The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DIY Hay Bale Nets??

I just looked up hay bale nets (for square bales)... and they're $80 freakin bucks?? For a little net to cover a bale of hay, really? No thank you! Any good ideas for DIY hay bale nets?

http://www.naturalhorseworldstore.co...hay-saver-net/

$80 sounds too high, you are right. That one is $25.

You may want to do a search about bale nets, especially the large bale nets, to read about discussion on the VALUE of buying a good net. They last longer, don't need repairing, with some in use a couple years. The folks who "went cheap" moaned about the wasted money of buying cheap netting, that didn't last a day, trying to fix it, several replacement expenses, so they ended up spending MORE than the good net would have cost to start with.

The Cinch Chix nets were about the most popular choice for bigger bales, with a lot of recomendations by those posting.

With horses and food, going cheap usually is wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hearts View Post
    I just looked up hay bale nets (for square bales)... and they're $80 freakin bucks?? For a little net to cover a bale of hay, really? No thank you! Any good ideas for DIY hay bale nets?
    I don't know how large your hay bales are...are you talking small square bales (50lbs) or 4x4x8 square bales?
    Cindy

Hockey nets! But not Walmart nets - they're crap! The horses can tear through those pretty quickly.

A 78" net will easily cover a small square bale with room to spare.

Trust me, check out the Cinch Chix nets (and do a search in here and Around the Farm for other glowing reviews). They are TOUGH and last season after season with minor repairs needed, if any.

Hockey nets and other DIY ones are ok, but you'll spend more over time than if you invest in a good, quality net in the first place.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have had really good luck with my Cinch Chix net this winter.
    Two brands of hay net I can not say enough good about; Cinch Chix and Freedom Feeder.

I have to ask though, everyone keeps saying hockey nets. Where does the average person buy a hockey net?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I have had really good luck with my Cinch Chix net this winter.
    Two brands of hay net I can not say enough good about; Cinch Chix and Freedom Feeder.

I have to ask though, everyone keeps saying hockey nets. Where does the average person buy a hockey net?
    I bought my net from Arizona Sports Supply (or something like that). It's going strong after at least a year. There is an ice hockey training facility near me though, and I really need to stop in and find out what they do with their old nets
    Cindy

I use hockey goal netting that I get from here:

http://www.westcoastnetting.com/nett...2ht-1-1-2.html

First one lasted 5 years cost $50 and was still very useable but I replaced it this year with a larger one. I feed in a round bale feeder but feed chunks of big square bales.
    Feeder is plastic and easy to move so netting is fastened to feeder and I just lift it over a fresh batch of hay. I only feed enough for 1 day at a time as mine are fat pigs so free choice hay is not a good idea.

Mary