The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Long Live Harris-Teeters... and Harry's Farmer's Market! I know what you mean about totally strange names... Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie (was there like a Mr. Winn who loved Dixie?)... but I do think the Jitney Jungle may have to just win the contest, especially since I am not sure what jitneys have to do with groceries?

Oh, I have consulted several wine experts and they strongly recommend a Georgian red wine, preferably a 2000 Chateau Elan Grapee du Clay...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Chateau Elan...good call. I was thinking a Biltmore label, but it's not worth the $32 to get into the winery.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I love Jeb. Jeb makes me laugh.

Jeb, have you ever stopped to think that really, these people should be worrying about gaining your acceptance versus you and Lou Lou gaining theirs? Do you really want to be confused with those who shop at Sam's Club? And how would Lou Lou really look bounding around in the back of one of those gawdawful Chrysler vans? Jeb, something tells me you and Lou Lou enjoy a nice bottle of Dom over Chardonnay anyday. Darling, don't mingle with the commoners. You and Lou Lou just start your own little circle...something tells me, you've already got that goin' on, honey.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeb:
    Chateau Elan...good call. I was thinking a Biltmore label, but it's not worth the $32 to get into the winery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Plus, let's face it, Chateau Elan has a MUCH higher quality of clay for the rare Grapee du Clay vintage. However, if you choose to spring for the Biltmore brand, I will be happy to smuggle you in with my annual pass.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

DMK - you are just so well read on so many things, aren't you? Let's see, I have gone to you on advice on my OTTB and now, when I throw my little fete for the girls, I can give you a call for ideas for the wine list. I love this board!

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Jeb, I applaude you for what I believe may well be the first mention of the Trilateral Commission on this BB. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If only Loulou were male and had gone to Yale, he might have had the honor of being in Skull & Bones. However, I believe her status as a Kappa sister (or was she perhaps a Theta or Tri-Delt?), with it's virtual guarantee of eventual full membership in the Junior League, should be enough to give her entree to the correct places. Perhaps she just needs to do some fashionable charity work -- maybe throw a Tea to raise awareness of the need for new landscaping at the Civic Center?

[This message has been edited by Portia (edited 10-12-2000).]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Anyplace: thanks for the moral support. Yeah, who needs those clay-eating backyarders anyhow? LOL Feel free to come for Mardi Gras and we'll pelt them with beads and doubloons!

Portia: I lived near Houston back when Carolyn Farb took that exact track! From Neiman's clerk to River Oaks in how many steps? Tried and true. Oh, and Loulou was a definite Chi Omega - triple legacy on her maternal side, don't ya know!

Right now, we are BOTH attempting to learn more about the horrible plight of the Baby Quiches. More on this later.

[This message has been edited by Jeb (edited 10-12-2000).]

Perhaps she just needs to do some fashionable charity work -- maybe throw a Tea to raise awareness of the need for new landscaping at the Civic Center?

Could LouLou not take on the plight of those poor baby quiches? It just breaks my heart to think of those poor quivering little cheeslets, wrenched away from their families. Might I suggest a Million Quiche March? http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Headlines from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "Million Quiche March Dwindles; Crosses Into Buckhead on Sunday Morning as Angry Brunchers Rallied a Counter-Protest; Hundreds Feared Eaten"

Nah...I couldn't have that on my conscience.

Have a little fun! Bring a load of road apples, let the pooches munch away, and when it is all gone, tell the ladies what road apples really are!

Fear not, Jeb!!! I can assure you the AJC would NEVER take on so controversial of a topic!!!

Oh, but I'm not sure you can handle the plight of baby quiches... the horror of their little, tiny shrieks as they are seperated from their loving parents, the quiet sobs of the loving mother quiches. And the transportation conditions! Did you know that those trucks are kept at just above freezing?! Have you ever heard of anything so awful? And we won't even go into the fact that they are considered a "microwaveable" food...

LOL, I haven't laughed this hard in a VERY long time, ya'll are just too funny.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Keep it up! Keep it up!

I'm curious to know if the Junior Quiche Protection Society has a Constitution and Bill of Rights, and if it includes anything about all being created equal unless frozen....?

However, I am not nearly as entertaining as everyone else, so I shall not continue. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well Jeb, we'll just have to call it the . . .

Boxer Rebellion! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 10-12-2000).]
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Did you know that the '80's slogan "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" was an early front for the Quiche Protection movement?

One must wonder if all those who claim that terrorizing poor little quiches in the name of "interesting hors d'oeuvres" or "fabulous finger food" have any idea of the devastating effect such early removal from one's parents really has on such a young morsel.

For heavens sake, lets put a stop to such a horror - write your Congressman, get the Junior League to take them out of their cook-books - do they even understand the terror they propogate with such things?

We have a newly opened dog park in out area...went there ( for the 3rd time) on Monday, and was confronted with a lady with a strange haircut and mustache who asked everyone that came in "Is this your first time ?" hmmmnnnn....first time doing WHAT? exactly, lol. Then this other woman says, with fear in her voice, "Oh, is that a Doberman?" ummmm, no, its a german shorthair, and they look NOTHING alike. i wish somebody WOULD bring the Kendall- Jackson, although with the hangover i got from chardonnay on friday maybe thats not such a good idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeb:

Actually, this neighborhood is really great! It is in a "hysterical district" and all the houses are old and mostly renovated.

The dog park is on the levee, right by the banks of the mighty Mississippi. Just across the river is downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooo, you're right across the river from one of my favorite cities in the world!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ah, it's nice to read a funny, relaxed thread for a change. Are you planning on going back to the dog park? keep us posted!
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Hey, all, I would urge you to be very careful in expressing further negative sentiments regarding the treatment of the baby quiche. Sure, sure, we all agree that reform is necessary, but I am concerned that continued discussion could lead to intervention by PETF. (You know, People for the Ethical Treatment of Fromage.)

[This message has been edited by LucianCephus (edited 10-13-2000).]

Jeb, I had a thought - maybe you could print the "horse poo eating canine" thread and give it out at your next "park meeting" - might be kind of an interesting ice breaker, don't you think?!

Urchin - too funny!! LOL I think the poo-eaters should all storm the Dog Park! Let 'em eat quiche!!

Did show up to the Dog Park last evening. The coven must have broken up early in order to prepare for the rising full moon last night, so it wasn't as busy. Maybe Sprawl-Mart was having a sale on Sam's Choice Box-O-Merlot and I didn't know it.

Where's Colin? I just know she and perfect Felix would fit right in!!! (Complete with cinnamon buns over her ears a la Princess Leah!) And, of course, it goes without saying that Perfect Pepper would too!!! I think we need to find one closer to home though. . .sigh. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Duffy (edited 10-13-2000).]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E