great brands to try? Thanks.

Carmax (sp?) the yellow tube with the red lid.
    Blistex as a second

Nivea facial cream, the stuff out of the blue tub....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Me too, and I have a terribly habit of chewing on my lips, which just makes it so much worse.

I use this stuff from The Body Shop and it's amazing. Be sure to put it on before bed.

Staying hydrated also goes a long way toward keeping my lips un chapped.

Drink lots of water.

I buy a little jar of a wonderful product called Letibalm and it works wonders. Not sure if they have it in your area, but Neutrogena has some good lip balms too.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

This is gonna sounds nuts, but bear with me.

Your lips can get addicted to lip balm. Truly. When you overuse lip moisturizers, the glands that provide internal moisture cease to work, resulting in chapped lips allllll the time. You're gonna have to either wean yourself down or quit cold turkey.

I learned about this back in the 80's when Linda Carter was touting the new Lip Quencher lipstick, with built in moisturizers. My mom used LQ every day, 3 times a day and --yup-- chapped lips. Constantly. I read an article in NewsDay newspaper (from Long Island) that mentioned lip balm addiction and told her about it. She stopped the LQ and all lipstick for a week. The problem resolved.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

If you want an inexpensive lip exfoliator, mix Vaseline with fine grained sugar and rub on lips 2-4 x's a week. I keep mine in a small glass dish in the refrigerator - feels nice and cool!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    If you want an inexpensive lip exfoliator, mix Vaseline with fine grained sugar and rub on lips 2-4 x's a week. I keep mine in a small glass dish in the refrigerator - feels nice and cool!
    Also honey + sugar works well as an exfoliant.

For REALLY badly chapped lips. I use aquaphor.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I agree with Chocomare. Your lips can get addicted.

I use Burt's Bees lip balm exclusively.
    Dreaming in Color

I got hooked on Carmex, and had to apply it constantly or my lips cracked and bled.

The Essential Oils Company makes a really nice lavender lip balm that I like...or just straight up vaseline (with out fragrence).
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyIsles View Post
    Also honey + sugar works well as an exfoliant.

For REALLY badly chapped lips. I use aquaphor.
    I will try that tonight! Thanks!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I will try that tonight! Thanks!
    It also works on your hands and nose too (my nose gets really raw and sore in wintertime)
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Aquophor is my go to product. I wish they had a no mess applicator...

A gentle rub with a damp towel/wash cloth helps to keep them soft. I've found that helps a lot.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have this problem off an on a lot too, mostly related to changes in the weather (it comes along with super dry hands and feet.) My favorite solution right now is Boots Cocoa Butter balm. I think they have a few different scents, but it works wonders for me. Most balms soothe my lips for a few hours but leave them just as flaky and irritated as before, if not more. Not this one!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

I use blistex medicated. I've been using chapstick multiple times a day for about 14 years. I'm probably addicted, but i dont usually have an issue if i don't have it for a couple days. Like others mentioned, make sure you're.drinking enough h2o.

I love this lip moisturizer from Sephora. It's a bit pricey, but worth every penny!

http://www.sephora.com/sugar-advance...3#BVRRWidgetID
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I absolutely love Carmex Moisture Plus. I've tried nearly everything else and have never had much success. It comes in clear, or lightly tinted shades.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I use neosporin. Tastes terrible and its very thick, shiny, etc. so you want to be sure that you rub it in well before going out to the barn or out to dinner, etc. but I've tried TONS of different lip balms and plain neosporin works really well.

I got into it b/c I had braces and my already sensitive lips (easily chapped, easily cracked, sunburnt, etc.) got SUPER sensitive with the 3x a day vigorous brushing/flossing/etc that comes with caring for a mouth full of metal. I started getting cracks at the edges of my mouth, down the middle...ugh. It was painful. Quit using regular lip balm, started using straight neosporin for the anti-bacteria benefit (open sores around the horses makes me nervous, ha!) and found it worked wonders.

I use it 3x a day now, after I brush. I keep a tube of cuticle cream (Burt's Bees) in my bag and one in my car for the times I can't use reg. neosporin.

I don't know anyone else who uses either cuticle cream or neosporin on their lips other than me, but my lips have never looked or felt better. Now that they are really well moisturized, they even look bigger!

Also, I have dry skin, when I lived in Wyoming and Montana, I had to carry a tube in the pocket of my jeans and reapply constantly. OP, I feel your pain! Now that I am back in the south, I use it much less and hardly at all in the summer (super humid).
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Anything with tea tree oil in it. I find that these products heal my chapped lips within two or three applications.

I have used and liked equally:

Eco+Lips "medicinal" - this one is marketed as a cold sore treatment (just ignore that part)
    Desert Essence Lip Rescue "Therapeutic with tea tree oil"