The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

?

Jess
    Jess

Are we Really Sure about what happened now?

I still don't want to believe that this Wonderful horse is gone.

Does Anyone have an update on Bruce's condition??

going to bed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

BarbaraG
    GWV

Oh my. This is awful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Poor Bruce and his family, poor Mr. McKay. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I don't know what to say. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-Anne, the owner of a PrettyFilly and a WildArabianStallion-
    "Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine."

They were amazing as a team.

all I can say is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-- Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daydream Believer:
    I have to agree with Badger...a horse shouldn't have to pay with it's life for one bad step or mistake. If this horse did break his neck than that makes two that I know of...Mark's horse at Rolex this Spring being the other. Both horses very experienced and wonderful. I was at Southern Pines this spring and one advanced and one intermediate horse each were put down there. There's got to be a way to make eventing safer for the horses and the riders for that matter. At least a rider knows what risk they are taking unlike the horse who trusts their rider and does what his rider asks. Perhaps it's time to make breakaway fences that will come down when hit hard enough...I mean you almost never hear of such a bad accident in stadium. I'm sure someone here will disagree with me and yes, it will change the nature of the sport, but if we don't make some changes voluntarily, I think we will be forced to eventually. At this point in my life, I can honestly say that I'll probably never compete above training and maybe prelim. I just think it's getting too technical and risky at the upper levels. JMHO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've posted the same sentiments, so you're not alone. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] (Well, except for the fact that I don't event at any level any more and I wasn't at Southern Pines. I only posted about the deaths after that event.)

"I can justify anything!"
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Okay JesslynW,
    I am just trying to be helpful. I did not see that the information was already posted!

The accumalating fatalites show that there just is not enough margin for error. Both horses and riders WILL make mistakes. Neither are machines, neither will be perfect every time. But there MUST be room for a mistake to be made without causing so many fatalities to horse or rider. Mistakes should be punished, whether by penalties or runouts or falls or what have you, but having four horses in less than five months in the US pay the ultimate price for those mistakes is not acceptable. For the sport to survive there must be a greater margin of error between "clean" and "dead." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Don't take life so seriously...it's not permanent.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daydream Believer:
    Mark's horse at Rolex this Spring being the other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression his horse fractured his spine/pelvis. Is this not accurate?

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Robby,

What I remember reading was that the horse broke his neck flipping over a fence during the heavy downpour. I got the impression that the mud and rain were contributing factors and his fall lead to a lot of the riders scratching, understandibly. I was not there however, and you may be right. I just tried logging into USEventHorse to reread the article about Rolex, but it's no longer there. Sorry, I hope I'm not putting out erroneous info about Mark's fall. Can anyone verify what happened to Mark Weissbecker's horse at Kentucky?

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

Regarding the horse at Rolex. I saw a report after the fact that the horse had apparently thrown its back shoes prior to the jump they crashed at. So it didn't have enough traction at the next fence. I don't know that this was the definitive answer but only the latest I had read about it.

What was the composition of the fence at which Bruce and High Point crashed? I'm interested as in the frangible fences that are being tested can not be used in all jump types.

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."

Titliest broke his neck between the 4th and 5th vertebra after loosing his hind shoes (I was there, per the official press release from ROlex).

It should be pointed out one of the horses at SOuthern Pines (I was there also) did not recieve his fatal injury as a direct result of the problem of the fence. He had stopped and slid into the ditch, and was fine. However, as he was getting out of the ditch, he slipped with only one leg out of the ditch and broke the out of the ditch leg. Not exactly the same type of injury as the others we are speaking about.

The frangible fences have been tested with good success in England, first in a lab setting using a fake horse, and also at least once now in "real life" (they've been in place at several horse trials, but a horse has only fallen on one once). Horse and rider walked away well, and the fence was back up and operational within 5 minutes. The current issues about the frangible fences/pins is how to adapt them to a variety of fence types (because we don't want to only jump round log oxers), how to make them affordable for all organizers, and how to potnetially score such faults--as many of us know, event horses aren't generally believed to need to be knee-snapping, never toucha jump type jumpers. If we start faulting "rails" on cross country, that will significantly change the sport.

But, frangible fences are coming, and will in the future I think be an integral part of it. However, it would be foolish to rush this, and make a mistake that causes more problems and falls and injuries than prevents them.

But keep in mind, every frangible fence in the world won't prevent the thousands of freak accidents that kill thousands of horses in every disicpline every year. And if you say that this is different because we're putting them in a dangerous situation, keep in mind that if we never put them in stalls or fenced-in fields, then we'd save a whole lot of horses who die every year after fence and stall related traumas, far more than who die on cross country, I promise you.

I'm glad that frangible fences are being explored, and I'm confident they will be a good solution for the future. I don't for a second think it means no more horses will die--not just in eventing, but in every discipline.

What a huge tragedy for Bruce and the connections of High Scope. His owner emailed me a couple of months before Rolex and asked me to profile the stallion on my local CTA's webpage, which I did...I fell in love with him from the pictures and the story, and I vividly remember sitting up at 2am at Tintagel Castle in Southern England in September 2000 watching the Olympic 3-day (they showed the WHOLE thing in the UK--was up all night!) and seeing that beautiful gray make nothing of that course. So sad that he is gone; I'd half planned to breed to him if I decided to breed Kelly again.

I hope Bruce recovers safely, and that this won't spark another huge wave of anti-eventing sentiment. I think there was a reference to the "frangible" fences in the article by Cindy Collier (can't remember her married name) in the USEA magazine last month, that they seemed to be working out well in the UK. Like every "new" technology, there will be bugs, delays, and endless skepticism, but hopefully the "visionaries" will press on and there will be another tool we can apply vs. the dangers of the sport.

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
    www.deltawave.homestead.com
    www.seeliecourt.homestead.com
    Click here before you buy.

Yes, Deltawave, Cindy's article does reference the frangible fence and there was also a piece in Eventing (UK) magazine, too.
    (Married name Rawson!)
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

"I can't say enough good about High-Scope, be it his disposition, jumping ability, approach to work and day to day handling. He is the nicest horse on this earth; what more can I say" (Bruce Davidson, 5th Feb 2002)

I'm deeply sorry about Bruce's injuries, Barbara's feeling of having let folks down (you didn't GWV, heat happens!) and for the loss of High Scope.

I really really hope they had High Scope's semen collected and frozen.

Hang in there Bruce! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Does anybody have an address where a card could be sent?

"Dream as if you'll live forever, and live as if you'll die tomorrow." -- James Dean

What a terrible accident. My thoughts go out to the owners and Bruce. Hope he has a thorough and fast recovery.
    Barbara (GWV!)---I worked at my barn doing stalls on Sat. and I live in MA----It was H-O-T! Don't feel like you let anyone down! I nearly passed out and felt nauseas from the heat as well---it was just a terribly hot humid day. Your spirit and enthusiasm is amazing to me---don't be down. You always are a great help and a very supportive person (we need more like you!)

Me fail english? That's umpossible.
    -Ralph Wiggum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

We made it to Over the Walls later in the day then I had planned. I didn't hear anything about Bruce's accident, though I noticed that he didn't go on his prelim mount.

Barbara, please take care of yourself. It was an incredibly hot day, and this lovely event site did not have much shade. Sorry that we didn't get to meet you, perhaps later in the season.

Lany

Barbara, the G could stand for Goddess too!!

I'm so sorry for Bruce and the horse and everyone involved. And I hate for an animal to die like that.

I'm all for always thinking of ways to make the sport safer and I'm glad the USEA works on this, but.......BUT....now here's a can of worms. I'm not so sure that horses don't understand the risk. Understanding risk is what keeps animals alive. It's what makes horses spook and bolt....yikes, dark spot on ground could be a HOLE. It's what makes horses stop at a fence. No, they cannot rationalize and think about "what if" but instinctively, animals will think about risk. Life is risky for them. Statistically, an event horse is more in danger from your everyday risks- lightening, founder, WNV, EPM, pasture accidents, stall accidents, etc. etc. etc.

What a glorious animal he was.

It's so easy to laugh; it's so easy to hate; it takes guts to be gentle and kind.... The Smiths
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Thank you bgoosewood!

I really think we should be a whole lot more interested and concerned in the condition of Mr. Davidson at this point than rehashing some of this other stuff at this time. He is a dean of our sport and this may very well be the end of an era. My prayers and thoughts go out to him and to Buck, Nancy and the rest of his eventing team.

I'll wait to sound off on the other until he's at least out of the hospital!