The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lymph nodes swelling/ tick bites?

Hello. I have a mare who has hard as a rock egg size swelling under her inner thigh, right up in the crease. The also has several others in the general udder/groin area that are not quite as big but still hard. She is not sensitive on them at all. I did pull a large tick from the area about a week ago, but the area was already swollen and hard up at that time. The lumps seem to be able to move, meaning, they can move a bit (not attached to bone or other tissues).

I have been putting swat and melacula oil on these areas.

Do you think this could be infected lymph nodes, possibly from a tick bite or irritated by bugs?

Antibiotics/SMZ's in order?

Thanks for any thought on this.

They sound like tick bites to me; plus they are in an area where ticks like to bite. If they are tick bites they will be very itchy -- scratch one and if your horse acts ecstatic I'd say that's what they are. If it is a tick bite I do not believe they are swollen lymph nodes; they are not infected, so no antibiotics would be called for. They are like giant itchy mosquito bites. I put cortisone cream on them to help with the intense itchiness, and it helps with the swelling too.

Quote Originally Posted by heidicald View Post
    Hello. I have a mare who has hard as a rock egg size swelling under her inner thigh, right up in the crease. The also has several others in the general udder/groin area that are not quite as big but still hard. She is not sensitive on them at all. I did pull a large tick from the area about a week ago, but the area was already swollen and hard up at that time. The lumps seem to be able to move, meaning, they can move a bit (not attached to bone or other tissues).

I have been putting swat and melacula oil on these areas.

Do you think this could be infected lymph nodes, possibly from a tick bite or irritated by bugs?

Antibiotics/SMZ's in order?

Thanks for any thought on this.
    Tick bite reactions like this are commonplace. We've got names for 'em: Water Balloon, Bullet Hole, you've got The Angry Node. I usually try hot compresses for a few days, and you can ask your vet about some Banamine. I try to hold back on using SMZ etc. unless I really have to; lots of these tick reactions are the horse's immune system kicking in and in my experience most are self-limiting. If it hangs around more than 2 weeks, or the horse is really bothered, let your vet take a look.

Default Thank you both

Thanks to you both for responding. I do tend to think they are tick reactions as well but I will say she is non-reactive when I scratch them directly, but LOVES to be scratched anywhere else in the vicinity.

I will try to ho compress though, very good idea. Thanks!