The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

It seems as though I read that Roberto, Buckpasser, and Blushing Groom turned out good jumpers or event horses. Anyone know about this? Thank you.

It seems as though I read that Roberto, Buckpasser, and Blushing Groom turned out good jumpers or event horses. Anyone know about this? Thank you.

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

I can attest to Buckpasser and his sons, particularly Buckfinder. They're harder to find these days though.
    Also Cox's Ridge.

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
    Benjamin Disraeli, Sybil, 1845

Another yes on the Buckpasser line. I have a grandson and have worked with 3 others and they are all good jumpers and good temperaments. These are all by the same sire and unfortunately he is deceased also.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Toadie's mom.......who was that sire?

Free- he was State Dinner, primarily a TX sire
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

but there are quite a few TBs in this area that are Nijinski grandkids out of a sire named Speedy Nijinski.
    They are big lunks to look at, but absolutely CATLIKE over big jumps, fearless and with great calm temperaments.

BarbB
    charter member BEQS Clique & Invisible Poster Clique

...virtue shall be bound into the hair of thy forelock... I have given thee the power of flight without wings. - The Koran

I have a Roberto grandson and a Buckpasser granddaughter. I didn't know the breeding on either of them when I bought them, but oddly enough, both look exactly like the 'typical' horse of thier respective lines.

Buckpasser won on dirt and turf but he won most of his races by less than a length. This was because he would pull himself up once he got in front. His riders had to time their move perfectly. He also hated to train. As a stallion, he's best known as a sire of mares. For more info, and a good conformation photo see:
    Buckpasser page

The typical Buckpasser look is 16 hh, very compact, powerful, uphill. They're known for being hot. Silver Charm is a Buckpasser grandson. VDL Stud in Holland (a major SJ place) stands a BP grandson named French Buffet. He competed at the GP level in Europe and is a full TB.

Roberto was a son of the wonderful Hail to Reason. There's a photo of HtR on the Del Mar Pedigree site that shows what these horses tend to look like -- lean, somewhat lanky, a back that is as high as the withers (gives you the feeling you're on a much taller horse), handsome rather than pretty, more of a steeplechase look.

If I were looking for an eventing TB by pedigree, I'd look for the Roberto line. Our gelding is careful and talented enough for straight SJ and could be quite competitive in the 1.40m classes. He's easy to work with and train (unlike my mare who was apparently born knowing everything) and did his first Training HT within 5 months of starting training over fences. His dressage is relaxed and quiet (again, unlike my mare). We can take him out in the huntfield, too. Denny Emerson wrote a piece for the Chronicle on this line a few years ago; it may be in the archives.

I haden't heard that before but....I have a gelding by Runaway Groom...Blushing Groom grandson. He came off the track last year and is doing Prelim already. I am sure he will be an advanced horse (hopefully like his stablemates!!). I would love to hear any more info on Blushing groom. He is the most balanced and talented horse I have had so far.

JER,
    I was looking on AGDirect, for Roberto related babies, just out of curiosity. And found this little guy, I'm not in the market for a baby, but check out his markings!!! Does that not look like a jumping horse on his shoulder???
    Sorry sort of off topic, but I just had to post!

http://buyhorses.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1035136519&0

Just sold a son of State Dinner as mentioned above. He's a big boy too. Handsome and athletic. I've never had a Buckpasser but he was nice.
    As I said in a prior thread, I LOVE the In Reality line. Very talented, good minded, hard working horses.

Good, Better, Best.....the best don't rest until their good is better and their better is the very best!
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

jenarby.......I have been compiling a list of (mostly) sires that turn out decent Event horses so that I will know what to look for in pedigree searches. And believe you me, "In Reality" is on that list!

I didn't think this was a very good pedigree, but I don't know much about it.

{I,S} *Princequillo 40
    {C} Prince John 53
    ch Not Afraid 48
    {B,I} Speak John 58 =Tornado (FR) 39
    b *Nuit de Folies 47
    b =Folle Nuit (FR) 40
    Thunder Puddles 79 Traffic Judge 52
    ch Delta Judge 60
    dk b/ Beautillion 53
    Big Puddles 71 Warfare 57
    ro Mountainville 64
    ro Safe Home 57
    Thunder Rumble 89 Nearctic 54
    dk b/ {B,C} Northern Dancer 61
    b Natalma 57
    {C} Lyphard 69 {B} *Court Martial 42
    b Goofed 60
    ch *Barra II 50
    Lyphette (FR) 78 Balladier 32
    b {B} Spy Song 43
    br Mata Hari 31
    Miss Diplomat 64 *Stella Aurata 49
    dk b/ New Star 56
    b Challedella 46
    OUR LAST NICKLE {C,P} *Ribot 52
    Dark Bay or Brown Mare {C,S} Graustark 63
    Foaled March 13, 1997 ch Flower Bowl 52
    in Iowa {B,C} Key to the Mint 69 {I,S} *Princequillo 40
    b Key Bridge 59
    b Blue Banner 52
    Plugged Nickle 77 {I,C} Tom Fool 49
    b {C} Buckpasser 63
    b Busanda 47
    Toll Booth 71 {B} *My Babu 45
    b Missy Baba 58
    b *Uvira II 38
    Lucky Nickle 87 Sunglow 47
    dk b/ Sword Dancer 56
    ch Highland Fling 50
    {I,C} Damascus 64 {B} *My Babu 45
    b Kerala 58
    b Blade of Time 38
    Miss Damascus 70 =Wyndham (GB) 33
    ch *Windy City II 49
    ch =Staunton (GB) 40
    Windy Miss 59 Reigh Count 25
    gr Ray Count Miss 47
    gr Valenciennes 27

Breeder: Doug Bruce (IA)

Inbreeding: *Princequillo: 5S X 5D Dosage Profile: 7 4 14 1 0
    *My Babu: 5D X 5D Dosage Index: 2.25
    Center of Distribution: +0.65

(SPR=26; CPI=0.1)

RACE RECORD USA AND CANADA

08/31/02 16:36:38 Â*ETÂ*Â*Â*Â*Equine Line Product 11B - Our Last Nickle Â*Â*Â*Â* Page 2 of Â*2 Â*

YEAR AGE STARTS 1ST 2ND 3RD USA$
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    1999 2 1 0 0 0 0
    2000 3 6 0 0 0 2,100
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOTALS 7 0 0 0 2,100

~Small Star~
    http://www.geocities.com/staroftoday32

~Speed\'s my thing, pain my game, sports my life~
    ~The easy way out is for the ones who will win today, but the right way is for the ones who will win the rest of their lives~
    ~You call your own s

How do I make the spaces stay in her pedigree??? When I go to edit it they are all there and I post and PUF their gone!

~Small Star~
    http://www.geocities.com/staroftoday32

~Speed\'s my thing, pain my game, sports my life~
    ~The easy way out is for the ones who will win today, but the right way is for the ones who will win the rest of their lives~
    ~You call your own s

the sire of Kim Severson's Over The Limit? I know I've seen him listed as the sire of a Rolex horse.

Robby

I see a stairway so I follow it down
    Into the belly of a whale
    Where my secrets echo all around ...
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

The spacing is probably not going to work out here, so try adding her to the Del Mar pedigree database. Go here: http://www.dmtc.com/pedigree/

Can't really speak specifically to eventing, but just "as a Thoroughbred" this is not a bad bloodline at all. Plugged Nickle has black type top & bottom 3 generations back, and classy stuff at that. Thunder Rumble is a chef de race with winnings over a million.

The names I would want to see in a TB sport horse are pretty much there... Ribot, Buckpasser, My Babu of course <g>, Tom Fool, Damascus... Nothing to be ashamed of here, in fact I'd say better than average!

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Jobless Clique, Lawn Ornaments For Life Clique, Jigging Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

would be known as a sire of dams because (if my short term memory serves) he passed his large heart, which he recieved from his mommy Busanda, on to his daughters, who would then give it to their sons 50% of the time. Ideally, you would want him in the tail female line.

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

I'd be pretty pleased with Our Last Nickle's pedigree. Looks like everything you want in an event horse!

As for Buckpasser, I'm biased, but I'll take him anywhere I can get him! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Benjamin Disraeli, Sybil, 1845

I am just learning, but there plenty of sires on there that I have on my list. As far as pedigrees goes, I would say that his is pretty darn good.

The trouble is that what looks good on paper doesn't always get them around a course. There are so many other things that factor in. Sitting in a vets' office one day I overheard two TB breeders discussing the intricasies of breeding and finally one said that after all of the careful planning, in the end it was really just "a crap shoot". So when I get TOO excited about finding a hot pedigree, I remind myself of what he said. It's the performance that counts and in Eventing you just have to watch as they climb to the next level. You never know 'till they get there. (But those pedigrees do help.)

I had a Buckpasser grandson that I evented a little- I second the compact, hot , great jumper opinions! He was a cute little guy who would jump anything and in style, but out temperments did not mesh well. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****