The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Glucosamine causes the death of pancreatic cells

Brought to my attention today:

Public release date: 27-Oct-2010
    [ Print | E-mail | Share ] [ Close Window ]

jean-francois.huppe@dc.ulaval.ca
    418-656-7785
    Université Laval
    Glucosamine causes the death of pancreatic cells

This release is available in French.

Quebec City, October 27, 2010—High doses or prolonged use of glucosamine causes the death of pancreatic cells and could increase the risk of developing diabetes, according to a team of researchers at Université Laval's Faculty of Pharmacy. Details of this discovery were recently published on the website of the Journal of Endocrinology.

In vitro tests conducted by Professor Frédéric Picard and his team revealed that glucosamine exposure causes a significant increase in mortality in insulin-producing pancreatic cells, a phenomenon tied to the development of diabetes. Cell death rate increases with glucosamine dose and exposure time. "In our experiments, we used doses five to ten times higher than that recommended by most manufacturers, or 1,500 mg/day," stressed Professor Picard. "Previous studies showed that a significant proportion of glucosamine users up the dose hoping to increase the effects," he explained.

Picard and his team have shown that glucosamine triggers a mechanism intended to lower very high blood sugar levels. However, this reaction negatively affects SIRT1, a protein critical to cell survival. A high concentration of glucosamine diminishes the level of SIRT1, leading to cell death in the tissues where this protein is abundant, such as the pancreas.

Individuals who use large amounts of glucosamine, those who consume it for long periods, and those with little SIRT1 in their cells are therefore believed to be at greater risk of developing diabetes. In a number of mammal species, SIRT1 level diminishes with age. This phenomenon has not been shown in humans but if it were the case, the elderly—who constitute the target market for glucosamine—would be even more vulnerable.

"The key point of our work is that glucosamine can have effects that are far from harmless and should be used with great caution," concluded Professor Picard.

The results obtained by Picard and his team coincide with recent studies that cast serious doubt on the effectiveness of glucosamine in treating joint problems.

###
    This study was co-authored by Mathieu Lafontaine-Lacasse and Geneviève Doré.

Information:
    Frédéric Picard
    Faculty of Pharmacy
    Université Laval
    418-656-8711 ext. 3737
    frederic.picard@criucpq.ulaval.ca
    Link to orignal article: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-gct102710.php
    Last edited by caballus; May. 13, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Here is the free full text:

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or.../208/1/41.long

This study was in vitro (in glass- not a living organism) , using 5-10X the recommended dosage. I take and have given my animals glucosamine. No way can I afford 5X the recommended dose.

Excerpts from the conclusion:

"The relevance of this novel mechanism remains, however, to be demonstrated in vivo or using isolated islets. In addition, compared to that of other established HBP-induced pro-apoptotic pathways, the relative contribution of this molecular mechanism to overall cell death is still to be clarified. "

Oh boy.

5 to 10 times the recommended dose? Well, drink enough water and that's toxic, too.

First I've heard of it.

I've got an oldster dog on a pretty good dose. Probably not necessary.

Thanks for posting this.

It seems that the Moral of the Story is use this medication (and, indeed, any medication) in the approved fashion.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Type I diabetes is not an issue for horses. Destruction of islet cells is what causes type I, not type II, which is the type of metabolic disease that has parallels in equines.

Moral of story: too much of anything is probably not good. Most supplements are very poorly studied. And humans are not horses.
    Click here before you buy.

Anecdotally, there have been reports of IR horses crashing when put on a glucosamine.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I always warn diabetic humans that used in excess it may monkey with their blood sugar as well.
    Click here before you buy.

Is this only in relation to orally given glucosamine or also when doing Adequan, the loading dose could be considered aggressive, correct?

None, Lieslot. The study was in-vitro with lab grade glucosamine, not any neutraceutical or drug. No connection can be made as noted in the conclusions of the paper.

Additionally Adequan is not the same a glucosamine. There are differences in the structure and molecular weight.

The paper is a study of a specific metabolic pathway and CANNOT be directly related to a thing in large animals (multicellular organisms). The OP posted this as a trolling thread given that this study can not be connected to organs.

Reed

The paper is a study of a specific metabolic pathway and CANNOT be directly related to a thing in large animals (multicellular organisms). The OP posted this as a trolling thread given that this study can not be connected to organs.
    Or didn't understand fully what they were reading and assumed it meant something else entirely.

Although despite that...it still may show up in an E-book soon as a fact.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Might give me pause for a human taking it for 50 years, especially where it is finacially easier to overdose, not so much for a horse that gets it for 10-20 years at an often underdose level (according to one of my vets). Plus, it in vitro, which is a good start, but is basically a pre-pre-study to get ready to do a study!

I have an easier time believing there might be a correlation between our modern joint therapies/medications and equine sudden death incdents, than a correlation between glucosamine and diabetic horses. I don't actually know anyone that gives a horse daily insulin injections

Let me get this straight.

If I give a horse 10X the amount of a substance that I cannot even obtain, then he won't develop a disease he can't get.

Alrighty then.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

If I give a horse 10X the amount of a substance that I cannot even obtain, then he won't develop a disease he can't get.

Alrighty then.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

.... if you put his pancreas in a petri dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    .... if you put his pancreas in a petri dish.
    Correction, so long as you only put cancerous (transformed) islet cell in the petri dish. Even the pancreas is too complex.

I don't know enough to comment, but I would want to see studies on glucosamine and blood sugar, I guess. I'm sure they're out there, but I'm not sure that this is one of them. And, how does that affect horses?
    Last edited by Ambitious Kate; May. 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/