The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whinny Warmers

www.whinnywarmers.com

Anyone try these? Am thinking of getting them for my allergic draft cross. I am tired of picking up his fly boots all over the pasture!

Would love some feedback!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I haven't tried them yet but I am going to get some fly ones. Fly boots and wraps just don't work, these might. I have chatted with the owner, they keep track through feedback on how well they work, stay up etc., and have changed the fabric to make improvements. Sounds worth a try for stomping horses.

Hi Lori,
    I spoke with the owner of the business at length, and they seem like a great product!! They have a mini line coming out, and I am going to order them for my mini donkey. Feel free to contact them and ask questions...they were very helpful
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Although they might stay up well, imagine your horse is on night turnout and for whatever reason, one slips down. Will it goes come off, rip, or become something that promotes tripping? I'm assuming they can be worn with bell boots, but I'm just worried if one comes down that it will get tangled up.

I saw them at Equine Affaire last month.
    They do not look like they would slide down or cause tripping hazards. The salesperson recommended how to put them on and how to moisture proof them so that they dont absorb dew and rain causing skin problems.
    Did not buy any though still thinking about them...

I haven't tried them, but they look great. I have tried the fly boots, with no success, and was planning to try plain old tube socks this year. This looks even better, and I'd like to give it a shot.

Default Just ordered them

I just ordered the Summer Whinnys. Can't wait to get them and try them.

I use fly boots and my mare is pretty good about leaving them on, but they are a pain to put on and take off.

Hinderella: Never even thought about tube socks. Great idea. Let me know if it works.

I let you know when I get these and how they seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Meliora View Post
    Hi Lori,
    I spoke with the owner of the business at length, and they seem like a great product!! They have a mini line coming out, and I am going to order them for my mini donkey. Feel free to contact them and ask questions...they were very helpful
    THanks Heather. I am ordering them tonight. Tucker is so good about keeping the one on where the old habronema scar is, but the other 3 I am always picking up.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Ooooh, these look great, thank you for posting!
    Quarry Rat

Hi Everyone. I'm Raymond, the President of Sox For Horses, Inc. With great care not to promote, I should clear up a couple of things about our fly protection socks.

Unfortunately, we don't have draft sizes yet. I'm so sorry. We are working on them and we've got great industry minds doing so, but it takes a entirely different machine than the other socks are knit on. This means it's like starting out from scratch. We won't give up. Fit comes down to hoof size.

We tested our socks on our own horses for several years before we ever put them on the market. We would never have put our socks on the market if they had presented a danger to anyone's horse. We love horses. In all these years, since 2008 when we released the first socks, not one horse has been injured because of our socks and they are being worn on horses all over the world. How can I be sure? I'm quite certain we would have been informed by an owner if something had happened. We made them to be safe for your horse and ours.

Summer Whinnys do not require waterproofing. That was incorrect information given by a dealer at Equine Affair that has failed to study our website. Our other dealers have great interest in learning about the socks and most have them on their own horses.

Copper and Silver ions, the antimicrobial and anti fungal properties of our socks become even more active when wet. The sock fibers are designed to absorb moisture from the skin and thus create a cooling effect against the leg. So wash your horse while it's wearing the socks. Leave them on to dry. These socks love wet and their antimicrobial properties would never allow fungal infections to start!

That's it. Thanks for your time and thank you to those who have offered such kind words about them. So hey! Anyone out there with Donkeys?? I just adopted one and so I'm learning to speak Burro. All help is greatly appreciated! I want her to be so happy here. R.

1 members found this post helpful.

It was helpful of Mr. Peterson to post here.

Have any CoTHers used Summer Whinnys yet?
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Haven't tried them yet, but I'm hoping next time I have some extra cash I'd love to give them a whirl. The business owner (who posted above) is super helpful and reeally seems to be in it for the horses, not the money.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Just ordered some Summer Whinnys today -- I don't plan on using them for daily turnout, just when we're camping at endurance rides. I'll report back in a few weeks
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I have both the Whinny Warmers for cold weather and the Summer Whinnies for fly protection - we have a 29-year old mare who has arthritic knees and both these products have been wonderful for her. On very cold nights I put the Warmers on and she moves so much better with that layer of insulation.

We got the Summer Whinnies last year and she was familiar with the process because of the Warmers - but initially seemed a bit puzzled as to why I was putting these on in the heat. But the instant I got the first one on and pulled it up on her leg, she realized - NO FLIES! She literally lifted up her other legs one by one so we could get the other three on.

This year I also put them on my gelding, who loved them too.

The products are well-made - we are still using the original 2 sets of Warmers that we bought and they are in excellent condition. The Summer Whinnies do get dirty - they are white - but they wash well and I have learned I don't need to take them on and off my older (retired from riding) mare - we can hose them down right on her legs.

Have had zero problem with either ones coming down over the hooves - they do slide down the legs over the course of a 24-hour period but we just pull them back up and they're all set again.

Customer service is beyond reproach, and the owners do a lot of donating of products to rescues and sanctuaries for horses and donkeys.

Use a plastic bag to put them on - it makes it so much easier to get them over the hoof. My horse helps me out by pushing his leg gently forward as I slide them up - once they know what they do, they seem to want to help you get them on!

If you have horses with no white on their legs make sure to take your camera out the first time you put them on - it's like having a brand new horse with four white stockings - a lot of fun seeing all that white.

They look fun, I wonder if anyone in Canada is making something similar?

I love the look and the concept of the Summer Whinnies. Plan on getting a bunch for the critters for their summer wardrobe and VERY neat to hear you dont have to take them off to wash them - a hosing off will do the trick nicely

Thanks for starting this thread - another neat product to try!

I wonder how they would work for a horse prone to mud fever?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    www.whinnywarmers.com

Anyone try these? Am thinking of getting them for my allergic draft cross. I am tired of picking up his fly boots all over the pasture!

Would love some feedback!
    they are using some very inexpensive "compression" tube stockinette that one could find at any physical therapy clinic- call around your area and buy some to try

I wonder. Could one use regular old women's nylon stockings for fly netting?

Quote Originally Posted by horseshrink View Post
    Hinderella: Never even thought about tube socks. Great idea. Let me know if it works.
    They slide down readily. Tried them with clip on shoes/hoof boots years ago. I imagine the whinnywarmers slide down too and more frequently than the blurb indicates.

The only fly boots that have stayed up, IME, are the Cashels but they bug the living daylights out of some horses, even those with no problem using polos, SMBs and shipping boots. Have no idea why (scratchy?) but I wouldn't buy them again. YMMV.