The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Dont you live by your tag line??? They are mortal too!!! Just more experienced and more talented. We do this because we love it and our horses! Lets keep this in perspective. We dont know anything yet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Those who would give up
    essential Liberty, to
    purchase a little temporary
    Safety, deserve neither
    Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin
    Franklin, 1755
    Founding member of The Fossils over Fences Clique!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've known Terry for years, and she is NOT a person who would post information she was not sure about. She and her daughter were jump judging the Advanced water (obviously an experienced and trusted duo) and I know they were there all day. As much as I hate to admit it, I think her account of the event is probably accurate. How horrible, and terribly sad for Bruce and the owners of this lovely and accomplished stallion. He had a wonderful future in store for him!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Since I am not a SOMEBODY I am sorry that I shared.

I was not dissing you in any way. I was simply responding to people who were confused by the conflicting stories, and I knew that Terry had been THERE, for a first-hand report. Your report was the same as Terry's, but you didn't say where you got your info. I was just saying I thought Terry was a reliable source, esp. since Barbara went home early in the day.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

I have to agree with Badger...a horse shouldn't have to pay with it's life for one bad step or mistake. If this horse did break his neck than that makes two that I know of...Mark's horse at Rolex this Spring being the other. Both horses very experienced and wonderful. I was at Southern Pines this spring and one advanced and one intermediate horse each were put down there. There's got to be a way to make eventing safer for the horses and the riders for that matter. At least a rider knows what risk they are taking unlike the horse who trusts their rider and does what his rider asks. Perhaps it's time to make breakaway fences that will come down when hit hard enough...I mean you almost never hear of such a bad accident in stadium. I'm sure someone here will disagree with me and yes, it will change the nature of the sport, but if we don't make some changes voluntarily, I think we will be forced to eventually. At this point in my life, I can honestly say that I'll probably never compete above training and maybe prelim. I just think it's getting too technical and risky at the upper levels. JMHO.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

I'm so sorry that free was unintentially offended by Mary's post that I feel I must jump in here.
    I am hardly a somebody, just a ponyclub mom, but Mary and I have know each other for nine years and we have become friends through our daughter's riding.
    I don't have any new information about Bruce and High Scope but I believe that what free and I posted earlier is essentially the case. I heard roughly the same story from numerous sources, two of them eye witnesses, yesterday afternoon. I understand Barbara's post also. When the incident occured, a little before 10:30 yesterday morning, and there was a long hold on course, Nicho (the Announcer and controller) announced that Bruce had perhaps broken something and was being taken off to a hospital and that the horse was taken to stabling. The announcer was being very diplomatic, he didn't mention High Scope's state, leaving me and perhaps a lot of other folks to believe that the horse was ok. When I was first told that High Scope had died immediately, I didn't want to believe it either, but then I heard it again and again, finally from my daughter's trainer, who is a very reliable source. He was an adorable stallion and I thought it was so neat that he did so well in eventing. I even suggested that my daughter's trainer breed her TB mare to him (unfortunately she didn't, she goes for the TB stallions).
    There must be someome reading this forum who is way more qualified than me to fill everyone in on what happened. Beth Rasin, of the Chronicle, was at Over the Walls, so I believe we will have the whole story eventually.
    I am so sorry to be the bearer of such horrible news.

Terry and her daughter were closer than my husband and I to the scene of Bruce's fall with High Scope at OTW yesterday.

I *Really* needed to come home. Beyond the heat, *Mother Nature* is playing her little games with me. I didn't want to cause a scene, have people laugh, or something..."This old woman can't take the heat, Ha-Ha!"

I still feel Lousy, for *That* reason And for having to leave this Wonderful event.

Bruce Davidson brought me into this Sport, so I owe him a lot.

Mary, do you remember that day at Groton House!?

He has Always been Very Sweet and Wonderful to me. We saw him before the fall with Apperition, his other Grey, and we joked for a while.

Since we really don't know anything and I can't really do anything, I feel worried and frightened.

I am trying to rest, but I'm cleaning the house like a madwoman! Something to do.

I hope no one here thinks me a coward for leaving. I really love my riders.

BarbaraG
    Great and worried Warrior Volunteer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Barbara, of course you're not a coward! WHat good are we to our children and horses if we can't take care of ourselves first? It was horribly hot yesterday (believe me who was putting up fencing at the new barn instead of at OTW like I wanted to be). I'm glad you're feeling better now.
    I too am feeling frightened and worried, I need to know what happened to this horse. I was at the Cheshire Fair all this morning announcing for Ring 2 and didn't know what had happened! Now I feel like pacing the house, not knowing what has happened!
    Grab mane and kick on!

be said about the courage and steadiness of Holly Hepp...who was the very next rider to go after Bruce. No matter how professional you are, it has to be unnerving to be the very next in line after a tagedy of this magnatude, but it says a lot about her that she kept herself together and handled it so perfectly.

Nigel, the announcer did a very diplomatic job at keeping things calm and without chaos. With the amount of people there and other riders on course holding, he did his job professionally and with tact. Kudos to him, the other riders, Buck and the Davidsons stable help for there behaviours. I'm sure that perhaps later in the day today, when stadium wraps up and people have a chance for some "down time" we may get more info. Though by all accounts, it was one of those freak things, expieranced pair, great combo, but accidents happen to all of us. It can happen on a gallop through the woods or out hunting just as well.

I am very fond of Bruce and I felt my post did not belong on this thread.
    Have started another thread instead.

I apologize.

fernie fox
    "I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

about how they are coming out with new collapseable jumps. They will collapse when hit with a certain amount of force at certain areas, say if a horse literally crashed into it, but not if they hung their back legs. And as i learned this past weekend when going down a drop a horse hangs their legs naturally to slow themselves down **. They really need to start building these jumps!!! High Scope was an awesome horse and i pray to God that they have some semen stored away to pass on his blood lines... he was the only stallion at the 4* level, and i would've LOVED to have bred a mare of mine to him... someday when i have my own mare [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~laura~

member of the ~*~leasing a horse b/c i can't afford my own clique~*~ and the *~*Michigan clique*~* and the ~*~BBers at night clique~*~

There is something about jumping a horse over a fence,
    something that makes you feel good. Perhaps it is the risk, the gamble. In any event it's a thing I need. ~William Faulkner
    "Do you care, or don’t you care? Because if you do care, you better speak up now or take what you get."
    — Denny Emerson www.savethe3day.org
    **proud member of the trakehNERD group**

Thanks, subk and Eventamy for your kind words to me.

I am feeling better. Hopefully, we will have a full and correct report about Bruce and High Scope tomorrow from someone at COTH.

BarbaraG
    Great Warrior Volunteer

The horse broke his ribs and punctured a lung. He was put down.

Bruce broke: His collarbone, shoulder, ribs, pelvis and punctured and collapsed a lung. He is currently in ICU.

Since I KNOW where you got your info from I didn't doubt your word one bit. I'm heartbroken that yet again the eventing world has suffered a loss. I did try to email your home email address but it keeps coming back to me. I sure hope that young un' of yours got around ok?

Nancy

The organizing committee of the Over the Walls Horse Trials put out this statement yesterday afternoon:

Over The Walls Horse Trials 2002
    Hardwick, Massachusetts

Press Statement
    Saturday, August 3, 2002

Today, at approximately 10:20 AM, at the Over the Walls Horse Trials, competitor number 80, Bruce Davidson of Unionville, PA riding Mr. Neil McKay�s High Scope, a thirteen year old stallion, fell at obstacle four on the cross country course.

It is with great sadness that we announce that High Scope suffered a broken neck and died instantly. This was the only horse fatality in the history of the Over the Walls Horse Trials, and the organizing committee wishes to extend their sympathy to Mr. McKay and Mr. Davidson.

High Scope, ridden by Trevor Smith, represented Ireland at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.

A doctor and a paramedic team in attendance at the time of the fall examined Mr. Davidson. He was transported to the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, Massachusetts, where he is being treated for injuries suffered in the fall.

Mr. Davidson, 52, has twice won the World Individual Championship in the sport of Eventing, and was twice a winner of the team gold medal in the Olympic Games. He was competing in the National Advanced Horse Trials Championship.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

for a full recovery. He will be layed up for some time with those injuries. So sad about the stallion. It can happen to anyone at any time, even jumping over a small 2 foot fence at home. It is the nature of the sport. Accidents can and do happen no matter how well trained our horses are or how experienced the rider.

"Those who would give up
    essential Liberty, to
    purchase a little temporary
    Safety, deserve neither
    Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin
    Franklin, 1755
    Founding member of The Fossils over Fences Clique!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

That's horrible. He was my favorite.. a magnificent animal. RIP High Scope, and hoping for a speedy recovery for Bruce. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-Amanda

As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time -Cake

My strong best wishes for Bruce, who has certainly dealt with injuries in the past - but that's a lot of injury for "someone who isn't 20 anymore".

I can say that UMass Worcester has a wonderful trauma team. A family member with terribly life threatening injuries did real well with them. Bruce is in good hands.

Over The Walls Horse Trials 2002
    Hardwick, Massachusetts
    Press Statement
    Saturday, August 3, 2002
    Today, at approximately 10:20 AM, at the Over the Walls Horse Trials, competitor number 80, Bruce Davidson of Unionville, PA riding Mr. Neil McKay's High Scope, a thirteen year old stallion, fell at obstacle four on the cross country course.
    It is with great sadness that we announce that High Scope suffered a broken neck and died instantly. This was the only horse fatality in the history of the Over the Walls Horse Trials, and the organizing committee wishes to extend their sympathy to Mr. McKay and Mr. Davidson.
    High Scope, ridden by Trevor Smith, represented Ireland at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.
    A doctor and a paramedic team in attendance at the time of the fall examined Mr. Davidson. He was transported to the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, Massachusetts, where he is being treated for injuries suffered in the fall.
    Mr. Davidson, 52, has twice won the World Individual Championship in the sport of Eventing, and was twice a winner of the team gold medal in the Olympic Games. He was competing in the National Advanced Horse Trials Championship.