The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sad over something silly...

I gave my Mum my first car when I bought a truck. We've owned it for almost ten years now.

Lately, it's been having problems and is costing a fortune to keep on the road, so she's decided it is time to send it to the scrapheap in the sky.

I feel really sad that it is going. It has taken me many places- and many thousands of miles. I'll miss it.

(I know it's stupid to be sad over a car, but I am. We've had it that long, it's like another part of the family.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I understand. My first car, a '92 Camry, was given to my little sister to drive around town when it became apparent that it wouldn't stand up to 6 hour highway drives to get me home from college. It was totaled a few months later (NOT sis's fault)

She was going through an intersection (green light, so clearly she had the right of way) when a pickup truck ran the red light and t-boned her on the driver's side. She was lucky to be survive with only minor injuries. The lady in the car behind her was an off duty EMT, and she called it in as a fatal or near fatal crash, thinking the truck hit the front seat (hit the rear seat instead). When my sister got out of the car, the EMT said to her "You're alive. I thought you were dead."

I'm glad my sister was OK, but I still miss that car. It was built like a miniature tank.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Wow! Glad your sister is okay!

I feel silly because I'm sad over this. I know it's only a car, but I've spent a lot of time in it.

Default I understand completely

My first car was a 66 VW. It was of course a stick shift which I learned instantly to drive. As I recall, I got it licenced, and within a day or so, drove from Missouri to Louisiana for a festival, This was only a few years after Woodstock and they were all over. Did many cool things with that car. I cried my eyes out when I sold it. Even though I bought a NEW CAR! Within a month or two, I was called by police or some law enforcment agency saying it had been abandoned. That made me even more sad. But I did get over it. Think of it as if you lost a cat, dog, or horse. Of course you would grieve, but you wouldn't
    wear black crepe for the rest of your life would you? Just remember the good times, and even raise a toast to the brave good car that was so much a part of your life.
    Another killer of threads

My second car was a 66 VW and then DH and I bought a second. The adventures we had in those things....my favorite was when the engine blew
    at the Colorado/Kansas border after a week's camping vacation in Colorado.
    It made it to Pikes Peak but not back to St. Louis. Getting it back to St. Louis to get fixed was an adventure in itself. DH was in college, we only had
    a Shell credit card and not a lot of bucks left in wallet. ATM's weren't exactly
    plentiful. Finally traded it years later when the holes in the floorboards got
    to be a major problem--driving in rain meant wet feet. It was sad to see it go.

Last summer, we traded my 1997 Expedition after 12 years of ownership. What a work horse she was and required very little maintenance. Took pictures of her before we handed the keys over to the dealer. We now have a 2005 model but she's being a pit of a prima donna in the maintenance department...sigh! The 1997 one will always be my favorite....

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My first car was a 1965 Mustang. Loved it, but it was sold when I went to spend a year wandering around Europe. When I got back I inherited a 1967 VW Bug and drove that thing for more than ten years. But it had gotten too unreliable for long distance travel in the late 1970's, so I passed in on friends who passed on. I never did know what became of Matilda, The Mule, but I've wanted a working old Bug ever since.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

For me, it's not a car, it's sillier - it's a microwave.

I donated a microwave to my colleagues at work when the microwave there burnt out. I look at it fondly, pat it sometimes when I walk by, and worry about how it's being mistreated. It sounds ridiculous, but the microwave is 21 years old and it went through three houses when I was a child, off to college with me, across the country to grad school with me, and then across the country again to my current apartment (which has a built-in microwave). I mean, it's a microwave and it spent a year sitting unused in my living room. But I've moved a lot and apparently I'm attached to one of the few things to survive all that moving.

I bawled and I mean howling, tears like water works down my face when my parents traded old 'betsy' in for shiny, new 'Betsy'. Lol I was five but I remember that day like yesterday.

I can still remember the car salesman waving good bye with a big smile on his face.... Which brought on even more howling lol.

I feel your pain girl! Big hugs!

When I went to replace Charlotte Camry, the '84 that had been bought new and then passed down to me, what I really wanted was Charlotte Camry brand new again, but at 280K and things just starting to fall off and break in 2002 I had to cave and buy a newer one.

It's funny but I do have an attachment to cooking utensils - I still have my Mom's Revereware that she got new for her wedding in '54. Everytime a lid gets lost or the bottom finally burns out of one it hurts somehow.

I guess that's what they really mean by sentimental value.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I had a '95 or so Trooper that I put about 150K miles on. We gave it to our younger daughter who was going through some tight finances. She never liked it, moved from GA to MI and sold it for several thousand dollars in MI, garage kept with NO RUST.

I cried
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Talking

Appliances have feelings too! I always pat mine and thank them for their years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    Appliances have feelings too! I always pat mine and thank them for their years of service.
    I've been informed that my Bernina 1630 sewing machine will be unfixable if (when) its main board goes out. That will be a sad day especially since its very expensive feet do not fit the newer machines.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thank you! I'm glad I've found people who understand.

I think if you spend enough time with something, it develops a 'personality'- it has quirks that you know off by heart.