The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Older cat losing weight

I have a 16 year old cat who is losing condition. She was an indoor/outdoor cat but in the last 2 years (when the youngest of us left for college) she stopped going outside. She lives with my parents who adore her, but say she mostly just sits in 'her spot' all day. I guess not moving around she's lost a lot of muscle tone. She gets wet cat food twice a day (I'm not sure what kind) and I hesitate to change her food because she has terrible allergies.

What can we do to keep her fat and happy? I was thinking I could take her to the vet while I'm home and get them to run blood work on her and make sure all systems are working. Do you think arthritis medication might get her moving around more? Something else? Or is this just an old cat getting older

Older cats often develop hyperthyroidism, which causes them to lose weight, despite getting enough calories. Kidney disease can also cause them to drop.

First thing to do is to get her to the vet for some bloodwork, which it sounds like you're planning. After that, you can decide how best to improve her condition.

I agree that bloodwork is a good idea. My guess is a thyroid condition, but lots of things can go wrong with older animals.

The three most common diseases in older cats: Hyperthyroidism, Renal disease, GI inflammation/neoplasia.

Luckily, all are usually quite responsive to medical management and not expensive to treat. Best of luck!!

And on a side note, cats typically dont show signs of arthritis like dogs do. They can, but usually lack of moving around is because something else is happening internally.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    I agree that bloodwork is a good idea. My guess is a thyroid condition, but lots of things can go wrong with older animals.
    Yeah - my older cat had the symptoms you were describing and runny eyes too. She also mewowed constantly, especially whenever my mom was in the kitchen or laundry room (their food is in the laundry room). She's on thyroid meds 1x a day, has been for awhile now and I think will be for the rest of her life. She's now just fine!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If it does turn out to be a hyperactive thyroid gland, the good thing is that the medication isn't as foul tasting as most. You can grind the pills up and mix them into a tablespoon of canned food instead of struggling to get the pill down the cat's throat. I've heard there is also a topical you can put on the cat's ear. I've never tried it, so I've no idea how well it works or if the cat's ears get goopy.

Glad you are getting bloodwork done! That will tell you a lot. I've had several with renal issues which certainly can cause loss of muscle tone, but as others have said, could be other things as well. Sounds like your kitty is well loved!!