The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

We were there and heard he went down...possibly broke a hip...and two rumors about the horse, one that it was fine and one that it had flipped at fence 4 and broken its neck. Does anyone have any real info on this? Buck was riding his britches of all day...lots of multiple rides.

We were there and heard he went down...possibly broke a hip...and two rumors about the horse, one that it was fine and one that it had flipped at fence 4 and broken its neck. Does anyone have any real info on this? Buck was riding his britches of all day...lots of multiple rides.

I heard that his stallion, High Scope, broke its neck and is dead and that Bruce did have a broken hip as well as collerbone and some other lesser injuries as well as a collapsed lung. They were supposedly going for long when the horse added a stride and chested the jump, flipping over it. The jump wasn't a bad one, just bad luck.

but the earlier thread:

http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/Op...5&m=5733077536

indicated a # of people who post on this board were planning to be there to watch or volunteer, so I think someone knows what happened. Obviously they aren't posting!

www.rougelandfarm.com Home of TB stallion Alae Rouge, sire of our filly Rose, ribbon-winner on the line at Dressage at Devon.

Rouge's quote: "To err is human, to forgive, equine" (from a Pony Club refrigerator magnet)

I was at Over the Walls today, at the end of Cross-Country. We were giving out water to the riders and collecting pinnys.

I know that High Scope was injured and taken back to his stall.

I Know that Bruce was taken out, to the hospital I spoke to one of the EMT's Buck told me his Dad may have broken his collar bone.

*But* that's all I *Know* for certain.

Until there is an offical report no one can be sure of anything. Rumours are not facts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

BarbaraG
    GWV

Gaby and I were fence judging at the water jump for the Advanced divisions (jump 15 A-F) and did not see the fall at fence 4. There are a lot of rumers floating around and it will probably take a little while to sort everything out. I heard that High Scope hit the jump and flipped over, launching Bruce into the air and than landed, rolled or something on top of him. I have heard that the horse died immediately and that Bruce is in the hospital with a broken rib and hip (or pelvic bone or something). A terrible, terrible tragedy. I feel so sorry for everyone connected with the horse and Bruce Davidson. It makes me want to hug all my ponies, kids, trainers, basically everyone I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarbaraG:
    I was at Over the Walls today, at the end of Cross-Country. We were giving out water to the riders and collecting pinnys.

I know that High Scope was injured and taken back to his stall.

I Know that Bruce was taken out, to the hospital I spoke to one of the EMT's Buck told me his Dad may have broken his collar bone.

*But* that's all I *Know* for certain.

Until there is an offical report no one can be sure of anything. Rumours are not facts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

BarbaraG
    GWV<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the horse dead or alive, and is Bruce expected to recover? This is terrible news. I just hope The GWV's information is more accurate.

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I feel terrible for Bruce and his wonderful horse. I hope Bruce isn't hurt too badly...hopefully the horse didn't break it's neck. I will jingle a few curb chains while we wait to find out.

It has been a tough year for upper level eventing hasn't it?

Sharon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

Any information on other rider's at OTW?

The website has not been updated with current standings.

Could someone please tell me what GWV stands for?

Great Warrior Volunteer (I think). Correct me if I'm wrong Barbara

~Run fast, Jump high. What else is there?~
    ~Run and Jump!~

Free--Barbara is one of those rare and wonderful birds who does not ride but has found a place for us ungreatful eventer in her heart! She volunteers at serveral events a year and is an organizers dream come true--you can put her at the hard jumps with every confendence!

GWV does indeed stand for Great Warrior Volunteer!

I left the grounds of Over the Walls after the accident happened. My husband and I were having a nice bagged lunch. When an alarm went off in my head, "Barbara, this is your brain calling, you are sick."

Not wanting to make a scene, (members of the Ground Jury, including Joe Silva were at the next table) I got up and walked over to one of the amblences parked close by, I told one of the EMT's I felt a little light headed.

He "invited" me into the back of the rig, He was very sweet, asked the usual med. questions, Town, age. etc.

My pulse was going nuts, I was feeling Really loopy. The Emt put the fans on. Shut the doors. I tried not to do something stupid, like faint, or lose it. Took my blood pressure. Bouncing.

I asked him about Bruce. Bruce did fall and moving was painful so they packed him up. He was talking.

Going home was the Best thing for me. My day was *Over* It was before 1:00 p.m. when we left.

I Really hate to leave an Event, to leave my riders, but it was Very Hot out here today

and the heat won!

But, really that's all I know about Bruce and High Scope. Rumours were already flying around and everyone seemed excited. Given my condition, nothing made sense.

We drove home, I've had a nap, a shower and a light supper. Tomorrow I should be fine.

Still, I feel a bit like a coward, like I let the side down. Still drinking lots of water.

I hope Bruce and the horse will be ok too.

BabraraG
    GWV [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I must say that regardless of the outcome, Buck handled things and "carried on" beautifully. Either of the two scenarios presented are not great and he rode on well. The course appeared to ride very well, and organization was at optimum performance. Despite the heat. Keep the info coming so we can get the true story. Tough day in the horse world, what with Victor passing and this...
    Thanks all.

HIgh scope is one of my favorite horses!!!! NO!!! he is alive, i can feel it! my psychic powers that are connected with his brain, and have been ever since i first saw him and fell in love at Rolex this year... I pray for him. I PRAY THAT EVERYTHING IS A-OK!!! the poor boy... *sniff* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

member of the ~*~leasing a horse b/c i can't afford my own clique~*~ and the *~*Michigan clique*~* and the ~*~BBers at night clique~*~

There is something about jumping a horse over a fence,
    something that makes you feel good. Perhaps it is the risk, the gamble. In any event it's a thing I need. ~William Faulkner
    "Do you care, or don’t you care? Because if you do care, you better speak up now or take what you get."
    — Denny Emerson www.savethe3day.org
    **proud member of the trakehNERD group**

High Scope is one of my favorites, too. Somebody out there HAS to know what happened. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

-Amanda

As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time -Cake

Sorry to say, but I've heard the same thing twice now.

And the connected people that we cant find out for sure! Someone must know!!! Is High scope the grey horse?? I'm a bit behind on my advanced horses as I didn't go to Rolex this year! Come on where can we find out?? Certainly found out about Marks horse at Rolex this year easy enough. How is Bruce? And where was this event?

"Those who would give up
    essential Liberty, to
    purchase a little temporary
    Safety, deserve neither
    Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin
    Franklin, 1755
    Founding member of The Fossils over Fences Clique!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

OTW is in Hardwick Ma., at Torrence Watkins farm. Absoutley stunning place.

It is really unsettling that a horse this talented and experienced and a rider this experienced (both 4-star and Olympic veterans, I believe the horse had never had a jumping penalty in x-c or stadium) could come to such grief. There should be some margin of error that isn't fatal for the horse. One wrong step shouldn't be catastrophic. I guess this horse fatality (if the rumors are true, I know nothing other than what is posted on this thread) has hit me harder than others because I've watched this horse and rider go and been awed by them. Sort of, if it can happen to them, why are we mere mortals on more average/typical eventers even trying this sport? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Don't take life so seriously...it's not permanent.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.