The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting Rid of Under Eye Circles

Does anyone have any recommendations on getting rid of dark circles/puffiness under your eyes?

I have tried Strivectin, and it seems ok but doesn't really last. I'm always tired, but I'd prefer not to look it! So if anyone has a "go-to" cream, gel, magic potion that they swear by, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Are you hydrated?

Do you have allergies? I'm very fair skinned, and my under eye area looks much darker and puffier if I don't take my meds religiously. I had limited success with L'Occitane brand eye cream, but what really helps is taking AllegraD at least once a day, twice when the mold & pollen counts are high.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I stay hydrated and exercise 5 days a week (weights/cardio) in addition to riding. I eat decently although by no means perfect. My mom gets dark circles as well when she is tired, so it may be genetic (thanks, Mom!).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    Do you have allergies? I'm very fair skinned, and my under eye area looks much darker and puffier if I don't take my meds religiously. I had limited success with L'Occitane brand eye cream, but what really helps is taking AllegraD at least once a day, twice when the mold & pollen counts are high.

BES
    I don't think I have allergies, but I do get some irritation when pollen counts are pretty high. Maybe I'll try an allergy pill to see if it helps at all. Does it make you loopy like Benadryl?

The newer generation allergy pills (zyrtec, claritin, allegra) are supposed to be non-drowsy. I've never been sleepy with them, but of course every is affected differently by meds. I have pretty bad allergies, so I'm not sure I'd notice....I'm just happy to be able to breathe.

The downside is that none of them, in my experience (and I've tried them all at one point or another), work quite as well as Benadryl. But benadryl completely zonks me out, so I save it for times when I'm absolutely miserable and take it right before bed.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I was hoping there would be some great suggesrions on here because I have dark circles, also. Most of what I've read says it's genetic (thanks mom, where ever you are!). I do eye excercises that help fill in the hollow but it does nothing for the darkness

Garnier under eye roller concealer. Stuff is fab.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I was watching The Doctors (network TV) and the woman MD's suggested putting some arnica gel under the eye for several minutes, then wiping it off. Claims it works well. It is not expensive.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I had to look arnica gel up to find out what it is but it sounds like amazing stuff. If it doesn't work for dark circles it can still be used for aches & pains. It's safe, proven to work as well as Advil cream, and it's CHEAP! I'm going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
    I do eye excercises that help fill in the hollow but it does nothing for the darkness
    Eye exercises?! Do share.

I'm on my phone so can't post a link, hopefully I'll get to a computer before OT day is over. Search something like "How to get rid of hollows under your eyes" & look for eye exercises. They do work some & I'm still doing them so maybe they'll get better.

I've heard that the Loreal Collagen Micropulse for eyes is really good. I haven't used it yet, but kut will probably buy it and try it on my next trip to the pharmacy.

Those in medicine look at chronic black circles as allergy problems. You may have food or environmental allergies and not know it. You can get allergy testing done - results might surprise you.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

I find this stuff to really help reduce the appearance of my dark circles. Doesn't eliminate them, but helps a lot. I apply it in the AM, under my sunscreen. Saw results in less than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I find this stuff to really help reduce the appearance of my dark circles. Doesn't eliminate them, but helps a lot. I apply it in the AM, under my sunscreen. Saw results in less than a week.
    I almost bought that stuff from Philosophy today! I was being cheap though and decided against it. I got some Zyrtec and the Aveeno roll-y ball eye thing. I'll use that in conjunction with the rest of my Strivectin and see if that does anything.