The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Massage therapy, Clemson, don't forget the massage therapy!
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Duffy, from what I read in the paper, dog parks are the latest rage in NoVa - Arlington and Fairfax anyway.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Well shooooot, then I most definitely need to do some investigating. . .Although the barn and shows provide plenty of playmates for Pepper already! LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But hey, ya never know who you might meet, right? hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

PEEPS!

My old retired A/A horse loves Peeps. He has Easter marked on the calendar.

I like to let them get a little sticky and stick them to his forehead. Ever see a horse cross his eyes?

Nina (who works in the town where they make Peeps - big article in the local paper every year)

and Ralph ("Show me the bunny!")

and the Real Chrissy (who wouldn't eat a Peep if her life depended on it)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rescuemom:
    Duffy, from what I read in the paper, dog parks are the latest rage in NoVa - Arlington and Fairfax anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes people are always fighting about it in the papers!! I've at least read two or three articles on it in either the Post or the Fairfax something . . . And I am only home 3 months out of the year!!

sounds like a job for Duffy and me to get on!!
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

Jeb your poor dog, I'm sure they sense this sort of disapproval and internalize it to reappear as some type of neurotic behaviour later on. Having been the member of some of the most wonderful dog parks- legal and illegal!- I can't imagine this group. Espically as my dog is the original alpha female and regards Jack Russells as amusing little toys (knock 'em down they just keep getting back up!). Actually she is a wonderful dog and has never actually bitten another (intimidation being her preferred technique) but our current group tend to greet Her Bossiness's antics with cheers and gasps of delight. She was in fact voted All Around Cutest and Most Appealing Dog in a dog park poll recently. Head was so swollen I barely got her leash off. I can't imagine if this Darwinian lot got together with your group. They would never see their tennis balls again, that's for sure.
    BTW that Peeps site is the funniest thing I have seen in ages. Waaay too much time on their hands.

[This message has been edited by letsgo (edited 10-15-2000).]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

As long as we are bringing back the Greatest Hits Parade...

Voila! The ORIGINAL quiche thread. or how I learned to stop worrying and eat baby quiches...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Why wade through recent drivel when we have such memories?

How ironic, I went to the BLM/Meadowood Stables land swap meeting in Lorton on Saturday and one of the discussions was about dog parks at South Run Park where the original plan called for trailer parking for the equestrian venue!

What goes around comes around.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Thanks for bringing this back up - I think I missed it the first time around!

Sarah * AKA "Regal's Person"
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

A couple years ago my family had this huge bad as$ looking Doberman. People would cross the street to avoid walking by us. But the truth was that Desmo was one of the most sweetest, playful and harmful dogs ever. It gave us all a big kick seeing other people's reactions. Anyways we went to visit my aunt who lived in a very elite neighborhood, complete with dog park. She suggested we take Desmo there for a run and a swim. Well we take him there, let him off the leash and all hell breaks loose. He runs up to a dog, tail wagging as friendly as you please and some horrified looking woman runs up and scoops up her dog, yelling at poor Desmo to leave her little baby alone. So he goes to play with another dog-same reaction, this time people all over are scooping up their dogs, tut-tutting, and sending us dirty looks muttering things like "the nerve.." and "the things they let in this place now.." Next this Jack Russel escapes from his owner's clutches and comes bounding up to Desmo, barking his head off. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife. Desmo just stares. The Jack Russel proceeds to hurl himself upon Desmo's neck and hang on with his teeth. Desmo goes iy iying around the lake with the little &^%* still hanging off of him. Finally the dog lets go and Desmo runs up to us with his tail between his legs, cowering. We promptly left after a few choice word's to the JR's owner. It was a terrible, if slightly humourous experience but I will never go to a dog park again!

Is not a free-for-all for dogs. It's a place designed for the responsible dog owner to run and curb his dog (always take plastic bags with you, please, and clean up!). I would think that any well-behaved dog, once given the opportunity to socialize a bit with other dogs (supervised, of course), would be safe to run around and play for an hour or so.

I think a well-designed dog park would have a "socialization" area where being leashed is required. You should go there when you arrive and allow your dog to socialize with the other dogs before you turn them loose to run/play, etc.

In this original scenario, however, I think the dog owners were actually verbalizing their insecurities by speaking through their dogs. (God, why didn't I become a therapist? You know, every drunk person at a bar seeks me out - I must have a homing device installed - and tells me their woes. I feel like Lucy from Peanuts. "The Doctor is In!") The one woman likely wanted to establish her presence at the after school beer bust by making the "alpha" comment.

And for the record ... people who shop at Sam's and drive mini-vans are NOT socially viable anyway. So either accept your lot in life as an average person, and be happy about it, or start shopping at Harrod's and tooling around town in an Alfa Romeo! Frozen lasagna. Gag.

Seriously, it seems as if Loulou is a delightful dog, devoid of any negative behaviors. I'm curious to know if she's still going to the park and if they've erected a statue to St. Joe (everything in New Orleans is capable of being a Saint), Evictor of the Bitches, yet!

Robby, who doesn't want more choices, just nicer things!
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

What is it about February that makes me think of this thread?

It must have something to do with the fact that it was 70 on Monday, and 7 today... Rapid weather changes warp the mind, I guess...

"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty. "
    - Sacha Guitry (1885-1957) *
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But the truth was that Desmo was one of the most sweetest, playful and harmful dogs ever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Is someone in your family a Ducati fan? Or is there some other reason for the name "Desmo"?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Here is one of my favorite links:

The World of Peeps

I invite you to go to the recipe and craft section. My lord the things you can do with a peep! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm trying to think of anything that could be more sacreligious. Nothing is coming to mind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

This is such a funny thread!

Jeb darling, you must try to post more often!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    You Strike Me Still

Yay it's back.

Since the last post I think that there have been numerous advancements in the Dog Park industry. We would have to install elipticals instead of treadmills to prevent any stress on the joints of our precious pooches.

did we ever venture into the land of pigs-in-a-blanket??? I mean what about those poor miniature pigs that are killed only to be wrapped in a blanket of fluffly croissant like bread??

- - - - - -
    "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

I moved this over here ... where it seems more appropriate somehow! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

Attendants (all swarthy and male, BTW) at my side, I am aswoon that you'd unleash such vitriol, Mr. Robby, soon-to-be-my-Elton. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Leash-free parks - I have a most splendid one across from my house where the glorious Lake Ontario sprawls before me, the CN Tower visible, sailboats dotting the lake; where men with small penises like to preen with their untrained, incorrigible, and utterly vicious dogs.

At heart, I'm a Jack Russell - small and frenetic, but with a vicious bite. I'm starting to feel like the Chyna of leash-free parks.